If It's Flooded, Forget It

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 08:21
ThreadID: 92356 Views:3115 Replies:12 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
With all the floods around, a report of a man jailed for driving on a closed flooded road and causing the death of a passenger should be a wake up call.
Man Jailed for Flood Drive
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 08:57

Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 08:57
Hi Rod

It is about time people face the courts and be held responsible for their actions.

What they now need is greater prison terms, as regardless of how long they go to prison for, it will not bring back the life of that person that was with them.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 479723

Reply By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 09:08

Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 09:08
A MAN'S been rescued from floodwaters in Wagga Wagga.

A spokesman for the Westpac Lifesaver Rescue helicopter said the rescue took place this morning.

The man is understood to have been winched to safety after being swept from his car and found clinging to a tree west of the flooded Riverina town about 6am (AEDT).

The Murrumbidgee River peaked at 10.56 metres last night and the State Government has declared a state of emergency for the city, with 9000 of its almost 50,000 residents evacuated

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 479725

Reply By: Member - Old Girl - Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 10:38

Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 10:38
Wait for it. The hero's that have been on here saying " ive crossed many flooded creeks" like the last thread. Sure they do but not fast flowing water. Gets under my skin.
My rant for the day.
Cheers
AnswerID: 479735

Reply By: uncle - Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 11:15

Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 11:15
At last a wake up call for the foolhardy.!!!
AnswerID: 479737

Follow Up By: Wayne david - Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 12:12

Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 12:12
I recall trying to get home during heavy rain & pulled up short of our house by about 100 meters with the creek a raging brown torrent in front of us.

I sat there a while with the engine running & noticed the Missus taking off her seat belt and winding down the window. I asked what's that all about? And she told me it was in case the car got swept away & we needed to get out quickly.

What the???

I informed her I wasn't sitting here thinking of trying to cross. I was sitting here thinking which place we would be staying at tonight.

I still laugh when I think about it.

Cheers - Wayne
FollowupID: 755181

Follow Up By: uncle - Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 13:19

Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 13:19
Sounds like the Mrs is on the ball there mate. lol, just another reason I chose a poverty pack 4wd with manual windows and manual door locks. Not that I would even consider a crossing in a swollen ,fast flowing creek with my family in the car.

cheers Unc
FollowupID: 755183

Follow Up By: Member - Tony V (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 13:43

Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 13:43
Wayne

Good post,

Not singling you out as I often hear people say this, but taking a seat belt off just in case is not a good move.

Open window is a good idea.

But...

A seat belt should be seen as PPE (personal protection equipment), it should be on when the vehicle is moving, (as per road rules). If its gazetted, it is a road and seatbelts are a requirement.

A vehicle roll could place a body half inside and half outside as it rolls, or in the back seat or just jammed in somewhere.
Hitting something could bounce her out of her seat into the dash, windscreen or even you, a clash of heads will make escape less likely.

Trying to escape a moving vehicle fraught with danger, for many obvious reasons.

Stay in the vehicle with the seatbelt on until it stops then escape, even if upside down.

Best of all, like everyone has said, don't put yourself in the position.

rollover demo

FollowupID: 755185

Follow Up By: Member - Tony V (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 13:48

Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 13:48
Opps wrong link,

I know that this is not in water, but I believe that would be worse.

FollowupID: 755186

Reply By: Ray - Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 11:17

Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 11:17
Irispective if a person dies or not they should have their vehicle confiscated whether it be private, commercial or business.
AnswerID: 479738

Reply By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 13:02

Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 13:02
Hi Rod; Jail may be a deterrent, but i doubt it. There will always be someone who thinks they will be OK if they cross.

Some have paid the ultimate price, like the couple who lost their two children when swept off a crossing on the flooded and fast flowing Blackwood River a few years ago. Being a very minor road, it was probably not signed. They did have some local knowledge, but other locals had chosen not to cross.

It is up to us to make the decision; is there a risk? If there is any doubt, don't. If it is closed, the signs are there for a reason. Yet how often do we read about tragedies and near tragedies from people disregarding signage or using common sense?

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 479746

Reply By: vk1dx - Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 13:06

Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 13:06
Note also people that the article said "The road was closed at the time". I hope this also refers to all roads and tracks closed not just for floods. How many time have we seen evidence of clowns pulling gates apart and going through. And others for driving right past a closed road sign.

Pity it wasn't for longer.

Phil
AnswerID: 479747

Reply By: Crackles - Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 18:50

Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 18:50
Got to love the 'Do Gooders' getting on the band wagon. (Not!)
" If It's Flooded, Forget It." So Rod I suppose my friends with a farm that were inundated for 3 weeks during the last floods should have evacuated to the emergency centre leaving their animals to die because you believe no-one should be allowed to drive through flood water?
I wonder where this outcome leaves the emergency services, the utility workers & vollunteers that are out helping often driving around road closures. Will they too go to jail to the cheers of the crowds saying "I told you so" if they make an error in judgement?
No winners here.
Craig..........
AnswerID: 479781

Follow Up By: Tonyfish#58 - Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 19:03

Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 19:03
Craig - It irks me a bit - But it has become apparent a lot of people do not know how & when to cross flooded causeways/creeks. So those that have learned to do so no longer can make their own choice.

I used to have to put up the road closed signs. Most of the time they were up for work purpose when I could I would cross or drive on the closed road. Never unsafely.

I have been stuck at Iron range for a few days with the road was closed by National Parks, but we came in to Iron Range when it was a lot worse & could of got out safely.

When we went out finally after it was open it was a graded highway, they closed it for convenience. That irks me :-)

I have seen many a road closed for no real reason in the gulf and lately it seems they close the roads longer and longer so you can not get into Lakefield National Park, once again only for convenience.

Cheers Tony
FollowupID: 755209

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 20:29

Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 20:29
I agree with you guys
Its a case of "you will not make your own decisions anymore. We will make them for you and dont necessarily expect a reason"

A jail term (considering the lack of info on a reason for them wanting to cross) is stupid.
Was the deceased forced to cross in the vehicle against his will?
FollowupID: 755224

Follow Up By: eighty matey - Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 21:59

Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 21:59
I heard the bloke who owns the pub at Olary on the radio today. He was saying the road west of Broken Hill is still closed because the bridge at Cockburn is stuffed again from last weeks floods, but it's possible to push a bypass around the bridge and no one's doing anything to get the traffic moving.

Anyone driving from Sydney to Adelaide/Perth has to go down through Shepparton to get through.

They're all too busy putting up road closed signs everywhere to do any roadworks.

Steve
FollowupID: 755260

Reply By: equinox - Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 21:30

Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 21:30
I wonder if the other surviving passenger was charged with being in a vehicle driving on a closed road - to me him and the dead guy are just as guilty as the driver.

Surely this sentence is a reduced sentence, or perhaps the suspended sentence reflects this, as the dead guy was a willing passenger in the vehicle. The article says they all agreed to cross.

To me I think fair enough charge him for driving on a closed road but not for the causing of death as the other guys were just as guilty. It would be different if the dead guy was an unwilling passenger. I probably don't know all the facts as I have only read two articles about it, but that's the way I see it!!!

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 479814

Reply By: Nargun51 - Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 10:08

Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 10:08
The news article states that the guy was sentenced to 2 years imprisonment, but with 21 months suspended; i.e. 3 months to be served in prison.

Without seeing the transcript of the judges sentencing comments; I’d suggest that the judge took into account that the driver was responsible for the vehicle he was driving, (hence the sentence of 2 years imprisonment) but imposed a lesser custodial sentence after weighing the facts that all occupants agreed to drive across the river, the driver was 21 and the other two people in the car were older than him (the person who died was 3 times his age with more driving experience). I’m basing this purely on the article, where these facts are reported indicating that these were mentioned in Court by the Judge.

I’ll leave it up to others to determine whether justice was served by this sentence.
AnswerID: 479855

Reply By: Robin Miller - Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 11:37

Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 11:37
I wouldn't be so positive in calling it a wake call Rod.

I understand all parties took a calculated risk - wether or not that were qualified to do so is not explained.

The question I would ask in this general situation is how many lives have been saved by people driving a flooded road to rescue someone , I know of 1 who did that to get someone to hospital in time.

Did they do their best and just make a bad call ?
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 479872

Reply By: Member Boroma 604 - Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 12:02

Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 12:02
Gooday,
One just wonders why the Government, (here in Queensland anyway), have spent & wasted untold Dollars in huge roadside signs, Television Adverts, Radio Adverts, as well as other places, with this wonderful slogan "IF IT'S FLOODED FORGET IT".

It just proves what a waste of taxpayers money this is with the never ending reports of people driving through flooded roads and crossings.

Just goes to show, you cannot legislate against stupidity.

Just reinforces what an irresponsible and brain dead community, DEVOID of any COMMON SENSE, we now have.
Cheers,
Boroma604.
AnswerID: 479876

Sponsored Links