Bourke Wilcannia Road - East or West Route

I traveled from Bourke to Broken Hill in 07 and went down the eastern side of the Darling River. What's the western side like? It gets me to the same place regardless but as I'm heading to Cockburn I'd like to make good time.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Thursday, Mar 15, 2012 at 21:27

Thursday, Mar 15, 2012 at 21:27
I wouldn't travel either side at the moment from Bourke, the flood peak has just gone past Trilby Station so I think the roads will be closed for a while longer yet.

We came back from Broken Hill on the western side last year and found the road to be overgrown but very drivable.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 480459

Reply By: Tim - Thursday, Mar 15, 2012 at 23:46

Thursday, Mar 15, 2012 at 23:46
And there is another peak on it's way so it will be sometime before the road is reopened.
Tim
AnswerID: 480480

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Friday, Mar 16, 2012 at 04:05

Friday, Mar 16, 2012 at 04:05
I don't think you will get down it - check this link out. Make sure you have the flood option ticked.

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 755932

Follow Up By: Holden4th - Friday, Mar 16, 2012 at 10:56

Friday, Mar 16, 2012 at 10:56
Thanks for alerting me - it never occured to me that the flooding had reached that area.

I"m not going until the beginning of April so what do you think are the chances of it being open by then? Also, would the state of the road be affected. I found it to be a very easy drive and actually passed a few 2WD saloons coming in the opposite direct. I suppose I can go via Cobar but it does add to the journey.
FollowupID: 755968

Follow Up By: Holden4th - Friday, Mar 16, 2012 at 11:04

Friday, Mar 16, 2012 at 11:04
A check of the RTA map also shows the road closed between Walgett and Bourke which is also on the route I am going to take. Apparently it's pavement damage in one specific place so hopefully that will be cleared up within the next two weeks. If not then I am due for another detour.
FollowupID: 755969

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Friday, Mar 16, 2012 at 19:57

Friday, Mar 16, 2012 at 19:57
There is also water across the road between the two damaged sections. That could take 2 - 3 weeks to get past Wilcannia. Just keep your eye on that web site.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 756009

Reply By: noodler - Friday, Mar 16, 2012 at 12:51

Friday, Mar 16, 2012 at 12:51
Kamilaroi Hwy -Walgett to Bourke Closed -road washaway .Bourke to Wilcannia via Louth and Tilpa closed .Flood peak expected at Wilcannia on 1st April .Many shire roads are closed in area Bourke /Walgett .With more rain forecast doesn't look good for events over Easter out here.Wilby Wilby Rd (Rotten Plains) from Cumborah to Grawin closed since Feb 2011 and tide still coming in .detour Rd out of Cumborah south -Kurrajong Rd -gravel ,rough,is only entry to Grawin Opal Fields and beyond to Goodooga .Travel slowly as phone and road service is practically non existant .
AnswerID: 480528

Sponsored Links