Trucks

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 18:46
ThreadID: 92368 Views:2895 Replies:14 FollowUps:32
This Thread has been Archived
If you drive overseas in UK or Europe you quickly notice 2 things. The cars on the motorways drive faster than here and the trucks drive a lot slower than here. Not only do the trucks drive slower, but they sit in the slow lane rarely venturing out to overtake anything. Contrast that with the growing trend here of massive semis barrelling down behind you on a motorway completely filling your rear vision mirror almost barging you out of the way. The trucks are definately getting more aggressive. I have regularly thought to myself as I am driving along a motorway at 110kph in the slow lane, and a car overtakes me with a semi a few metres behind it, that I don't care how good a driver is in the truck, it's an accident waiting to happen.
Unfortunately, the rash of fatal car/truck accidents lately have brought my thoughts about this to the forefront. We travel the highways exploring probably more often than normal people. Has anyone else noticed this trend? Cheers.
PS I'm not trying to tar and feather all truckies, there just seems to be more cowboys these days.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Old Girl - Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 19:31

Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 19:31
My father a truck driver for over 46 years was only this morning after his usual Perth-Bris run saying some are bloody mad. He cant wait to retire.
AnswerID: 479786

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 19:38

Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 19:38
Two women were killed in a car/ truck accident today on the M5, south west Sydney.. I agree, on the German Autobahn, the trucks have to stay in the slow lane, speed is very slow.. 100 i think.. Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 479790

Follow Up By: Member - Mark G Gulmarrad - Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 20:10

Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 20:10
Gday Micheal.

the news reports failed to acknowledge that because of the skill of that Semi Driver that there weren't any more deceased. with his quick thinking and reflexes he didn't cross to the other side of the road and collide with more vehicles.

thoughts are with the families involved.
FollowupID: 755217

Follow Up By: mikehzz - Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 20:22

Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 20:22
The speed for trucks in Europe is 90kph I think, and they stick to it. There is no doubt that the vast majority of truckies are good drivers but the aggressive stance by some may scare normal drivers into doing things that seem stupid.
FollowupID: 755220

Follow Up By: SteveL - Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 20:50

Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 20:50
I spent some time working for a German trucking company in the nineties.
The speed limit for trucks then was 80 km/h in Holland,Belgium and Germany while
France was 90.I only drove in those 4 countries so I'm not sure about others.
Trucks in the fleet were speed limited to 90 as we spent a lot of time in France.
Driving hours were strictly enforced and we usually ran out of hrs by 8pm and had to spend the night at a truck stop.Also strict regulations on weekend and public holiday driving with only Express freight and some others allowed on the roads.
FollowupID: 755239

Follow Up By: garrycol - Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 21:36

Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 21:36
Supposedly 100kph speed limited here but most are clearly not (I do not know why the authorities do not act on this). However most truckies drive well it is just the few that cause issues - same applies with car drivers.
FollowupID: 755252

Follow Up By: Fab72 - Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 20:30

Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 20:30
As a part time weekend truck driver, and also having travelled through Europe I'll point out two things which are pretty obvious.

Firstly the distances here in Australia are massive compared to Europe so driving at 80 or 90 compared to 100 will add hours to a long distance haul.

Secondly, John Citizen is hell bent on having those goods that her ordered delivered overnight....not in 2 or 3 days.

Yes it's unfortunate that there are some cowboys out there...not going to dispute that fact, and recently even, a trucking company got caught out with tampering with their speed limiters etc.

Most trucks these days (the newer ones anyway) have sophisticated tracking systems fitted that monitor travel speed, time, dirrection, distance, fuel burn, idle time etc etc etc. I know for a fact that if I was to speed (even though our trucks are limited at 98) my boss would soon show me the door. His reasoning is that it's his family name painted on the side of the truck and he didn't bust his ballz only to have his reputation destroyed.

It does seem however that people are a bit quick to tar all truck drivers with the same brush. If I was to count how many idiot car drivers I see on any given day, I'd lose count very quickly. On the other hand, just one bad truck driver and whamo.... everyone is up in arms.

My suggestion...stop promoting a culture that needs everything right here and right now, AND if ever you have an opportunity to spend a few hours riding shotgun in a truck...DO IT! It's a real eye opener what you see.

Enjoy! Fab.
FollowupID: 755379

Follow Up By: Off-track - Friday, Mar 09, 2012 at 00:02

Friday, Mar 09, 2012 at 00:02
Very well said.

The world looks very different from the cab of a truck.
FollowupID: 755401

Follow Up By: GREENDOG ! - Friday, Mar 09, 2012 at 22:20

Friday, Mar 09, 2012 at 22:20
I'll 2ND that WELL SAID mate,as a full time interstate truck driver,to all you TRUCK Knockers out there as said above ride shut gun for a day and see what we have to put up with BLOODY INPAITENT CAR DRIVERS.cheer's GD
FollowupID: 755493

Follow Up By: woodie3 - Saturday, Mar 10, 2012 at 21:12

Saturday, Mar 10, 2012 at 21:12
Hello, don't want to upset the applecart and disagree but there are many truckies in Europe who do travel the distances and more experienced in Australia, for instance from many countries in Europe and travelling to the middle east is not unknown, cheers Bill
FollowupID: 755565

Follow Up By: mikehzz - Monday, Mar 12, 2012 at 09:18

Monday, Mar 12, 2012 at 09:18
I didn't want to point that out since it seems that the truckies seem to think I was knocking them. Not the case at all. Most truckies are excellent drivers but I do take exception to what I see as the increasing amount who live in the fast lane and tail gate anyone out there. That's stupid driving full stop.
FollowupID: 755652

Reply By: skulldug - Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 19:42

Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 19:42
Mikehzz,

I don't think there are more cowboys these days but it only takes one to end and wreck lives.

While towing, I drive at 95 km unless there are trucks on the road, then I up it to 100 kph to avoid getting hassled, conditions permitted. It works most of the time but not always. Some times it's by trucks. Sometimes it's by commodores with multi coloured panels.

Happy fishing.

Skull
AnswerID: 479792

Reply By: rocco2010 - Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 19:56

Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 19:56
Giday

Maybe they don't know how to fiddle speed limiters in UK News reports today say the inquiry sparked by the recent fatal in NSW has spread to SA after a B-double from a company there was clocked at 142km/h.

Cheers
AnswerID: 479794

Follow Up By: Nickywoop - Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 21:20

Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 21:20
Rocco,

Sorry about the incident concerning a big SA trucking Co.

Before we all jump to conclusions as judge and jury, take into account that the same company has many contract owner drivers dragging their "B" Double trailers under contract. When an incident happens, the trailers the contracted owner driver is towing advertises a Company.

Do not jump to conclusions.

Not affiliated with S***** Transport, just trying to keep our thoughts clear.

Nick
FollowupID: 755245

Follow Up By: Member - Mark G Gulmarrad - Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 21:28

Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 21:28
Nick

thats right mate..........just like the signs that are on the rear of some trailers- 100klm/h speed limited- more than likely NOT the prime mover that was originally on the trailer.
FollowupID: 755247

Follow Up By: rocco2010 - Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 21:29

Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 21:29
Gidday

I don't think I was jumping to conclusions, just passing on information that seemed to be relevant to the original post about speeding trucks.

I know know how the trucking business works with sub contractors etc ... that's why I didn't name the company (not that it has stopped the police, the ABC or newspaper web sites naming them). I was merely indicating that the problem of trucks being tampered with to allow them to go faster might not be confined to one outfit in NSW.

Cheers
FollowupID: 755249

Follow Up By: Nickywoop - Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 22:09

Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 22:09
Rocco,

Thanks, also I was not sticking up for the SA Company being looked at.

As an extrucky, and we all have been guilty of this (having a verdict) when we get "news", REMEMBER never jump to conclusions. As far as I know the Co. mentioned would be as reputable as any. (Never driven their trucks or towed their trailers)

What the contractors do dragging their (the Companies) trailers and advertising over Australia is a seperate issue,.

Nick
FollowupID: 755266

Follow Up By: SDG - Saturday, Mar 10, 2012 at 19:39

Saturday, Mar 10, 2012 at 19:39
Was talking to my old man today who knows the guy that was travelling at 140 odd that sparked all this.
The truck is speed limited.
The truck was travelling downhill in angel gear when clocked.

The company in question is also well known to be one of the slowest lot around. The sub contrators on the other hand are a different matter.

FollowupID: 755559

Reply By: Kris and Kev - Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 20:01

Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 20:01
Have to agree. We drove a motor home for 28 days around the UK, Ireland, Scotland etc in 2009. The drivers over there are some of the best and patient we have seen. And they all know how to drive on multi lane motor ways! Yep, the trucks always kept to the left lane, unless passing and then they would quickly get back into lane. Kevin
AnswerID: 479795

Follow Up By: mikehzz - Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 20:39

Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 20:39
It's the same all over Europe from Sweden to Greece, although in Greece the concept of "lanes" hasn't really taken on :-)
FollowupID: 755229

Reply By: Madfisher - Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 20:05

Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 20:05
I have always found they are far more idiots behind the wheel of sedans and 4wds then trucks. If towing I will speed up to 100 so not to hold up trucks, but then when I get to an overtaking lane I will slow down so they can gather speed and get arround me. BUT for some reason a high percentage of drivers do the opposite when they spot a bus or truck behind them. Its like its and insult to their manhood to let a large vehicle pass.
I am not a truck driver but do hold a MC licence and in my job get asked to move our heavy vehicles from one location to another.
The amount of people who do 80 in single lanes, then speed up to 100 or even 110 the moment they see and overtaking lane coming up is crazy and should be a bookable offence. This same driver will be the one complaining about be tail gated.
Cheers Pete
AnswerID: 479796

Follow Up By: mikehzz - Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 20:35

Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 20:35
I drove for a living for many years and still do around 80K a year. I have seen the same things as you re some car drivers too. The ego associated with driving, plus your choice of car or truck is more pronounced here. It is missing elsewhere in the world. You can tell by the models of car or bike that they drive... lots of guys here wouldn't be seen dead in them. The lack of ego over there makes for a better drive and that attitude would really benefit us here.
FollowupID: 755227

Follow Up By: Member - OnYaBike - Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 21:08

Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 21:08
The British racing driver Stirling Moss (I know, showing my age) said there were two things men would not admit to not doing well: making love and driving.
He also used to plan his personal trips if possible so as not to be driving into the morning or afternoon sun.
FollowupID: 755243

Reply By: Dave(NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 20:35

Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 20:35
Isn't this thread off topic?
GU RULES!!

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 479805

Follow Up By: mikehzz - Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 20:40

Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 20:40
I wondered that when I posted but it is about travelling on the highway and the culture associated with it so I leave it to the mods
FollowupID: 755231

Follow Up By: mikehzz - Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 20:48

Wednesday, Mar 07, 2012 at 20:48
Also beneficial if it helps any driver question there actions while they are out there due to reading some of the responses. A long shot I know :-)
FollowupID: 755237

Reply By: Member - Corrugate75 - Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 06:58

Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 06:58
G'day,
Interesting thread topic.
As someone with a road train licence, and knowing all the assessment required to get this and what it takes to move 90Tonne and two trailers - what amazes me are many caravan drivers.
Please explain to me why you can legally drive a little buzz box to and from work in a city for 40 years, and on the eve of your retirement you can buy a massive great LandCruiser and 24foot caravan and without any further assessment or testing you can burn off around Australia at 100Km/Hr!
Further observation - distances in Europe are less so trucks can get from loading point to delivery point at slower speeds?
I feel truck drivers often get blamed too easily, but we all forget that we want our choc chip biscuits in Woolworths and garden fittings in Bunnings every time we go there, so who do we expect to keep these stores stocked?
Just my two cents worth...
Cheers
Corrugate
AnswerID: 479837

Follow Up By: gbc - Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 08:41

Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 08:41
If they did 100 kph the world would be a better place.....
FollowupID: 755289

Follow Up By: Steve D1 - Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 15:55

Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 15:55
g'day there

I agree 100% with comments on van owners being able to wake up 1 day and just decide that they can safely move 40Ft of car and trailer, weighing up to and over 5t, with no training or previous experience. Crazy stuff.
if you want to tow a box trailer to the tip once a year, thats alright I suppose, but anything bigger, boats included, need to be separately tested. You need a separate licence to drive a boat. Once its in the water, there is no difference to a car. So why not a separate licence class for trailers / vans / boats.

Steve
FollowupID: 755344

Follow Up By: Madfisher - Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 19:58

Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 19:58
Actually most boats if well set up tow a lot better then vans, I use to prefer to tow my old boat then my hd box trailer.
Cheers Pete
FollowupID: 755364

Follow Up By: Steve D1 - Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 20:12

Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 20:12
hi there Fisher

i understand that the right set-up will tow well, but it's still an issue of weight, braking, wind and swing. Something that as Corrugate75 pointed out, there are many people out there who have never towed anything, ever, and go and buy these rigs. Personally, whenn i buy my new rig, ( hopefully later this year ), i'll be at least doing some further driving/towing courses before I hit the open road, for my safety aswell as others, and I think that needs to be manditory.
I've recently got my bike licence. After riding trail bikes since I could walk, still have to do a full course and restricted riding for 15 months, and I have no issue with that, as its a different type of riding. Dragging a van around the country is no different....

Steve
FollowupID: 755373

Follow Up By: Madfisher - Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 21:03

Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 21:03
You are right Steve, but after towing for 35 years I have got use to it, mind you my new boat does not let you forget its their.
Actually my old boat and trailer was so well set up, I have touched the brakes of a night so I could see itto make sure it was still their and it was only about 500kg anyhow.
Cheers Pete
FollowupID: 755384

Reply By: Kris and Kev - Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 07:54

Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 07:54
I have always argued that a defensive driving course should be mandatory for all drivers. If you have ever completed one, they are worth it. Part of this course could include towing issues. I know some will argue that it is not a viable option to make a defensive course a 'must have' to obtain a driver’s license, due to the extra cost and limited courses being available, but what is the cost of a life! Obtaining a driver’s license is a license to legally participate in one of the most dangerous activities most of us will do. Dangerous to ourselves and others.
Also about towing, I know most caravaners drive around the 95 or 90 k’s per hour, but when on a highway, please think about other drivers. There are quite a few that will not allow traffic to pass. It does not take much, for example, slow down on overtaking lanes and let everyone get past you.
Having only towed a caravan a short distance, and currently just towing a camper trailer, why do caravaners travel so slow on highways? I know the fuel economy issue, but is that the only reason? Kevin
AnswerID: 479838

Reply By: Ray - Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 08:43

Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 08:43
Speed limit? Is that the upper limit or the lower limit? I suspect that a lot of drivers consider a speed limit to be a lower limit.
AS for caravans driving slow. Perhaps these people are on holiday and not in a rush. I gave up rushing 15 years ago.
AnswerID: 479842

Reply By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 09:04

Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 09:04
I see some are talking about the speed limits in Europe, how many Europe's fit in Australia. In many US States the speed limit is 70mph (112.6kph) , that's everything, Calif' is lower.
My opinion about the Lennons accident on the Hume would have nothing to with speed, being close to Sydney my guess would be drugs involved or inexperience.
The Hume Hwy is as good as any 4 lanes in USA and therefore a higher speed for all vehicles should apply. Most of us truckies did 120/130 on the old Hume back in the 70's .
In such a large country as ours the longer it takes to get from A to B the more fatigued a driver will get, if you can knock 2 hours of a 1000 klm trip that would have to be an advantage but we have to many Ning Nong politicians in State Govt's that know stuff all about truck's, Caravans, traffic etc because they fly everywhere.
Now ...Dave says is this subject off topic, Dave, come out of your little shell and look around when the Sun's up mate, every EO member that travels our great country has to experience city traffic, trucks, roadtrains, mix in with it and try and use some common sense out on the roads and highways. You know sometimes it helps to try and imagine your self in the other vehicle , put yourself in his/her seat and try and get a perspective and work out what that driver is doing/thinking about your silly driving habits.
Now I'm going to have brekky...see ya'll .....bite, snap,

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 479846

Follow Up By: Member - allan t (NT) - Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 09:52

Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 09:52
HiDoug well put Iwas thinking the same thing, I did a lot of travelling in the seventies and the Irecently did atrip over to W.A. then across the east and back home and the driving from car drivers is appauling they have no consideration frr their own safety or anyone elses in S.A. 3caravans travelling close together holding trucks up. We should think of other road users then there would be a lot less accidents .Ifound the truckies good
Allan
FollowupID: 755294

Follow Up By: Dave(NSW) - Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 11:31

Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 11:31
Doug,
I've been off the Highway for 4 years now after 35 years of doing interstate mostly tanker work so have been there dune that. My comment about off topic is because I get sick of all garbage that gets said about trucks by people who would be lucky if they drove more than an hour a day unless going on holidays. I to drove trucks capable of 160/170 kph Syd / Melb in 8 hrs on the old highway. I don't think a thread about truck driver bashing is relevant to this forum.
Cheers Dave.
GU RULES!!

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 755314

Follow Up By: Member - Mark G Gulmarrad - Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 12:08

Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 12:08
Here Here Dave.......exactly.
FollowupID: 755320

Follow Up By: Charlie B2 - Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 13:52

Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 13:52
Hi all,

Not going to enter into debate too much, but one factor you can't overcome by legislation or anything else is the intimidation impact that huge vehicles can have on some drivers of far smaller vehicles. Surprise, surprise, some people don't even like driving behind 4WD's!

On a multi-lane road, my wife simply won't drive in a lane alongside a semi, B-Double or the like, primarily because she's far from confident that the large vehicle will stay within its lane.

Unfortunately, my own relatively recent experience with the driver of one such vehicle on a particular road in metropolitan Adelaide has eroded my former confidence in that regard, too, although I'm still not quite as paranoid as my wife.

Yes, I know that was only one driver and one vehicle and sure, there are a heap of drivers of all kinds of vehicles who are very, very good at what they do, and more power to them all.

However, when you're jammed in traffic in the left-hand lane and can't get away from a juggernaut that's moving across its entire lane (and some of those lanes don't have a significant margin for error built-in) AND over the lines on both sides of its lane, that can't help but have an adverse effect on your mind-set!

Re - drivers buying LandCruiser (why did the writer pick on them, I wonder?) and caravan combinations for their retirement, sure, some do, but others have owned that kind of combination for years, some without incident, others you'd go halfway across the country to avoid. I'd argue it should be horses for courses but, certainly, the better skills you have in any situation the better you'll perform when things don't quite go the way you wanted them to. Nevertheless, it's not that often a car and caravan driver will need to reverse his rig several hundred metres around a winding road or driveway, unlike a heavy vehicle driver who might be called on to do that day after day.

Regards,

Charlie
FollowupID: 755332

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 14:43

Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 14:43
Charlie.
I'll add a little bit of info that may be of aid to small vehicle drivers, Not a good idea to run along the left side of a Truck at same speed , if you put yourself into that area probably 5 seconds after the truckie had checked the left mirror (of course the car driver don't that) then get yourself out of that area ASAP , and the worst a car driver can do is sit just alongside the rear of the trailer in wet weather, the truck mirrors will have spray and road grime on them and if you don't have the headlights on your impossible to be seen, and I might add those silver / grey cars are worse and the color should be banned in the interest of road safety.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 755334

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 23:47

Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 23:47
Good point Doug. It never ceases to amaze me how some people will try to overtake a truck on a dual lane road, get alongside, crap their pants and brake. Now they are sitting beside the big scary truck in a position where the driver has little chance of seeing them. I'm sitting behind them thinking 'if trucks scare you that much why not get passed or pull in behind"

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 755400

Follow Up By: Charlie B2 - Friday, Mar 09, 2012 at 07:44

Friday, Mar 09, 2012 at 07:44
Hi Doug & others,

Don't have an issue with your last comment and couldn't agree more, but in the specific circumstance I was relating, we were in the left lane, with nowhere to go and with the heavy vehicle bearing down on the traffic like there was no tomorrow. Now I know this is one driver, in one rig, and in one place in this great country of ours, but that doesn't mean it was fun for us.

No matter what you might wish you could do to avoid a situation like that, at some particular point in time, it's too late; you're a passenger, even if you're behind the wheel. On this occasion, I'm sure our great Lord and Saviour was looking after us, because we didn't get collected.

You can re-hash the experience in your mind for a long time afterwards to try to work out what you were doing wrong, to be in such a situation, but sometimes it just isn't your fault. But also, it's important for all of us to realise that experiences like this, and another some years ago when we were run off the road by an oncoming semi coming around what was, to him, a right-hand bend on wrong side of the Pinnaroo Road (and I mean with his right-hand wheels right on MY left hand edge-line), can affect other drivers for years after the event occurs.

Guys, I'm NOT on any truckie-bash trip; they, and you, do a great job to keep this country supplied with everything it needs to function effectively. I'm sure that any number of you, if not every single one of you, can relate similar incidents where drivers of smaller vehicles have been at fault.

It's just that we ALL need to be more aware and respectful of, and responsive to, other road users.

Regards,

Charlie
FollowupID: 755406

Reply By: Nomad Navara - Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 09:19

Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 09:19
Should we start commenting on all catogorys of road users out there ( car,caravan,motor home,motorcycle,bikes,even motorized scooters,)because there ar hoons in each segment, or should we adjust our driving expertise to accommode to their failings.
AnswerID: 479848

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 22:12

Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 22:12
Caravans in many parts of Europe are also limited to 80kph. Makes towing caravans a lot safer!
May not suit Australia with our vast network of single lane (each way) highways where the risks of overtaking are considerable compared with freeways.
AnswerID: 479926

Reply By: The Bantam - Sunday, Mar 11, 2012 at 15:26

Sunday, Mar 11, 2012 at 15:26
Being almost 50 and recently having taken up driving heavy vehices for a living, I can definitely see both sides of the picture.

Firstly I think it is plainly rediculous that it is legal in all states of Australia to drive a 9 tonne combination on a pasenger car licence, with no fruther endorsements or training.

Secondly, passenger car drivers need to understand it is necessary to be selfish to a certain extent when you are driving a heavy vehicle.

A heavy vehicle drivers primary responsibility its to keep the vehicle traveling on the road and under controll.....if a heavy vehicle gets out of controll the consequences are always dire......simply putting one wheel off the butumen can put you in a world of trouble...a sudden swerve that a pasenger car could easily recover, will almost certainly find a heavy vehicle hurtling out of controll.

Heavy vehicles do not accelerate, brake or turn anywhere near as well as a lighter vehicle.....I know this is said often but untill you have 20 pluss tonnes of heavy vehicle strapped to your arse ( and that is what it feels like) you realy wont get it.

To maintain controll it is often necessary to take more road and place your vehicle differently than others may like.

It is also necessary to maintan a certain amount of agression, to make your intent well and truly clear, particularly when there are plenty arround that are prepared to push their luck.

Yeh yeh we hear about europe......generally there are very much shorter distances between towns, the roads are generally better and mostly it is a denser and higher priced economy.

In Australia...lots of times truckies would travel in the left hand lane IF there was one and IF it was not busted up and poorly maintained.
I will travel in the left hand lane when I can, but it it means having to fight to keep the truck straight and being belted arround on every bump......I'll take the right hand lane thankyou very much.

In Australia in all states ( to my knoweledge) all heavy vehicles must be speed limited at 100Kph, In QLD if you are booked for speeding at 110Kph or over, you WILL recieve a notice to present the vehicle for inspection.

Until recently, there was an 80Kph speed restriction on passenger car hauled trailers....untill it was ruled as unworkable.

Caravan and boat haulers, need to understand that ( at least in QLD) the same restrictions on following distances apply to you as do to heavy vehicles.
The avearge family car towing a box trailer is long enough to be clasified as a "long vehicle" and required to keep 60 meters clear of any " long vehicle" ahead on open roads....in declared road train areas 120m.

Yes there are some cowboys out there, and it is not just passenger car drivers that get pushed arround.

Last Monday I watched as my convoy partner was run into road side signage by a 'B" double.....fortunately the only casualty was some temporay barriers.........Actually I can see that the "B" double driver may have been caught by the curcumstances.

Sorry but ya realy don't know how the other half lives till ya walk in their shoes.

With heavy vehicles....give em plenty of room and don't push ya luck.

cheers

AnswerID: 480088

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Sunday, Mar 11, 2012 at 15:31

Sunday, Mar 11, 2012 at 15:31
The 80Kmh restriction was in NSW
FollowupID: 755601

Sponsored Links