Places

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 00:08
ThreadID: 92375 Views:1147 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I'm having no luck downloading "places" from the Places page. I select and the zipfile that comes in says I have no program with which to open it.

Is there a trick to it that I'm missing? Am I supposed to have something open in OE?

As you can imagine a search for 'places' in the forum threads turned up countless hits.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - SK - Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 00:11

Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 00:11
Damn thing removed OziExplorer from after "I select....."

Is there a modify post button?
AnswerID: 479829

Reply By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 09:50

Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 09:50
Try adding the name , not a Zipcode, I just tried HAY, got results for all things with Hay in it including the one I wanted Hay NSW.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 479851

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 09:51

Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 09:51
I forgot, after you type in a name just try hitting the space Bar 1 move and tap ENTER.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 755293

Reply By: ExplorOz - Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 10:34

Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 10:34
I'm a bit confused by your question. What format did you select for the download. Did you save a whole batch to My Plans first and download from there, or did you select just one Place for download? If you have the OziExplorer software on your computer, you would download the OziExplorer file formats, but if not, you can use the GPX format which is more versatile or even CSV which you can then associated with Excel and create your own spreadsheet. What are you wanting to do with the GPS points you have downloaded? We just supply the data - its really up to you how you wish to use it. In Places, you use our mapping to view the data, but when you download, you get the coordinate data for the positions (etc) so you can use it in any way that best serves your interests.

Perhaps someone else can offer further assistance/coaching for you?

Michelle

ExplorOz

Business Member
My Profile  My Blog

AnswerID: 479863

Follow Up By: Member - SK - Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 21:50

Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 21:50
Hi Michelle

I have OE so thats what I select when the download prompt pops up. I'm then presented with a zipfile (EO_P76401.zip) but when I try to open (EO_P76401.wpt) I get the ..." Windows cannot open this file: ....to open this file, Windows needs to know what program created it....." and so forth.

I've been trying to download the Karralee Rock co-ordinates just as an experiment with the system, even though I have it marked on my OziE.

Or am I supposed to use OziE to search for this or any files/waypoints on my system?

Your other suggestions I've noted and I will probably pursue these if I can't use OziE.
FollowupID: 755391

Reply By: ExplorOz - Friday, Mar 09, 2012 at 00:19

Friday, Mar 09, 2012 at 00:19
sorry for my late reply - I didn't see yours till now. Firstly, have OziExplorer open and load up a map for the area where the wpt you have open is located. In the Ozi menu select Load and pick wpt then you'll get to browse for you your wpt file that you downloaded. Be sure to have show wpt activated. YOu should then have it in view. Hope I've explained this properly, just off the top of my head as I'm shutting down for bed. I'll check back in the morning if you've not got this sorted by then I'll try to explain again.
cheers, michelle
ExplorOz

Business Member
My Profile  My Blog

AnswerID: 479933

Follow Up By: Member - SK - Thursday, Mar 22, 2012 at 00:42

Thursday, Mar 22, 2012 at 00:42
Eureka!! Well, after much head scratching and loading, downloading, extracting, etc, I finally worked it out.

Thank you Michelle.
FollowupID: 756446

Sponsored Links