Access to Clem Walton Dam near Cloncurry.

Submitted: Monday, Mar 05, 2012 at 08:28
ThreadID: 92304 Views:1867 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Greetings.

I've been told that access to Clem Walton Dam, between Cloncurry and Mount Isa has ceased.

My source of information stated that the gates were locked when they passed through this area about two months ago.

As I stop there and recover when travelling to warmer climes, and have done so for several years, this information is somewhat perplexing as I cannot think of any reason why it would be locked.

The gates are always closed, and may appear locked from a distance but....

Anyway, as I intend to visit this place in June, any contemporary information would be appreciated.

Dick
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, Mar 05, 2012 at 10:35

Monday, Mar 05, 2012 at 10:35
Richard,

I go past the turnoff 4 times every week, and except for one occasion some weeks back, when gates were open, they are always closed. Whether they are locked is another matter.

Unfortunately I'm not in a vehicle that is easily parked, so can't check for you. However, will see if I can see a lock on the gates as I roar past. Sometimes go to the Isa in a sedan, so will check for you then......as long as it's before June!!!

Think it was closed at one stage, because of blue-green algae in the water, but feel that may have been a few years ago, before the current run of good seasons.

Only been in there once, but the view over the lake, as you drive in, was really magic.

Fountain Springs looks like a good spot to camp too, but during the season, often resembles surburbia, and the regular noise of road trains would annoy a light sleeper.

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 479512

Reply By: baz&pud (Tassie) - Monday, Mar 05, 2012 at 10:35

Monday, Mar 05, 2012 at 10:35
RH
According to the camps 6 its still open.
Cheers
Go caravaning, life is so much shorter than death.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 479513

Sponsored Links