What is the Shay Gap road like

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 20:28
ThreadID: 92392 Views:3238 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hello again everyone,
I am still finalising plans for our WA trip this year. Can someone tell me if the Shay Gap road is suitable to tow a true off road caravan along? This is the turnoff inland towards Marble Bar approximately 96klm south of the Sandfire Roadhouse. A neighbour tells me he thought it was a common way the Marble Bar locals use on their way to Broome. He said it was a bit sandy but that I should have no trouble. He also said it was the more interesting drive to Marble Bar. I would be grateful for a bit of recent knowledge.
Regards,
Al-one
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: equinox - Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 20:40

Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 20:40
Hi Al-one,

I traveled that way up and back last year. Good shortcut. It's a good gravel road all the way, there is a river crossing there too; the De Grey, it will pay to see how much rain there has been.

If it's not too wet you will have no dramas.

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 479919

Reply By: Motherhen - Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 21:42

Thursday, Mar 08, 2012 at 21:42
Hi Al-one

Although some years since we went on the Boreline Road, it is a beautiful drive. It was well maintained dirt and we found no corrugations or sandy patches. It had been a hot day at Marble Bar, and i wanted to cool of in the water there, but it didn't look that clean and inviting. Then we found water running across the the De Grey causeway, so i jumped right in and cool off - lovely. If in the condition we found the road, it would be no problem for any rig.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 479924

Reply By: kwk56pt - Friday, Mar 09, 2012 at 12:12

Friday, Mar 09, 2012 at 12:12
Definetly enquire about the water level although you will not have too far to go back to the shay gap rd to reach the bitumen. It was July one year when I was there and it was deep and fast flowing. Yep I didnt expect it in July and I was on the Marble bar side and had a long way to go back. It was a long time ago so I cant offer any meaningful comment on the condition of the road
AnswerID: 479958

Follow Up By: Member - Joe F (WA) - Friday, Mar 09, 2012 at 12:42

Friday, Mar 09, 2012 at 12:42
G'day Folks

The Boreline road is quite good, considering all the adverse weather, the DeGrey River catchment and the river itself are still experiencing these flood effects.

Please note there are active Monsoonal Lows that may well affect the northern Pilbara region.

Safe Travels:
FollowupID: 755436

Sponsored Links