Diesel prices in Australia

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 10:28
ThreadID: 92285 Views:3082 Replies:10 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Many travellers on this site use Diesel vehicles as their preferred vehicle for travelling this wide brown land.

However, on big problem with Diesel is the current rip-off pricing of diesel, with diesel being 10 to 20 cents per litre more expensive than petrol.

And if you complain to the garage, the answer is often, "Don't blame us, the price is based on the Singapore prices"

Have you then ever wondered what the Singapore prices really are ? Well I did a big of google searching and I found this:

http://www.petrolwatch.com.sg/

This site has the current fuel prices in Singapore.

At the time of writing 92 Unleaded is $2.15 Cents per litre and Diesel is $1.71 Cents per litre (Singapore Dollars). As you can see diesel is much cheaper than petrol.

So next time you are filling up your diesel 4x4 wondering why diesel is so expensive, remember it has nothing to do with the Singapore price and more to do with the big Rip-Off by Oil companies in Australia.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 10:50

Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 10:50
Price differential between diesel and unleaded is less in the bush, due to petrol discounting that occurs in the city but rarely in the bush. Fuel companies rarely discount diesel to the consumer.

I guess that Singapore price difference is due to a difference in government taxes between the two fuels. IF it is like New Zealand the last time I used diesel there, the Government catches up up with diesel users elsewhere!
You want to use the same logic you could quote that many large Australian diesel users don't pay the Government's approx 36c/L diesel fuel exise after the rebate either.
AnswerID: 479390

Follow Up By: Mr Pointyhead - Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 11:27

Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 11:27
Hi Mark,
I did a bit more research and you are correct. There is an additional $.44 cpl excise on ULP in Singapore.

So this means that if you add the .44 to the price of diesel (1.71) it comes out at $2.15 CPL, the same as 92 ROL ULP.

So why then is diesel still more expensive in Australia than 92 RON other than a oil company rip- off ?

If the diesel pricing in Australia truly reflected the current Singapore price Diesel would be the same as 92 ULP. Where I live diesel is about 11 CPL more expensive than 92 ULP, and as I live in a regional area I do not see the discount cycles of the capital cities neither.

So the retail price of diesel is still price gouging by the Austrailan fuel companies.
FollowupID: 754847

Reply By: Aussie Camper - Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 10:51

Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 10:51
I'm paying $1.55 at the moment in a small town.

Facts and weekly diesel report.
http://www.aip.com.au/pricing/facts/Weekly_Diesel_Prices_Report.htm

singapore price exchange
http://www.x-rates.com/d/SGD/table.html
AnswerID: 479392

Follow Up By: Mr Pointyhead - Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 11:18

Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 11:18
"here is no retail discounting cycle (ie. sawtooth pattern) for diesel, as only 25% of diesel is sold through retail outlets and most of this goes to contract or fuel card customers rather than private motorists; most diesel is sold in bulk to commercial/industrial customers (eg. mining, transport and farming) on long term contract; such contracts are subject to rigorous competition under regular market tenders."

So the Australian retail diesel user gets ripped off .....
Why ?
Because the oil industry and fuel station owners can rip off the retail diesel user. And they even admit it on there web site.

BTW, I live in a regional area are Diesel is usually 10 to 20 cpl more expensive than petrol here. Also I regularly do the Newell and I have seen the same pattern on the fuel stops there ....

FollowupID: 754845

Reply By: Member Andys Adventures - Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 11:22

Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 11:22
It stops the USV in the city, mum in the 7 seater with one child. The price up here is $2.00 unleaded and $1.87 diesel. So when your paying $1.40 just think of us in remote areas.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 479403

Reply By: Member - Joe n Mel n kids (FNQ - Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 12:07

Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 12:07
it is all good to bring it back up time and time again and it gets bites but really pointless attacking the garage owner when YOU can simply drive to the next garage and you have options to buy, you know that you can also buy it in bulk, at a discount price, store it, use it and save ????????
If we are serious we would got to the wholesalers, BP/SHELL/ ect and have a go at them or even better the govt who taxes it, it has SQUAT to do with Singapore as you know and the garage owner knows but he probally is so bleedin sick of people complaining to him about it he now spins this wild story about Singapore and the people run (drive) home and spend hours on the net trying to work out what the hell he was on about, and he finishes work with a smile as both you, me and them should .........
If we want to complian walk into BP or Shell head office or a GOVT office and at least MEAN what we say, dont stab the garage owner as he is only trying to make a living and to be honest he is getting SICK of it...
Cheers
Joe
AnswerID: 479412

Follow Up By: Member - Mfewster(SA) - Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 21:23

Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 21:23
No, it has lots to do with Singapore. But when people refer to the "Singapore price" they aren't referring to the street retail price in Singapore, they are referring to the Singapore Commodities market and that is a totally different thing.
It's swings and roundabouts. If the Australian dollar was l0% lower, we would be selling more farm products but fuel would be that much dearer. Hard to accept, but fuel prices here are really not bad because of our high dollar. If the dollar falls back to the levels it was five years ago, 4wds will become an endangered species and God help those who live in the bush.
FollowupID: 754957

Reply By: Member - Minty (SA) - Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 12:18

Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 12:18
Current exchange rate

1 SGD = 0.7437 AUD
1 AUD = 1.3446 SGD

Therefore Singapore $2.15 = Aust $1.60

Therefore those in Singapore pay pay more for their diesel.
Adelaide diesel is about $1.501ish at the mo'
AnswerID: 479414

Reply By: garrycol - Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 12:51

Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 12:51
That Singapore price watch site has the retail price - that is not what our prices are linked to.

We are linked to the Singapore bulk price (basically the wholesale refinery price) - this price is primarily determined by the fuel demand in Asia - a cold winter and the price goes up.

The price of fuel everywhere is not determined by the cost of production but supply and demand.

Garry
AnswerID: 479417

Reply By: Dust-Devil - Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 14:42

Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 14:42
Trendsetters

I just love this thread when it pops up from time to time, as I live in Melbourne and and there are three (3) Diesels in our family.

We use the shopper dockets which give us 4c/8c discount per litre on Shell and a combination of same plus store discount at a particular BP in the outer SE of Melbourne also gives 4c a litre.

Over recent times this has averaged the priced of diesel at around $1.40 per litre.

Now this is the best part, when I visit my brother in Angaston SA in my 200 series, I can do it on just over half a tank, bypassing the 'elevated pricing structures' in between. (full load 135L)

Yep, that 200 averages 10l per 100kms on the trip except if towing something, then all bets are off as depending on the towing load it can drink it like a fish. (LOL).

On Occasion I will even go from my place to Ex Member Roachies place in Kadina on the Yorke Peninsular on a full load.

Point being I just love diesel vehicles (especially CRD's) after driving expensive petrol guzzlers most of my life.

As far as I can see the relative stable price of diesel far outweighs in benefit anything similar that may be attributed to Petrol with its wildly fluctuating pricing.

Forget about Singapore Pricing, ACCC, Bass Strait Storms, Middle East Instability, USA Presidential Elections etc etc etc - if it was possible to place all the Federal Parliamentary Members gonads in a vice and then slowly close it shut, you would see almost instantly how our National fuel pricing structure is reduced to what it really is. - A STROKE OF THE LEGISLATIVE PEN.

So, unless the Fed Govt. gonad vice is employed, there is no point in complaining, bitching etc, we just have to suck it up as they say and enjoy the privilege of doing so.

DD

PS

I didn't forget Woolworths/Caltex shopper dockets. Have tried the Vortex Diesel and the 200 just drinks it like a super chilled beer on 40deg day. Only use it now as matter of last resort.
AnswerID: 479427

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 14:55

Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 14:55
shopadockets-when they first came out fuel was around $1, 4 cents was 4% discount.
Now it varies over the last few years $1.50-$2, which is 2-3%.
Anyone who denies that the price will trend up is a fool, so look where the "discount" is heading?
Meanwhile Independants fall off the wagon one by one and therell be NO alternative to Mr Coles and Woolies.
Certainly in our area of WA the pricing between Coles discount and Gull is actually only about 1 or 2 cents, which I am more than happy to bypass to help ensure a better market down the track.

Oddly it seems while eastern States has/had trouble with Fuelwatch, in WA it seems to have been a good success.
If your that way inclined you can search after 4pm and see if it is going up or down tomorrow, then buy before or after midnite.

FollowupID: 754900

Reply By: garrycol - Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 15:01

Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 15:01
Fuel was actually between 79c and 85c in Sydney metro area when they came out - they should have been indiexed to either the CPI or fuel price increases
AnswerID: 479432

Reply By: Member - Royce- Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 17:31

Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 17:31
Wouldn't it be nice if an Exploroz membership entiteled us to a discount.... I guess we need to build a critical mass..
AnswerID: 479446

Follow Up By: Rockape - Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 18:48

Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 18:48
Royce,
the idea is solid but what you have to take into account is where the fuel is being used.

Take a large operator of trucks who can command a contract for fuel. This would be around 100 trucks pulling b doubles at an average of around 60l/100k. Times this by 1000k per day for 5 days if they are quick hitching and you get 3000 litres per truck x 100 and the amount of fuel contracted for is around 300,000 litres per week for the fleet.

Now a lot of their depots will have their own fuel pumps and most will be coastal or not to far off the beaten track which cuts down on delivery costs.

If you have members from all around the country buying fuel at a contract rate you may run into problems as the fuel is being purchased all over the place with different delivery costs.

The only way this could work is through a fuel card system where the local dealer still gets his mark up, but the fuel company cops the discount rate.

I believe you would need many more members than exploroz has. I would be happy to be proved wrong though.

Have a good one,
RA.

FollowupID: 754933

Follow Up By: Member - Royce- Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 19:40

Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 19:40
Might just have been a little flippant in my post.... but maybe piggyback onto another program ...
FollowupID: 754942

Follow Up By: Rockape - Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 20:11

Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 20:11
Nah! you wasn't,

I would loooovvvvve cheap fuel.

More members more bang for the buck.

I just love burning diesel at work cause it is free and Bob Brown eat your heart out.

Royce. Now that is being flippant.

May your tractor run on air and your cows produce the methane to cause the bang.

Have a good one,
RA.

FollowupID: 754946

Reply By: Rockape - Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 17:34

Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 17:34
Caltex must be overcharging because they have just made a 852 million dollar loss.

RA.
AnswerID: 479449

Sponsored Links