Waypoints move away from the position I plot them

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 13:10
ThreadID: 92359 Views:1428 Replies:8 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone
I'm having problems with my oziexplorer waypoints, I have been using a 10 year old Dell Laptop with oziexplorer with no problems what so ever, only it's very slow especially when loading Google earth map. I have recently purchased an XPS Dell Laptop running windows 7 64bit, and I have loaded and transferred all of my oziexplorer maps etc to the new laptop. When I create a waypoint all is great until I change to another map, and the waypoints have decided to go walkabouts to another position, I have checked datum's etc, and to the best of my knowledge I'm doing everything in the right way, I never had any problems with the old Dell, it worked really good, but just to slow. I have no idea as to why this is happening, has anyone else had this problem? Any help would be really appreciated
Thanks
Sanv
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Explorer - Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 16:03

Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 16:03
Hi

The waypoints won't move from the coordinates/datum used to create them....so the underlying map (either the one you originally plotted them on or the one you change to) is almost certainly the problem. Wrong datum is only one possible cause...it could also be wrong projection, wrong calibration points or just a totally dodgy map.

What map is causing the problem - a commercially available one, a net freeby or one you calibrated yourself? Are you sure the map in question is using the correct map calibration file.

Seen this before with people using Natmap 250K series map sheets. Make sure you are using the correct calibration files for the year of the map series - new editions have on some map sheets changed area of coverage and therefore calibration points are offset x metres..if you use calibration files from an older series.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 479758

Reply By: Member - Krakka - Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 16:28

Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 16:28
I'm not computer minded at all, but I'm sure I heard somewhere that Ozi is more compatable with 32bit and not 64bit. Could be wrong but someone else may know.
AnswerID: 479763

Reply By: bgreeni - Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 16:34

Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 16:34
Is your folder structure etc exactly the same on the new computer. If not then ozi may be using a different .MAP file to load the map than previously and this may be wrong. If they are maps that have the information built in it might be an idea to rerun the calibration to make sure that they are correct.
AnswerID: 479764

Reply By: Member - wicket - Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 17:03

Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 17:03
this may or may not work...........try using the win7 compatability setting......right click on th programme icon select properties and you will see a compatability tab which will be self explanatory
AnswerID: 479769

Reply By: SanV - Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 17:31

Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 17:31
Hi Everyone
Thanks for the help; the maps I'm using are 100k Geology Maps OZF from Gold & Ghost CD, I also use the Australia ecw all of which I have used for the last two years. I have checked and rechecked the calibration on all maps and they are all ok. I also still run Ozi on my old Dell laptop 32bit, and also my pc which is also 64bit, and I have no problems at all, I can jump from one map to another without any changes, My folder structure etc is exactly the same on all three computers. I have also tried using the win7 compatibility setting's windows xp sp2 and xp sp3, etc and still the same. Thanks to everyone for the info and the help.
Sanv
AnswerID: 479773

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 17:53

Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 17:53
Hi

...the Gold and Ghost maps should be perfect :)

Can you state specifically which two maps you used when you observed the initial phenomena?

I assume it was one of the Gold and Ghost maps and the “Australia ecw”. Can you name the Gold and Ghost map? Also by “Australia ecw” do you mean the 250K mosaic, if so what year?

Also - maybe try uninstalling OziExplorer and reinstalling it. Assume you are using the latest version.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 755199

Reply By: SanV - Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 18:15

Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 18:15
Hi Greg & everyone trying to help
I use the Australian Geocentric 1994(GDA94) and the Gold & Ghost Atley 2741.ozf & many more of the maps depending on the area we are going to prospect around WA. I'm using the same version on all 3 pc and I have uninstalled and reinstalled so many times and it still works out with the same problem, but only on the brand new Dell. (If I am replying the wrong way can someone please correct me as this is my first time on a forum). Thanks Sanv
AnswerID: 479779

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 20:41

Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 20:41
Hi

Well I just checked the Atley map and it appears to be OK...only 200+ maps to go:) Don think that is the problem anyway - as I suggested they should be all OK - I calibrated the lot and double checked (though I have been known to stuff up:)

Cant you plot a waypoint of the Astely map and then open the "Australia map" you reckon they "move" on and tell us - specific name of map and how far the waypoints "move" from the position you plotted them - pick a signifcant landmark such as a hill or bore. Is it metres out or kilometres?

The display datum (one at top of screen) you choose to use in OziExplorer doesnt really matter - it wont make waypoints move...it just changes the datum of the displayed coordinates.

I have ran out of ideas. Always hard to sort out computer issues from a distance.

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 755232

Reply By: SanV - Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 21:49

Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 21:49
Hi Greg

I have done it both ways from Atley to Australia map, and vice versa, and all the other’s I use, Montague, sandstone, etc etc, and it’s the same either way with all maps. The waypoints move in all directions, say for instance I plot the position from an abd mine and then open Atley map, it could be above the spot I set my waypoint, then if I go back to Australia map, it ends up below, and the more I move from map to map, the waypoint has just about moved in a full circle around where the waypoint should be, it moves roughly about 350 meters sometimes more sometimes less. I suppose I will just carry on using my old laptop until I can resolve this issue, and hopefully if I can manage to sort it, I will log back in to let you know. Thanks for all your help, Sanv
AnswerID: 479820

Reply By: glids - Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 08:46

Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 08:46
If you have a registered copy of OziExplorer, I suggest you send the guys at Ozi an email with a DETAILED explanation of your problem. I've found them very helpful in the past.

Good luck.

glids
AnswerID: 479843

Sponsored Links