Another EO TrackMe Question

Image Could Not Be Found

Hi all ..

One for the Tracker gurus.

Late last year I embarked on a trip around Broken Hill, Birdsville and environs. Prior to leaving I installed TrackMe on my iPhone. This was to allow friends and family to follow our travels.

The resulting 'plot' only vaguely resembles our travels, having left out more than half of the trip, including our run down to Adelaide and the trip home to Newcastle via Hay and Dubbo.

My question is basically 'what happened'??? It captured part of the trip but not all the detail. I spent a long time checking and double checking all the settings before we left, and also on the road. No improvement.

My only thought is that when my iPhone goes into 'sleep' or 'battery saving' mode it does not send out any tracking signal, but I do not know how to set it up any other way. Is this the problem?

My route can be checked on the EO Track Me page here ... Member Jack .. or I will try and upload a screen dump of that track.

As usual, my thanks in advance.

Jack

The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mick O - Sunday, Mar 11, 2012 at 21:51

Sunday, Mar 11, 2012 at 21:51
OBJ, from memory you have your Iphone hooked into EO Track me. The Iphone will be operating on 3G so will only register when it has 3G reception. Obviously there are some big holes in coverage on the Birdsville Track as far as 3G is concerned so what its done is draw a straight line between the two points of reception it got, hence the straight line. Have a look at Equinox's track me. he's got it hooked into a Spot navigator which utilises GPS and gives a faithful track regardless of location

Trackme works very well on your iphone in urban areas but once into the rural and outback areas where coverage is sparse, she's not so good and you need to move to a dedicated Satnav device such as a spot.

Cheers

The apprentice
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 480114

Follow Up By: Member - Jack - Monday, Mar 12, 2012 at 06:50

Monday, Mar 12, 2012 at 06:50
Hi Mick.
OK. that makes sense, apart from the trip Adelaide - Mildura - Hay - Dubbo - Cessnock. But by then I may have been fed up trying and just switched the phone off. I cannot remember now ... CRAFT disease ....
Thanks.
Jack

FollowupID: 755647

Reply By: Member - John D, Wandong (Vic) - Sunday, Mar 11, 2012 at 22:17

Sunday, Mar 11, 2012 at 22:17
Hi Jack,
I have it installed on my iPhone as well and it works fine at the moment, but that is in and around Ballarat & Kilmore (Vic), not sure how it would go when out of signal range but when reading the install instructions on ExplorOz I get the impression that the track log is stored in a cache file when no signal is present and updated when back in signal.
You mention about the iPhone going to "sleep" or in "battery saving mode", have you clicked on the uTrackMe app on your iPhone and then clicked the "settings" button (cog symbol in top left corner) and turned "Background Tracking" to "On" to see if this makes a difference?

Regards, John
AnswerID: 480120

Follow Up By: Member - Jack - Monday, Mar 12, 2012 at 06:48

Monday, Mar 12, 2012 at 06:48
Thanks John. I did have background tracking on. Mick O's explanation sounds feasible if my 'sleep mode' theory is wrong, which is what it seems.
Thanks.

Jack

FollowupID: 755646

Sponsored Links