Thiefs on the Move - Watch your Vans & CTs

Submitted: Monday, Mar 12, 2012 at 07:48
ThreadID: 92446 Views:3826 Replies:12 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
On Friday evening my neighbour’s caravan was hooked up to a small truck and stolen from the front of his property around midnight. Fortunately I was reading a book at the time, heard the noise, investigated just in time to see the truck heading down the road with the van cover on and all. I doubt this was opportunistic, and was probably observed well ahead of Friday night’s offence.

Without going into significant detail I was able to follow the offenders, putting a call into the local police as I was doing so who were on to it very quickly. At one stage they gave me the slip, but I was able to locate the truck and van, parked on a property not far away. I understand the truck was also stolen. The police descended on the property within minutes, however it is almost certain they did not live there and the offenders appeared to have left the scene. The police dogs were brought in and were on the case.

It is up to the police to catch the offenders, and they are confident of doing this apparently. But importantly, I feel this is a win for the honest people of this world, but it also highlights that we need to be vigilant at all times as the criminal element in our society will take any opportunity seemingly with little regard for others personal property...

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Monday, Mar 12, 2012 at 08:20

Monday, Mar 12, 2012 at 08:20
There are lots of scum around. There was a report on the TV last night warning of ordinary 6x4 trailers being the target of thieves.
AnswerID: 480135

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Monday, Mar 12, 2012 at 08:45

Monday, Mar 12, 2012 at 08:45
Good job mate.

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 480136

Reply By: Kris and Kev - Monday, Mar 12, 2012 at 08:54

Monday, Mar 12, 2012 at 08:54
Well done Landy. You should feel very proud. You are obviously a very good neighbour and citizen.
Box trailers have been easy targets for low life for many years. They are so easy to remove and sell.
One big reason why these grubs steal from us, because they can, they are totally devoid of any guilt and they don't know what it is like to work hard so you can afford to buy something. They also know if they are caught, nothing will happen to them when they front a court. They usually get free legal aid and tell the court, not them but through their solicitor, how sorry they are, will not do it again, blame drugs or alcohol and that is it. If they do get a fine they don't pay it anyway. What they do learn is how not to get caught next time.

Kevin
AnswerID: 480137

Reply By: Mick O - Monday, Mar 12, 2012 at 11:29

Monday, Mar 12, 2012 at 11:29
A good job Baz. No doubt the neigbour will be providing the weekend brews for a while;-). Hopefully the local D's will lift some prints from the truck and van.

I'd reccomend fitting some device that renders the tow hitch inoperable or difficult to use. I have one even on my 7x4 just to stop the opportunists.

A solid effort citizen.

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 480141

Reply By: member - mazcan - Monday, Mar 12, 2012 at 11:30

Monday, Mar 12, 2012 at 11:30
good work well done sherlock
AnswerID: 480142

Reply By: Ray - Monday, Mar 12, 2012 at 11:34

Monday, Mar 12, 2012 at 11:34
Yes with legal aid and the ALS many criminals get off with a light centance or no centance at all. If they can't do the time don't do the crime.
AnswerID: 480143

Reply By: Wayne david - Monday, Mar 12, 2012 at 13:11

Monday, Mar 12, 2012 at 13:11
Well done Landy. If only more neighbours were that on the ball & willing.

Just a thought here - In this day & age of affordable technology, is there anything we can put on our gear that will enable us and / or the police to locate stolen items such as camper trailers?

I'm thinking something like in a mobile phone that will allow it to be tracked using GPS and where it's battery is recharged each time it's used.

Or am I being too James Bond here?

Anyone know?

Cheers - Wayne d
AnswerID: 480152

Follow Up By: The Landy - Tuesday, Mar 13, 2012 at 08:25

Tuesday, Mar 13, 2012 at 08:25
Hi Wayne

The technology exists, many of the more upmarket cars have it as a standard feature. Having said that I think when it comes to Vans and camper trailers the trick is to make it difficult to steal in the first instance, something like a wheel brace and similar. Usually these types of criminals don’t want to spend too much time trying to steal it, make it difficult and the chances are they will move on.

Cheers, The Landy
FollowupID: 755723

Reply By: Hairy (WA) - Monday, Mar 12, 2012 at 15:04

Monday, Mar 12, 2012 at 15:04
They didnt book you for using a phone while driving a vehicle did they?
AnswerID: 480158

Reply By: barry r1 - Monday, Mar 12, 2012 at 15:45

Monday, Mar 12, 2012 at 15:45
Well done Landy thats one for the good guys
AnswerID: 480161

Reply By: Life Member - esarby (NSW) - Monday, Mar 12, 2012 at 16:33

Monday, Mar 12, 2012 at 16:33
There was a report on TV last night about a new service.

Try this

http://crimsafe.com.au/blog/lost-a-trailer/

They were saying that you should have some sort of making hidden under the trailer so you can identify the trailer.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 480168

Reply By: Member - Keith Berg - Monday, Mar 12, 2012 at 16:58

Monday, Mar 12, 2012 at 16:58
Twelve months ago, my niece and her partner left their caravan on a normal rented site at a caravan park in North Queensland while they went off tenting for a few days. While they were away, someone stole the tow coupling off their van.
Which proves that the cream is not the only thing that floats to the top.
AnswerID: 480169

Reply By: Member - Jack - Monday, Mar 12, 2012 at 19:24

Monday, Mar 12, 2012 at 19:24
Hundreds of trailers are stolen around Australia each year! There is a register that has been created to help combat these actions. The main functions of this registry are:

Provide a Safe place to store information about your trailer so that in the event that it is stolen you have a record of it's details

Provide and Maintain a database of Stolen Trailers in Australia to help stop the on selling of stolen Trailers.

Educate and inform people of the growing threat of trailer theft and provide information to help prevent it in the future

You can lodge details of your trailer on here.

Then if your trailer has been stolen you can take action. After you've reported the trailer stolen, add it to our database of stolen trailers and make it harder for the trailer to be sold on.

Hope this helps.

Jack

The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 480188

Follow Up By: Member - Jack - Monday, Mar 12, 2012 at 19:26

Monday, Mar 12, 2012 at 19:26
Probably should have put in the URL as well for the cut and paste brigade ...

http://www.trailerregistry.com.au/

Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 755676

Follow Up By: The Landy - Tuesday, Mar 13, 2012 at 08:20

Tuesday, Mar 13, 2012 at 08:20
Thanks for posting that Jack, I'm sure many will find it useful...

Cheers, The Landy
FollowupID: 755720

Sponsored Links