New member greetings

Submitted: Friday, Mar 16, 2012 at 16:03
ThreadID: 92561 Views:1509 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Image Could Not Be Found

Hi all,

I have just become a new member and after months and months of searching and agonising research and deliberation I have finally found and purchased the 4WD for me. An absolutely MINT condition 2003 100 series Landcruiser GXL STD Diesel. 150,000 kms on the clock and not a mark on it (see pic attached) I paid a bit more than my budget but this one was just too good to pass up. It's like stepping back in time to the showroom floor in 2003!

To say that it is a blank canvas though is an understatement. Getting a deluxe bullbar and snorkel fitted next week from ARB and plan to slowly build on it over time from there with air lockers, dual battery system, steel roof rack, rear wheel holder(s), driving lights and possibly even an aftermarket TD (before I go bankrupt!).

I was wondering if there is anyone out there that has bought a Cruiser and decked it out from scratch? Anything I should be wary of? Recommendations etc? I would be most appreciative. I am excited to be a part of this community and look forward to many years of enjoyment off road!

Regards

Craig
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member -Dodger - Friday, Mar 16, 2012 at 16:13

Friday, Mar 16, 2012 at 16:13
Welcome to the membership.
It does look like it has been well cared for.
Before you Turbo it check with mechanics if it can be done as some Toyota engines do not take to the turbo well.
However there are others here who will be able to inform you.
You will have lots of fun and get great satisfaction from personalising your vehicle.
Cheers and good luck with it all. Dodg.

I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 480543

Reply By: vk1dx - Friday, Mar 16, 2012 at 16:27

Friday, Mar 16, 2012 at 16:27
Hi Craig

Welcome to the 100 series brigade. Pretty much the same here except we found a top mechanic and started by listening to him. He started by beefing up the front suspension and then we headed along the chassis to the rest of the suspension.

Then after getting a good idea on what we wanted it for we headed inside to drawers, fridge, indash GPS, first aid, compressor, rear wheel carrier and self recovery and communications. Then to the front for a good steel bullbar and winch. Not going lockers as we have been doing quite well without them even in the rough Victorian high country. But we will get them one day budget permitting as we prefer to travel alone and therefore need to be self reliant. The latest addition was a set of maxtraxs, a Hannibal rooftop tent and a long range dual water/diesel fuel tank. No chassis or body lift as yet. The torsion bars were wound up and heavier rear springs gave us the height back that the extra load took away. 33" tyres gave us an inch more as well.

Next may be a third battery if the trip across the Simpson proves the current standard twin battery for a dual fridge setup works or not.

Some food for thought mate

Phil
AnswerID: 480545

Follow Up By: Member - Cruiser74 - Friday, Mar 16, 2012 at 16:57

Friday, Mar 16, 2012 at 16:57
Hi Phil,

Wow that sounds like a pretty fantastic set-up you got there! I live in WA and do alot of driving in the south west. I am a landscape photographer so I am often travelling early morning and dusk looking for the good light so a bullbar for me is an absolute first off must. Last thing I want is a roo stuck in my front end after only a week of owning it! Hopefully this won't put too much strain on the front suspension?

With regards to your rooftop tent, what sort of roof rack set up do you have? I was looking at the ARB rack (tourer) that is designed specifically for the tent but I prefer the full basket up top as the tent won't be coming with us all the time and will often use the roof as a platform for shooting (photos!)

Thanks for your info Phil, much appreciated.

Regards

Craig

FollowupID: 755987

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Friday, Mar 16, 2012 at 17:12

Friday, Mar 16, 2012 at 17:12
We have the ARB tourer rack and the 1.6 meter wide Hannibal roof top with the four wall annex.

I take the tent off the car when not needed. We have a front veranda over the garage entrance, that is just the right height to sling the tent under it. We reverse the car right back and with two lengths of 4x2 and a short length of chain at each end, I lift one end at a time and hook the chain over strong hooks screwed into the bottom of the veranda's floor beams. The wood extends well past the side of the tent to give me plenty of leverage to lift it on my shoulder as I go up a short step ladder leaving both hands free to hold on and manhandle the chains. Takes about 15 minutes now.

The rack is quite short and comes to about half way along the drivers window. Look around for a longer one that may even cover the roof to the windscreen. The front of the ARB tourer rack sits about 18" back from the windscreen. Wasted space by my reckoning.

Have fun.

Phil
FollowupID: 755989

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Friday, Mar 16, 2012 at 18:13

Friday, Mar 16, 2012 at 18:13
HI Craig,
Good photo you may as well add this to yor profile and then it will appear in the footer of all your forum threads. To do this click on the My Profile link in the site tool bar and you will see a section for profile pictures - load it in there and put in a signature. Then presto it will appear in all you submissions on ExplorOz including this thread.

David
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 480555

Follow Up By: Member - Cruiser74 - Friday, Mar 16, 2012 at 18:21

Friday, Mar 16, 2012 at 18:21
Cheers David, I'll do that! Will post an "after" photo in a few months next to it :)
FollowupID: 755999

Reply By: Rockape - Friday, Mar 16, 2012 at 18:36

Friday, Mar 16, 2012 at 18:36
Graig,
that is a good looking jigger.

Have a good one,
RA.

AnswerID: 480559

Sponsored Links