Camerons Corner to Strezelecki Crossing Short Cut

Submitted: Monday, Mar 12, 2012 at 14:07
ThreadID: 92453 Views:2058 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I am looking at going from Camerons Corner and joining the Stezelecki Track just south of the Strezelecki Crossing. There is a track heading south west from where the road to Merty Merty turns Direct North. I was wondering if this track is useable. I did not want to go to Merty Merty and then back down if I can avoid it..

Thank you for your assistance.
Cheers
Wayne B
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Joe n Mel n kids (FNQ - Monday, Mar 12, 2012 at 16:17

Monday, Mar 12, 2012 at 16:17
the track is a single lane track, all good as long as there has been no rain but go SLOW and the crests of the dunes ate steep and you can not see others coming ....... yes flags help but still better to simply just go slower and safer ... you dont say when as i hear it is wet out there now, very wet ...
AnswerID: 480164

Reply By: Member - Tony V (NSW) - Monday, Mar 12, 2012 at 16:17

Monday, Mar 12, 2012 at 16:17
Wayne,

I have used the track in the past, last time back in January 2010. It was an interesting track, there was a bit of water around then and it has rained heavily since, so I cannot vouch on the condition.

Hopefully someone has recent knowledge, the Merty Merty road isn't that much longer in time, as your speed tends to be a little higher and a safer bet when wet.

AnswerID: 480165

Reply By: Member - Chris & Debbie (QLD) - Monday, Mar 12, 2012 at 17:00

Monday, Mar 12, 2012 at 17:00
Hi Wayne,

We have used that track a few times in the past, last time being May last year.
It had just been graded and was in very good condition and a lot better than the Cameron Crn-Merty Merty Rd.
Cuts about 60 K's off I think.

Have a good trip.
Chris
Coddiwomple (v.) To travel purposefully towards a vague destination.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message
Classifieds: Codan Envoy HF Radio X1 for sale

AnswerID: 480170

Reply By: rumpig - Monday, Mar 12, 2012 at 17:56

Monday, Mar 12, 2012 at 17:56
speak to Fenn at Cameron Corner, he'll tell you what to look for where the turn off is for that track. was 2010 when i last drove it and there was a red mudguard off of a motorbike hanging in a tree that he told us to look for. not sure if it's still there or if a sign is there now to show the turn offs location?
AnswerID: 480173

Reply By: Member - Wayne B (NSW) - Monday, Mar 12, 2012 at 18:48

Monday, Mar 12, 2012 at 18:48
Thanks Guys.

I will check with people at CC when we get there. If condition's are good I will go that way.
We are not going for some time yet just doing some pre trip planning at this stage

Early August is our scheduled date to leave.

Thanks again
Wayne B
AnswerID: 480179

Follow Up By: eighty matey - Monday, Mar 12, 2012 at 22:45

Monday, Mar 12, 2012 at 22:45
Hi Wayne,

here is the link to the Cameron Corner website http://www.outbacknsw.com.au/cameron_corner_store.htm

Sorry, I don't know how to put a direct link in this follow up yet.You'll have to copy and paste until I learn.

Hoo roo,
Steve
FollowupID: 755699

Sponsored Links