The best of truck drivers

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 15, 2012 at 00:18
ThreadID: 92514 Views:2532 Replies:8 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Although there was a recent thread about trucks I am starting another one as it is slightly different.

There has been some bad press about the trucking industry lately so I am going to give a positive side for a change. The industry has changed big time since I was in it. The rates are appalling from the old days from when I was involved so you can all deduct your own conclusion as to what the end result is.

last week I was driving to Townsville and as I pick up a couple of workmates we tend to pass and follow the same vehicles. During this time I came up on a B Double from Lindsay Bros Transport with the plates 405 RUG, I could not get the company rig number.

This driver was awesome. He was a true professional operator. My hand held has a u/s battery so I can only listen and can't transmit otherwise I would have thanked him.

He helped little ones pass. He helped and was helped in the big vehicle area when it came to overtaking. He stopped at roadwork's and turned on his hazard lights so others would take heed and not drive into the back of the rig and indicated even at the roadwork's when pulling to the right when requested.

What really bleep me off was I rang the main depot to ask them to commend the driver on his immaculate driving and I knew when I spoke to the female manage that she couldn't care less. I will take this further in other areas to recognize this driver.

I hope all the people who are exploroz members and visitors remember this and drive the same way. Whether it is with a single vehicle, trailer or caravan.

I have punted trucks around this country and made my fair share of stuff ups. So what I guess I am saying is be safe and don't join the popular theme of giving truck drivers a hard time.

RA.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Off-track - Thursday, Mar 15, 2012 at 01:28

Thursday, Mar 15, 2012 at 01:28
Have had the pleasure to share the road with countless truckies that were extremely courteous and helpful on the road and spent a lot of time in the cab as a young fella. The one experience that really stays with me was around 10years ago when my wife and I were driving the stretch from Bourke northwards reasonably late one night in our 80 series at the time.

We probably should not have been out there that late as it was a moonless night and we had encountered many a roo since last light sometime after Wilcannia, but we were pushing time to get to our destination in NQ (not in one hit though). As we pulled away from Bourke I let a stock train past as we were only sitting on about 80 due to the blackness outside that seemed to smother out the cibies' beams. A couple of minutes down the road the driver warned me out that there was a bull on the left shoulder.

I tell you what, this bull was big! More importantly he was as black as the night and was indeed standing half on the shoulder and half in my lane on a bend in the road. Honestly if the truck driver didnt alert me I reckon the bull would've cleaned us up. Dead.

After settling down the butterflies I got back on the radio and thanked the bloke and he said no worries, throw up high beam, spotties and all, and tag along behind him a ways. We started up a conversation that continued for a few hours talking about anything and everything and even my wife joined in and we all had quite a few chuckles until we reached his destination, Cunnamulla.

As we got to the servo on the edge of town we both pulled up to meet in person and say farewell but not before Gary gave us a cap each with his company logo embroidered on the front.

It really was a good moment in time and I think we helped each other keep alert on an otherwise pretty boring section. And so to this day my Gary Athorn Livestock Transport cap is my favourite when on driving holidays.
AnswerID: 480396

Follow Up By: escapesilv - Thursday, Mar 15, 2012 at 05:58

Thursday, Mar 15, 2012 at 05:58
These are realy good stories.

I unfortunatally don't have any as good as this, but have always considered truck drivers very on the road, like always you do have the odd ones.

Cheers Rob

FollowupID: 755854

Follow Up By: escapesilv - Thursday, Mar 15, 2012 at 05:59

Thursday, Mar 15, 2012 at 05:59
Sorry

Mist out, should reed "helpful on the road".
FollowupID: 755855

Reply By: Notso - Thursday, Mar 15, 2012 at 07:35

Thursday, Mar 15, 2012 at 07:35
I've lost count of how many times I've travelled around and across Aus towing my van.

I have never had a single bad incident involving a Truck, of any size from 5 trailer road trains to Rigid Tray I have found them interesting to talk to, and safe and friendly on the road. My worst experience involved two Fellow Travellers who a couple of Truckies warned me about as they overtook the trucks in unsafe areas.

Anyhow if we all accept that everyone has a right to use the road and have consideration for others sharing the roads we'd all have a better and safer time on them.
AnswerID: 480400

Reply By: Member - Bucky - Thursday, Mar 15, 2012 at 07:59

Thursday, Mar 15, 2012 at 07:59
99% of truckies are brilliant, certeous, and extremely professional.
How thry can keep their cool, even with idiots in cars doing all sorts of unsafe things around them.

Have look at Managers and delivery requirements, and wages, that force drivers to stay out on the roads for longer than is necessay just to make a living.
And these guy's still remail to stay professional, and well mannered.

I drove a concrete mixer for 2 years, and in that time I was treated with contempt by car drivers, and many many times.
I have nothing but respect for the boy's in those big rigs.

Cheers
Bucky

AnswerID: 480402

Follow Up By: SDG - Thursday, Mar 15, 2012 at 22:48

Thursday, Mar 15, 2012 at 22:48
Today was the first time I really heard any driver ready to kill. I was coming out of Sydney this afternoon, and there was some guy on the UHF really laying it in to the truck drivers. After a while a comment was asked about why truck drivers kill whole families regulary. If this guy was found, I would hate to have been there.

FollowupID: 755919

Reply By: Member - Old Girl - Thursday, Mar 15, 2012 at 08:40

Thursday, Mar 15, 2012 at 08:40
I would go past that woman behind the desk. She is in the wrong job. My best ever job was for a truck company. Sure some came in cranky after being stuffed around but that compliment would have been a great tool. Stupid woman.
AnswerID: 480405

Reply By: pop2jocem - Thursday, Mar 15, 2012 at 10:08

Thursday, Mar 15, 2012 at 10:08
RA
Good on you for starting a positive thread about truckies (or anything for that matter) Like a lot of the posts in this thread I have only ever had good experiences when on the road. I usually sit on about 90 kph when towing and if a rig comes up behind I give the driver a call on the UHF and offer to back off when he pulls out. Some say "yeah thanks mate" most say "no worries..just keep a constant speed". I guess then they know that you are not going to speed up or slow down for no reason as some do.

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 480410

Reply By: hamo - Thursday, Mar 15, 2012 at 12:21

Thursday, Mar 15, 2012 at 12:21
Yes all to true
There are plenty of us good out there.
Its always the 1 or 2 bad eggs that spoil it for everybody else & unfortunately every body pays for the bad eggs.
A bit like All motorbike riders arnt outlaw bikies
But that's why we have laws

Transport company's need to change their ways
AnswerID: 480416

Reply By: Rockape - Thursday, Mar 15, 2012 at 14:15

Thursday, Mar 15, 2012 at 14:15
To all who replied and had some positives I am sure some of the members who still punt trucks up and down the road will appreciate the feedback.

I just rand Lindsay Bros head office and spoke to Barbara who assured me the feed back would go to the transport manager and in turn to the driver.

RA.
AnswerID: 480422

Reply By: Member - Terra'Mer - Thursday, Mar 15, 2012 at 19:23

Thursday, Mar 15, 2012 at 19:23
Hi Rockape!

This is a great thread!

Many years ago I caught a few rides around Australia with truckies and some of them have been exceptional operators, safe on the road, high ethics and good company. It is a whole other road culture in the cab of a truck and truckies have to deal with a lot of inconsiderate behaviour, especially in built up areas.

Of course state laws and company contracts have changed since then but it was a whole lot of fun getting my hands dirty helping load and unload trailers, unload and load cars on vehicle carriers, checking tyres, tiedowns and lights, etc, rolling out the swag out the back of a roadhouse in the middle of nowhere for a kip, bottomless roadhouse coffees, jabbering on the radio with other truckies from time to time, even learnt how to drive a truck.

It is not easy doing the right thing with so much pressure from deadlines and prescription/illegal drugs being too accessible but there are are plenty of commendable truckies on the road.

I take my hat off to truckies.

Cheers
Terra

Have you seen my marbles?

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 480443

Sponsored Links