2004 Jayco Freedom Pop Top

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 10, 2012 at 15:17
ThreadID: 92421 Views:2903 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all. Thinking of buying a 2004 Jayco Freedom Pop Top in pretty good condition. My 2005 Prado (V6 - Petrol) shouldn't have any trouble towing it. What fuel consumption can I expect on Highway under normal weather conditions? What are the Pros and Cons of these Poptops? There is a replacement Fridge/Freezer (Engel) for the normal 3 way Jayco fridge.
I just want to know from you guys who are pulling them around, if there is anything I need to look for when I go along and inspect it. I might get an RACQ (Qld) inspection done just to be on safe side. I inspected a Millard Poptop about a month ago and it had stress fractures in the chassis at various points. The owner had a number of steel plates welded over the 'fractures' to support the frame. I don't want to be seeing any of these things tomorrow.
Guys your comments and advice please?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Isa Nomads - Saturday, Mar 10, 2012 at 15:23

Saturday, Mar 10, 2012 at 15:23
Forgot to tell you that The Freedom is a small Poptop about 17ft 6in in length.

C Yah
AnswerID: 480053

Reply By: Bush Wanderer - Saturday, Mar 10, 2012 at 15:39

Saturday, Mar 10, 2012 at 15:39
Due to lower height economy has to be better than full size, but probably not a huge saving. Balance and speed are the big factors

I removed our engel upright, and sold it. Went back to dometic 3 way and significantly better. The engel was a killer on the batteries and struggled to maintain fridge temp (cold air falls out each time you open it)....it ran more than 50% of the time to try to keep fridge cool. Engel rep said that's simply the way it is. I have the tropical dometic version and works fine on gas or 240v even at 40 degrees ambient.

I have a diesel and economy hovers around 12.5 (90kh) to 13.5 (100kph)....mine is 2.45tonne fully loaded.

Make sure lid lifts easily. Look for dust in fridge cavity at the vents. Have a good look underneath. Plenty can be done to seal them. Make sure door closes easily....might be twisted. Make sure fridge is cold. Be careful of additional welds on the chassis. These things will give you an indication of the life it has had.

Good luck.
AnswerID: 480054

Sponsored Links