Buying a vehicle in the US for a holiday

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 10, 2012 at 11:04
ThreadID: 92419 Views:1756 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Can anyone tell me if it is possible to buy a 4WD in the US for a holiday and sell it again after my holiday is over.

If so which state is this possible?

I want to stay for just 2 months and travel on the visa exemption program. That is the electronic visa that one get over the interent. I have been told that under this program it is not possible to buy a vehicle.

Interested in hearing from anyone that has done this.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bush Wanderer - Saturday, Mar 10, 2012 at 11:48

Saturday, Mar 10, 2012 at 11:48
The top gear guys purchased vehicles.....they may have used other sources to make it work though.

My uncle moved to the us with his work, and purchased a mustang. He will bring this back to Australia with him, but there was a time frame that I can't recall before he could do so.

If the visa that you purchased does not allow it....then you can't. Best to contact the appropriate people that issued the visa to get the definitive answer.

Have should have a top time.
AnswerID: 480039

Reply By: Rangiephil - Saturday, Mar 10, 2012 at 14:32

Saturday, Mar 10, 2012 at 14:32
I looked into this without much success last year.
It seems to be easier in Canada as the Third party insurance is state run. AFAIK the big problem in the USA is getting the mandatory insurance .
Regards Philip A
AnswerID: 480051

Reply By: aboutfivebucks (Pilbara) - Saturday, Mar 10, 2012 at 16:16

Saturday, Mar 10, 2012 at 16:16
I have done this in California.

I cant see how the Visa is connected with the vehicle ownership.
Insurance and registration is not too unlike that in Australia.

You'll feel at home as the service at the DMV is similar to here. You have to wait in line for a long while (DMV centres come come complete with security guards) and then get served by cranky employees. Tip (if you join AAA - you can sort much of the registration at their offices. Although an hour at the DMV in LA is an experience.)

I would prolly run out to Nevada next time - and the whole smog inspection carry-on wastes lots of time. Smog inspections are required each time a vehicle changes ownership.

I've done the same in Canada (BC), I don't have any preference, there much of a muchness. Except Canadians are friendlier.

Message me if you want more details.

AnswerID: 480056

Sponsored Links