Cooking in a Weber Q on the road

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 17:53
ThreadID: 92365 Views:11287 Replies:2 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Just wondering if anyone here has had experience at cooking bread and or cake, on the road in a Weber Q Hooded Gas BBQ. IF so do they have a recipe and or links to recipes for the same. Cake and Bread are only things we havent cooked in the Weber Q....They are brilliant for pizzas( if ya have the stone) and roasts !!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 18:17

Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 18:17
Hi Kevmac,

No recipe required for bread. You can buy breadmix in a 600g bag and everything you need to know is on the pack.

I use Lauke Crusty White for my camp oven but there is no reason whatsoever that you cannot use the Weber. The amount of water to add is listed on the pack, whether you are mixing the dough in a bread machine, or mixer, or mixing by hand.
One recomendation I will offer is to invest in a good quality bread pan.
Just mix the dough, kneed it for a few minutes, transfer the dough into the pan and leave in a warm place for a couple of hours or so until the dough has risen, then pop into the weber for about 1/2 hour. As you get near the time mentioned, tap the bread with your fingers, or knuckles. If you hear a "hollow" sound, the breasd is ready for eating.

Alternatively, you can use pre-prepared frozen dough. Allow the dough to reach ambient temperature, knead it a little, place into the bread pan and again leave in a warm place to prove.

Go for it!

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 479780

Follow Up By: kevmac....(WA) - Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 18:22

Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 18:22
Thx for that Sand Man
FollowupID: 755204

Follow Up By: skulldug - Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 20:05

Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 20:05
Sandman,

I have used a recipe for beer bread in the BabyQ.

2 and 3 quarter cups of self raising flour
1 tablespoon chopped chives
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
Half a teaspoon dried mixed herbs
1 cup grated chedder cheese
Six stubbys of Coopers Sparkling Ale (one for the recipe).

Use an oiled foil tray and bahe oh high til a bit over golden brown.

Cheers.

Skull

FollowupID: 755216

Follow Up By: kevmac....(WA) - Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 20:36

Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 20:36
we having weekend away this coming one (with Grandkids) so we gonna give it a try with a heavy duty cast dutch oven inside the weber.should make a good size round loaf with lots of crust hahaha
FollowupID: 755228

Follow Up By: landseka - Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 19:18

Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 19:18
Would you be cooking that bread on high Sandman?
FollowupID: 755359

Reply By: Member - John and Lynne - Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 13:13

Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 13:13
We have had no trouble cooking damper, bread and cakes in our Baby Q. Just check before you start that the tin you plan to use will fit in. We stand cake tins on the trivet. Use any recipe you like and make it the way you would in an oven. It is probably best with cakes to start with a simple recipe that is not terribly temperature sensitive or delicate until you have had a practice eg Date and walnut loaf worked a treat for our first (Margaret Fulton recipe but they are all much the same). With bread we usually just make a cobb shape and don't worry about a tin. Just give it a go! Lynne
AnswerID: 479881

Follow Up By: kevmac....(WA) - Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 13:50

Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 13:50
Thx Lynne........we'll give it all a go this weekend
FollowupID: 755331

Sponsored Links