What Happened to this Explorex?

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 08:48
ThreadID: 92281 Views:2862 Replies:5 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Image Could Not Be Found

I was just wondering how this Explorex would have sustained such significant damage – both sides are severely damaged. If it was a roll-over I would have thought the roof area would be a lot more damaged? Any thoughts?
Also a question – it’s a repairable write-off. Once repaired and it goes back on the market is there any way the next buyer would be aware of its history, especially if its sold in another state to where it was originally declared a “repairable write-off”?

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 09:12

Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 09:12
High speed through a flock Parrots.

Or between two trees.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 479366

Reply By: Member - Shane D (QLD) - Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 09:20

Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 09:20
Like Doug said, it may have left the road and gone between some trees.

As far as repairable write-off go, the chassiss/vin number gets put onto a register and can be checked
Shane
AnswerID: 479369

Follow Up By: Member - Wamuranman - Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 09:49

Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 09:49
Shane, Is that register a national one - or State based only?

FollowupID: 754826

Follow Up By: blown4by - Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 10:43

Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 10:43
All vehicles classified as written off by insurance Companies go on a national register called NEVDIS. (National Exchange of Vehicle & Driver Information System) You can find out if a vehicle is on the WOVR (Written Off Vehicle Register) by contacting your State licensing authority with the VIN but there is no obligation on the seller (unless it is being auctioned) to tell a buyer that it is on the WOVR. It is up to a prospective buyer to make that enquiry just as applies if it were listed as stolen or there was outstanding finance payments to be made. i.e. Caveat Emptor = Let the buyer beware. FYI the are two types of write off categories. Statutory Write Off = Can never be registered for road use again but can be used for parts. Economic Write Off = The insurance Company has decided for economic reasons to pay out the policy based on the market value/agreed value or whatever to the insured. Sometimes the insured will choose to buy the wreck back off the insurance Company and repair the vehicle. One important thing to bear in mind is that if the vehicle is not insured or if the vehicle is under insured or the insurance Company denies the claim (e.g. Drunk driver, etc) then it is possible that whilst the vehicle would be classed as a write off it may never be entered on the WOVR. The only way such a vehicle can be recorded on the WOVR is if it were to be 'reported' by a 'responsible person' or 'authority'.
FollowupID: 754833

Follow Up By: Member - Shane D (QLD) - Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 11:02

Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 11:02
If you google PPSR, you can do your own search to see if what your looking at is on the Written Off Vehicle Register for a fee, It would cost me the princely sum of $3.70 for me to check my cruiser by rego if it has encumbrance or been put on to WOVR
As Blown4by has outlined, it up to the "good" people to record onto the WOVR (It's the law), however any auction house or dealer MUST record damaged vehicles.

As far as I can tell it was once just a state thing, but now it is federal register

Shane
FollowupID: 754840

Reply By: Notso - Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 09:41

Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 09:41
Caught between a rock and a hard place!!
AnswerID: 479375

Reply By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 10:43

Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 10:43
interesting photo!..where was this taken?

We own an ExplorEx and it was with great interest I looked at the photo.

From what I can see the basic integrity of the structure may be ok despite the horriffic skin damage. But then again how much is cosmetic and how serious it is one cant tell until the cladding is removed and the frame area inspected...particularly the front end.

Either way I reckon Greg and Dave at Explorex would be very interested in this ..(if they dont already know about it) as they take great pride in their vans and the toughness of them ..lifetime warranty on structure

I have sent them a link to see if any info......

cheers

Graeme
Life is a journey, it is not how we fall down, it is how we get up.
VKS 1341

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 479388

Follow Up By: Member - Wamuranman - Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 11:00

Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 11:00
Graeme,

The van is being auctioned on 18/04/2012 by Pickles at a place called Welshpool in WA. I presume the photo was taken on the auction yard.
Thats all I know - I was just searching for caravans being auctioned and I came across it. You are correct - for significant damage it seems remarkably well preserved structurally - but would need a closer inspection to be sure. I am not interested in buying it (I am in Qld) but I couldn't work out in my mind how it would have sustained such damage on both sides only-jyst interested to know.
FollowupID: 754836

Follow Up By: 3 - Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 14:43

Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 14:43
Graeme,
When I saw the Explorex I went "oh no". Phew !
Willie
FollowupID: 754899

Follow Up By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 19:30

Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 19:30
thanks Willie ! need a few nuggets to repair that one.......
Life is a journey, it is not how we fall down, it is how we get up.
VKS 1341

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 754940

Follow Up By: patrick s1 - Monday, Mar 12, 2012 at 22:45

Monday, Mar 12, 2012 at 22:45
called auctioneers they say it was a rollover find out more at auction
FollowupID: 755700

Follow Up By: Member - Wamuranman - Tuesday, Mar 13, 2012 at 19:58

Tuesday, Mar 13, 2012 at 19:58
Well that is quite amazing structurally for a rollover. I passed a rollover on the Bruce Highway a few years ago and it was squashed to about 1 metre high.
Cheers.
FollowupID: 755784

Reply By: get outmore - Monday, Mar 05, 2012 at 01:24

Monday, Mar 05, 2012 at 01:24
Just way to immposable to tell

it might have touched a sappling while being parked in the van park and literelly just fee apart

or it could have been sideswiped by a truck with the truck coming off second best
AnswerID: 479491

Sponsored Links