Some Advice needed...

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 19:40
ThreadID: 92297 Views:3084 Replies:4 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,
We are looking at a 6cyl Mitsubishi Pajero 1995 Petrol Manual.
The question is; Will we be able to pull a caravan comfortably around Aus?
We are a family of Four, 2 adults, 2 kids.
We dont have the Caravan yet, but would be needing a 4 berth... preferably 16-20ft?
I know there's the school of thought is, Caravan then Tow vehicle but the opportunity has presented itself and this is how it is currently proceeding.

We plan to be on the road with no time frame to return, would you think this vehicle could stand the test of time?
We will be going on roads such as the gibb, but wont be taking the Caravan with us for those rougher trips.

Any help appreciated!!
Cheers!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ken triton - Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 19:52

Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 19:52
Hi Angie,
Pajero's are great all round 4wd's they are generally pretty reliable, I had a Turbo Diesel 94 it was a great vehicle, sold it with close to 400,000 klms on the clock and still going well, did not spend a lot of money on it. My only concern with V6 is it will certainly like to have a drink when towing the 3L was pretty low on torque the 3.5L was better. The first thing I would do is determine your budget and look at all your options. If you could afford a turbo diesel Pajero 2.8L and it has a good service history I think it would be a good option, good torque and fuel efficient.
Good luck with your search
Ken
AnswerID: 479465

Follow Up By: Angie M - Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 20:01

Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 20:01
Thanks for the speedy reply.
I have to admit, I am not very good with my Car knowledge, something I will have improve on pretty quickly no doubt.
But I not long ago, posted a question regarding a 4runner 2.8l and everyone said that it would in no way have the guts to pull a van around Aus.... Now is that based on the Car or the fact it was only 2.8l?
I thought it was due to how many litres it had and as such have since been on the hunt for a much stronger beast, but now you say a 3 L was good, 3.5 better.

We were going to look at a 2.7 Petrol Pajero 1986, but decided against it because we thought it couldnt do the job. Right or Wrong??

It's a tough one trying to find the perfect vehicle!
FollowupID: 754944

Follow Up By: IronMan - Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 20:47

Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 20:47
The 4Runner 2.8 was a non-turbo. I'm told that bolting on a turbo from an import Surf absolutely transforms them.

For the Pajero's, best avoid the 3.5 DOHC engine in the NK's. It's basically a detuned sports engine when Mitsubishi needed a bigger engine, and is a bit peaky. Fair boogies when you give it some!

Later engines were 3.5 single cam, very similar to the 3.5's found in Australian Magna/Veradas. More usable grunt for towing.

However, any petrol Pajero will drink a lot when towing a van of the size you have quoted.
FollowupID: 754950

Reply By: howesy - Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 20:04

Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 20:04
1995 should be 3.5 engine and torque can be improved with extractors and exhaust but for the size engine they are pretty good. If you dont know when the timing belt was done or if its been a while in km or time then do it. Its insurance a snapped timing belt on a 3.5 = enginge rebuid + thousands of dollars.
On the 3.0 it just stops but the 3.5 starts smashing valves with pistons.
AnswerID: 479466

Follow Up By: howesy - Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 20:06

Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 20:06
This place will give you heaps of info

http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7
FollowupID: 754945

Follow Up By: Angie M - Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 20:32

Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 20:32
It's a 3L. looking at close to 300,000km.
So are you saying the 3l's better than the 3.5 in regard to timing belt?

I am having a good look around the site you suggested, cheers for that!
FollowupID: 754947

Follow Up By: Kimba10 - Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 23:15

Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 23:15
Angie, with 300 thou on it I would be really checking it out, they do start to get smokey, the 2nd gear syncro was bad in them with these sort of klms, also check for water/coolant leaks. If you dont mind me asking what sort of limit $$ wise are you looking at spending on a vehicle ?? I wouldnt even bother going down the path of a 2.8 diesel either in 4 runner or hilux dual cab they are gutless and pulling that sort of weight will drive you nuts and secondly I dont think you could tow it legally anyway. This is some thing else you really need to work out also, the weight of the van, people on board, etc as you dont want to be over loading. 20 foot is a fair size van to lug around and any 6 cylinder petrol 4wd is going to be thirsty, i would say probably in the vicinity of 18/20L per 100, then you would have some cases where you will face head winds, mountains etc you will probably see low to mid 20's. I know of a patrol here in Sydney, loaded and ready to go for an outback trip if that type of vehicle suits you. 4.2 non turbo, front locker, shower, duel batts, set up for towing, power outlets in the rear, heaps and heaps of gear, is owned by two older people (in there 60's) and they never bothered to use the patrol they used there prado instead. They fitted all the gear to the patrol it wasnt bought like that. It is 91 model but only done I think for memory 234k, there a great vehicle but maybe not what your after. Turbo diesel is the way to go if you can afford to get one. Even the non turbo patrols are a bit gutless BUT you can turbo them and it makes a huge difference. I wouldnt waste my time or money turboing a 2.8 4runner or hilux and dont even think about a V6 4 runner, the fuel bill will send you broke before you get out of your home town...............
FollowupID: 754968

Follow Up By: DaveO*ST-R - Monday, Mar 05, 2012 at 08:10

Monday, Mar 05, 2012 at 08:10
Angie, I had the earlier model NG Pajero 3.0L petrol and towed a pop top van 22,000 odd km around Oz some years ago. Van weight was about 1600kg loaded. The Pajero was OK on the flat but struggled on any sort of hill. Add a good head wind and it was a pain. (sometimes back to 3rd on the 5 spd manual) The clutch took a bit of a pounding as well with my vehicle. Fuel consumption on these vehicles is pretty ordinary at the best of times, but with a van on the back, your consumption would be very poor to say the least. Expect to spend a lot of time refuelling !!
FollowupID: 754977

Reply By: Member - Alastair D (NSW) - Monday, Mar 05, 2012 at 15:29

Monday, Mar 05, 2012 at 15:29
Angie,
We had a NJ 3L V6 petrol Pajero for a good few years. It never let us down though the valve stems seals did their thing (leak oil and the engine smokes) but easily fixed. For the early years we did little towing but eventually bought a camper trailer. The Pajero really felt it and the fuel consumption rose dramatically. On any decent hill I had the foot flat which is not good in the longer term.

With a typical load in the vehicle and trailer we tended to average 20L/100km which meant the range on the single tank was quite limited. We also found we were very often holding up traffic even though the old girl was flat strap.

We liked the Pajero and I did try out a newer 3.5L model but it still lacked the grunt to tow well. The latest model 3.2L diesel is great as I have a friend with one and they tow a small van with no problem.

Our 100 series turbo diesel LC is now our tow vehicle and it barely notices the trailer. We average 13 - 15 L/100km unless in adverse conditions and have abgs of power to spare. Keeping up with the traffic is no problem and it is excellent off road.

Long winded but my message is that to comfortably tow a van of any decent size needs grunt. My preference is the older style large capacity engine which is less stressed than the modern small capacity ones. They do the job but I doubt they will last as well.

cheers
AnswerID: 479538

Reply By: Madfisher - Tuesday, Mar 06, 2012 at 21:23

Tuesday, Mar 06, 2012 at 21:23
Angie unless its got a reconditioned motor and gearbox already this vehicle could need up to $8000 spent on it. The fella next door got a bargain , nice looking paj for $1500, $7000 dollars later its a ggod thing.
Cheers Pete
AnswerID: 479679

Sponsored Links