Oricom UHF Radio UHF058 80 Channel, Review (Disappointed)

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 14:19
ThreadID: 92360 Views:18591 Replies:2 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Be careful, the manufacturer doesn’t tell you that this radio is not the same as the leading brands. It works OK as a radio and it’s quality looks good, but the scanning function is badly flawed. Firstly there is not 2 sets of memory for the Priority Scan and the Memory Scan, only 1 shared set. OK, can live with that for the price. Here’s the killer, it doesn’t matter how many channels you remove from the scan memory, it still scans all 80 channels, it just won’t stop on the ones that are removed from memory. It was already slower than I'm used to, but that makes it the slowest scanning UHF radio I have ever seen. I spoke to Keith at Oricom and he tells me there's nothing that can be done about it, I've done my money. I did suggest they need to be a bit more honest with the customers, we'll see. If you like to use the scan function, buy another radio, otherwise it looks OK. I haven't actually installed it yet.
Cheers
Tony (very disappointed)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Life Member - esarby (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 14:42

Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 14:42
bevoracing.

Sounds like you have been dudded.

Since 1 January 2011, you have the right to ask for a repair, replacement or refund if goods or services you buy have problems, find out when your rights apply.

Go to the ACCC site and check it out. You now have more rights. Push then all the way. Just Google ACCC. Good luck.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 479753

Follow Up By: garrycol - Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 15:53

Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 15:53
In NSW you have had the right of repair, replace or refund from the seller (buyers choice) for a very long time.

I used that back in the 80s with a dodgy drill - seller said it would have to go for repair - I said no I will have my money back - seller refused until I explained the law.
FollowupID: 755193

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 18:05

Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 18:05
From how I read Bevoracing's review he is not happy with how particular functions on the radio operate, are they faulty or just not as good a feature as other brands?

Please correct me if I am wrong but I don't think there is any thing wrong with the product, the consumer is just not happy with the features it offers so does the seller have any obligation to replace ( same product, same lame feature) or to refund money.

Or have I totally misunderstood his review???
FollowupID: 755201

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 15:00

Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 15:00
Consumer rights may have been tweaked in recent times, but comprehensive rights have been around for a long time as I know it. Anyway, that part aside, IF the goods don't match description (the key point), you are due a full refund.
AnswerID: 479756

Follow Up By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 15:08

Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 15:08
Just had a quick look at their site - the blurb for that product says it WILL do that which you say it won't (and apparently 'Keith" agrees it won't :-o). Agreed re priority / group scans - extremely useful, especially now that around 80 channels are involved.
FollowupID: 755191

Follow Up By: Life Member - esarby (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 16:09

Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 16:09
Darlan and Others.

As of January 1 2012 the ACCC has bought in much stiffer laws covering the sale of goods and services. The main point is that the seller can not argue the point if the buyer is not satisfied that the goods not up to what they are intended to do. It's Replace. Repair or Refund. More information on the ACCC web site.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 755194

Sponsored Links