Thetford w/- Climate Class "T"

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 06, 2012 at 15:57
ThreadID: 92342 Views:4455 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,
I have been doing some research comparing the Thetford 93 litre 3 way fridge w/- the 90 litre Dometic. I was advised that Jayco had done a comparison between the two and chose the Thetford, based on performance. I have actually seen one of the Thetford fridges in a new Jayco camper, and for the first time I was aware the fridge has a Climate Class "T". I contacted Thetford yesterday, and was advised that I can buy this fridge here in Adelaide from Dario. I am wondering if there are Jayco owners who have this fridge (model N301 I believe), and can confirm that it has a TRULY "T" class performance. I need to buy a new fridge, and am very reluctant to buy the Dometic, as everywhere I go I am told the latching is U/S, and the plastic top trim panels/door break. After looking at a few, I believe it. The Thetford by comparison is very sturdy. But what about the performance ??????
Can any members please provide some first hand experience. I am aware that Thetford has a lousy reputation, but is this based on the early, non-"T" rated models ???
Thank you, Barry
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: pmk03 - Tuesday, Mar 06, 2012 at 21:08

Tuesday, Mar 06, 2012 at 21:08
Hi Barry,

As far as I know Jayco use the Dometic Frigdes. We have a 2011 van with 150ltr Dometic in it. This is supposed to be "T" rated. Our previous van (also a 2007 Jayco had a 90ltr Dometic)
I can definitely say both fridges do stuggle a bit in the mid 30's days..... Maybe to about 6 - 8 Deg C. If you don't open them they are ok but where's the fun in that when the beers behind the door. !! Actually we keep our drinks in the Engel in the car.
The Dometics usually recover their temps overnight though......
Their also not verygood on 12 volt...... This is usually only while travelling & will only maintain the temp you leave camp with.

Cheers,

PMK
AnswerID: 479674

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 03:25

Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 03:25
Jayco have been known to change the way they do things.

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 755157

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 21:31

Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 21:31
Regarding Jayco fitting Thetford fridges to their vans - I put a request on another forum where I know some members would have been attending the Adelaide show. Here is one reply:

" we have recently visited the Adelaide Caravan and camping show , and we saw those particular Thetford fridges in a couple of different make vans , one of which was Jayco , couldn't tell you anything about them ,other than they looked good"

Regarding your question "Can any members please provide some first hand experience. I am aware that Thetford has a lousy reputation, but is this based on the early, non-"T" rated models ??" There were a few self opinionated members of forums, GD included, who bad mouthed these fridges. Basically they are the same models as the current ones. It's just the old problem that it's the bad news that is remembered. There was never anything basically wrong with them, just some loud mouths repeating GD's claim that they were not 'T' rated. Jayco's research seems to confirm this.

PeterD

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 479815

Follow Up By: barry22 - Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 21:31

Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 21:31
Hi PeterD,
Wonder if you have a comment on where you think I would stand if I were to buy a Thetford with a Climate Class "T", and found it did not perform as it should. For example I understand this rating should mean the fridge will provide 4 degrees in the cabinet at an ambient of 42 degrees.
I assume the "T" Dometic provides this ???
Thanks Barry
FollowupID: 755388

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 21:44

Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 21:44
You do exactly the same thing you do when your Dometic fridge does not perform. You check out the installation. There are also heaps of Dometic fridges out there not performing correctly. Both manufacturers claim they have tested their fridges to that European standard so both should meet it, but only if they are installed correctly.

PeterD

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 755389

Sponsored Links