Jayco Eagle Camper trailer review

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 14, 2012 at 18:11
ThreadID: 92507 Views:4222 Replies:2 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

Hi not long to go now until we are off on a 10 000 km trip to Broome from Innisfail North Queensland. Doin the Gibb, can anyone tell me any trouble they have had with a Jayco as this is the first one we have ever owned and how do you think it will go through water and dust!
Thank you
Chanel
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Warrie (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 14, 2012 at 22:19

Wednesday, Mar 14, 2012 at 22:19
Hi chanel B, is it an off road model? On or off you will have dust getting in on the GRR. Cover the lower fridge vent,and put in a pressurising flap in the roof. On the dirt don't exceed 80kmh and run tyre pressures at 28psi.
Looks like you could do the Savannah Way - enjoy the Undara Lava Tubes and Cobbold Gorge. In case a winder cable snaps put in a length of wood to prop up the corner of the van roof. The swan in my icon did plenty of water crossings and over a few years lost a whole layer of ply from the flooring - but you won't have to worry about that just yet. Enjoy....W
Warrie

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 480390

Follow Up By: Chanel B - Thursday, Mar 15, 2012 at 07:47

Thursday, Mar 15, 2012 at 07:47
Thank you for your reply Warrie, Can you keep the fridge going while the vent is covered, I have heard to do that. Yes it is an off road model and we are getting independent suspension. We haven't even got it yet, it is still being made. Yes we are doing Cobbold gorge, Adele's Grove, Bitter Springs, Mataranka and of course all of the gorges along the GRR. We thought we would do the good road first to Broome and the Gibb on the way back. So when we get to Broome we could ask people who have just done the Gibb what it is like! We have 3 months to travel, I have taken long service leave.
FollowupID: 755858

Follow Up By: mike39 - Thursday, Mar 15, 2012 at 08:14

Thursday, Mar 15, 2012 at 08:14
Seeing as you have allowed plenty of time make Quondong Point and James Price Point camping spots for a few days/nights.

When you get towards the Wyndham end of the GRR see if the road nearly opp. El questro is open which goes past the prison tree and into Wyndham. From the prison tree for about 10km. there are some great river camp/fishing spots well above croc level.

Then after cheap(er) fuel in Wyndham take the road into Parry laggoons, fantastic bird watch place.
If you follow the track straight ahead from the car park there you will cross some flat country, through a real forest of boab trees and come out on the Kunnanurra back road which goes past Mambi Island (another good camp/fishin spot).

I reckon your Jayco will prove to be a good choice, especially with I/S and good shocks.

Enjoy your trip and stay safe.
mike
FollowupID: 755859

Follow Up By: GimmeeIsolation - Thursday, Mar 15, 2012 at 13:32

Thursday, Mar 15, 2012 at 13:32
As a side note, we shifted (driving a removal truck) from Innisfail (East Palmerston) to live here north of Broome on the beach.
One word of caution is if you stop to refuel at Camooweal, have one person stay with the vehicle when you go in to pay for fuel.
My wife went in to pay for it as I was finishing off doing the windscreen returning the squeegee and several young locals approached the passenger side of the truck looking in the side window, it was dusk and when they saw me pop up from the other side they scattered quickly.
Maybe the lowlifes have been addressed but I thought I would let you know so they don't ruin the start of your holiday.
Some of the camping places along the beach here are chockas with nomads who stay months or younger travellers staying a few weeks so if you start looking for a site, start early because you may be looking for a while for somewhere to park up in beautiful scenery and fluttering toilet paper.
Drive safe and enjoy our sunsets.
FollowupID: 755881

Follow Up By: Member - Warrie (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 15, 2012 at 21:29

Thursday, Mar 15, 2012 at 21:29
The old Swan just had slipper springs and did the Cape, GRR, Oodnadatta Track and numerous other dirt tracks. 60,000km in 4 years and one guide on the slip end got a bit worn so was welded for $140 at Seisia. As for fridge, run it on 12 volts while driving but remember to switch to gas as soon as you stop or you'll soon have a flat battery..........W
Warrie

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 755909

Follow Up By: Chanel B - Thursday, Mar 15, 2012 at 23:03

Thursday, Mar 15, 2012 at 23:03
Thank you very much everybody, very good advice. It is good to hear about spots to go as well, as we have never been this way before and have no idea on where is good and where isn't. Sounds like the Jayco will be right! I am going to write all of these places down you said to go, any would be appreciated. Thanks once again everyone! Chanel Blennerhassett
FollowupID: 755924

Reply By: patrain - Thursday, Mar 15, 2012 at 21:40

Thursday, Mar 15, 2012 at 21:40
Last year we completed the 'Outback Way' - Winton Qld to Laverton in W.A. - also have done the Oodnadatta Track in Ford RTV towing a 1973 (Yes 1973) Jayco Dove.
Had no problems at all - our advice is to take it slow and you will get anywhere.
Re fridge - we left the vent open but sealed between the fridge and the cupboards with ply and gap filler.
Don't forget to seal the vents in the door - while on the dirt - we use a lump of ply or cardboard - remember to remove them as it's an outlet for gas if you have a leak.
This year we are off to do the Tanami Track - down the West Coast and home to Melbourne via the Great Central Road.
Enjoy your travels.
AnswerID: 480462

Sponsored Links