Can you use silicon baking trays in a Cobb cooker

Submitted: Friday, Mar 09, 2012 at 00:20
ThreadID: 92398 Views:3413 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Recently bought a cobb cooker and so far have just tested it by cooking a roast. Was just wondering whether you can use those flexible silicon cake trays in the cobb or not? Unfortunately on this occasion google was not my friend. I have the roasting rack to use a a spacer between the tray and the grill top. I could get traditional tins but figured the flexible ones would be easier to squeeze into the car.
Graham Watson

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Friday, Mar 09, 2012 at 07:21

Friday, Mar 09, 2012 at 07:21
I have used silicon trays in the Cobb with mixed success.
Providing the fuel you use is not too hot the silicon works well but the loaves are a bit on the small size. (try about 5 heatbeads)

The last time, I was using the Cobb Greenfire disk (compressed coconut fibre) and it was just too hot.
I burnt the bottom of the silicon baking tray and the bread.
Chucked the tray, cut off the burnt base of the loaf and we salvaged the rest.

I now use a full sized metal non-stick bread tin I purchased from a bread making supply store and bake some magnificent loaves in the camp oven.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 479934

Reply By: George_M - Friday, Mar 09, 2012 at 13:52

Friday, Mar 09, 2012 at 13:52
Graham

I occasionally use a silicon cake tray with BBQ briquettes, but always with a wire cake stand. You can buy these cake stands from Coles for about $3.50, and use pliers to bend the legs so they fit in the holes on top of the Cobb.

The green fuel doesn't seem to be hot enough to cook things while the tray is on the cake stand; but as Bill says, if you put the silicon tray directly on the Cobb hotplate you may burn the bum out of it.

These days I tend to use cheap 28cm aluminium baking trays, and toss them out once the cooking is done.

George_M
Come any closer and I'll rip your throat out!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 479963

Sponsored Links