NEW CB Radio Choices Uniden UH7760NB or a GME 3540.

Submitted: Monday, Mar 12, 2012 at 19:41
ThreadID: 92468 Views:3974 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hello,
It seems there is an evolution of new gadgets all the time with changing technology, We are up for a new compact UHF CBi to go in the new 4BY, Can anyone comment on the best choice from experience of a either a Uniden UH7760NB or a GME 3540.
Both are units with controls on the mic. and main unit out of site under the dash etc. I have looked on the web and cannot find any comments about the pros & conns of either.
Appreciate any constructive comments
Cheers Don
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bush Wanderer - Monday, Mar 12, 2012 at 20:52

Monday, Mar 12, 2012 at 20:52
Very happy with my uniden. Stow it away out of the road when not in use is a big advantage of both of these units.

You need to remember with the uniden to power it down when disconnecting, otherwise you hear the unit talking away.....has you wondering where the sound is coming from when the head is in the glovebox. Just a little quirk, which maybe the same with the gme.
AnswerID: 480205

Reply By: Member - Tezza Qld - Monday, Mar 12, 2012 at 21:01

Monday, Mar 12, 2012 at 21:01
I have both, all be it in separate vehicles.
The Uniden has a speaker in the mike as well as the set. The Uniden is also cheaper.

I have tested both of these sets through the same antenna and the GME is more sensitive and I believe the better of the two.

I run both GME and Icom in our tour vehicle and a mixture in the pilot vehicles.
Whilst they all work I would rate uhf,s in an order of Icom , GME ,Uniden.

Yeh I know everyone has there own opinion but how many are running all three brands.

Oh and for the purists all my vehicles run the same RFI roof mounted antennas

I did like the extra cable that came with the Uniden as it made it very easy to mount the radio a long way from the handpiece.

Cheers Teza
AnswerID: 480208

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, Mar 12, 2012 at 21:38

Monday, Mar 12, 2012 at 21:38
Don,

Have used GME's for 30 years, and they're pretty hard to beat. Also a carrot that they are Aussie made.

One repeater we had used Icom's and after some teething problems, it worked well. Don't think the Unidens have the clarity of the other two either.

Think the hardest choice with GME's now, is working out which one to buy, they've got so many models. Did notice one that had the channel buttons on the mike, and it was easy to change channels, especially when you didn't want too.

What ever you buy, get the best aerial you can afford, in a size that suits you. Extended gain aerials with a long and short whips, give you a good mix, in both town/hilly areas, and out on the open road. 6dB is the go, for outback travel.

Also, try to keep the aerial mounting position as high as practicable....have seen blokes with them down on the bumper. About as useful as a fob pocket on a cattle dog.

Have fun, they are a great, and necessary way to communicate,

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 480211

Reply By: Member - Sonshine - Monday, Mar 12, 2012 at 21:44

Monday, Mar 12, 2012 at 21:44
I just installed mine, very happy so far.
Cant beat the deal of Radio and Antenna on eBay $289 delivered in 2 days.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170789554784#ht_2509wt_1141
AnswerID: 480212

Follow Up By: Member - Sonshine - Monday, Mar 12, 2012 at 21:44

Monday, Mar 12, 2012 at 21:44
Oh - thats the Uniden :)
FollowupID: 755689

Follow Up By: Member - Wayne B (NSW) - Monday, Mar 12, 2012 at 23:42

Monday, Mar 12, 2012 at 23:42
Just Placed a bid for one of those
Cheers
Wayne B
FollowupID: 755702

Sponsored Links