Limmen National Park NT declared

Submitted: Friday, Mar 16, 2012 at 16:51
ThreadID: 92565 Views:2906 Replies:3 FollowUps:16
This Thread has been Archived
Environmentalists are rejoicing with a huge tract of land and water in the Northern Territory converted into one of Australia's largest national parks.

Ending weeks of speculation, the NT government on Friday declared over 10,000 square kilometres as the Limmen National Park, including an 880 square kilometre precinct known as Limmen Bight Marine Park.

The new park is about seven times the size of the NT's Litchfield National Park and half the size of Kakadu.

It includes beaches, forests, rock art and unusual geological formations.

As a nod to miners hoping to exploit the area's vast mineral wealth, about 20 per cent of the land originally proposed for the park was excised from the plans, although this may be added back later if it is not considered worth mining.

Stuart Blanch from Environment Centre NT welcomed the declaration of the new park, saying the the government had taken a 'very big step'.

Campaigner with the Australian Marine Conservation Society in Darwin, Jess Abrahams, said the new marine park was 'an important next step and only the second marine park in NT waters,'.

According to US-based Pew Environment Group, the declaration ends 10 years of inaction in protecting outback Australia.

'Today's announcement represents a breakthrough for not just the Northern Territory but Northern Australia as well,' said Patrick O'Leary from the group.

Mr O'Leary was critical of a chunk of the proposed park being set aside for mining interests.

'We may be in the middle of a mining boom but there are also many natural places that are simply too important to dig up,' he said.

The Marra people, traditional owners of land, have had their calls to protect the environmentally and culturally sensitive Maria Island answered.

Last year a delegation of Marra elders gave the NT parliament a petition calling for Western Desert Resources not to pipe slurry to the island for processing.

The island will be rolled into the new national park and surrounded by the marine park.

NT Parks and Wildlife Minister Karl Hampton says the new park will make it very hard for Western Desert to build the pipeline.

'It is a park for the 21st century and provides certainty for everyone,' he told reporters.

'We know that we need to drive economic development ... but we need to protect the environment and those cultural assets as well.'

Executive director of the NT division of the Minerals Council of Australia, Peter Stewart, has been critical of what he claims was a lack of consultation with his organisation during the lead-up to Friday's announcement.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Richard H - West NSW - Friday, Mar 16, 2012 at 18:11

Friday, Mar 16, 2012 at 18:11
Bugger the N.T. Government, why couldn't they have announced this in September.

I propose to travel from Borolloola to Mataranka in August with two dogs that I cannot leave behind.

I dunno, I really don't, and I suppose they'll have one of the 'Femmo Nazis' waiting at the entrance gate to collect a transit fee, and if I travel through I'll get sprung. Bugger 'em!!!!!!!!

AnswerID: 480553

Follow Up By: Member Andys Adventures - Friday, Mar 16, 2012 at 19:44

Friday, Mar 16, 2012 at 19:44
Hi Richard,
You don't need to go through Limmen NP to get to Mataranka from Borroloola. Go through Cape Crawford and down to 3 ways then up to Mataranka. It is all sealed road that way and quicker.
Haven't spoken to Stewart (ranger) today to find out what this means, as we are dog friendly here at Lorella Springs, which is now surrounded by NP.
Andy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 756006

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Friday, Mar 16, 2012 at 22:46

Friday, Mar 16, 2012 at 22:46
Andy
Your going a bit out of your way going to Three Ways, I would be more inclined to head for the Highway Inn near Daly Waters.
Oh ok you must have a hema GPS , or a Navman, or a TomTom, OK i've finished beating my Drum.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 756025

Follow Up By: Member - Richard H - West NSW - Saturday, Mar 17, 2012 at 08:07

Saturday, Mar 17, 2012 at 08:07
Andy,

I've done the bitumen heaps of times, and as I've just got a new van that can go your way I was planning on using the road past you.

As I'll have friend from the U.S. accompanying me, I intended to stop at Lorella for a few days as she hasn't ever been out in our bush.

I cannot afford to place my two dogs in a kennell here for the length of time I'll be away, and besides the animals fret, which I'm not keen on. My neighbours who previously are now too old to be saddled with two dogs, one quite active.

Can N.T. Parks to be sensible for once. I know it will be an effort, as they all seem to have the idea that dogs upset the native fauna. Not that pigs, wild dogs, donkeys, goats, brumbies, camels and cats, don't.

Surely they must see that a lot of us take our pets with us, and if controlled. tied up, and we clean up their mess, they aren't a problem, further that we're responsible people.

FollowupID: 756037

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Saturday, Mar 17, 2012 at 08:46

Saturday, Mar 17, 2012 at 08:46
Richard
Jabiru has Dogs running around everywhere, when I go to visit friends there I take my Dog, because Jabiru township is NOT part of the Kakadu NP.
And I'm with you about all the other Ferals, NP's are a breeding haven for them.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 756038

Follow Up By: Member Andys Adventures - Saturday, Mar 17, 2012 at 09:13

Saturday, Mar 17, 2012 at 09:13
Hi Doug, My mistake, I meant Hiway Inn.
And Richard I will be ringing Stewart some time this week to find out if you can bring dogs in as it is a public road and not maintained by the NP. Will post the answer when I find out.
Andy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 756039

Follow Up By: Member - Richard H - West NSW - Saturday, Mar 17, 2012 at 09:31

Saturday, Mar 17, 2012 at 09:31
Andy,

Good man.

I just hope that sanity will prevail. If they say that you can transit the park using the road and don't stop and camp, it will assist.

Should they agree to this, then in late July or early August, you'll have five guests for a couple of days.

Looking at my map [Camps 3] of your area, Roper Bar is not included in the new estate, so can you tell me/us, should one be able to travel from Lorella to that location drawing a van, in one day?

I think we are 20 years too late also. I can recall going into national parks with my wife & kids over the Xmas break, no fees, no 'femmo nazis' harassing you about displaying permits on the left side of the dashboard [yes, they did]. Where have we gone wrong, they slug you admission fees and that's all. Ask them to chat some hoons about noise at night or tear arsing about the joint on quad bikes, or empty a garbage bin and you can't see them for dust.?

I'll wait for your reply. If they become silly I'll find out who's who in the zoo up there and slip a letter into them. Even if I get knocked back, at least someone improves their keyboard skills.
FollowupID: 756040

Follow Up By: george50 - Sunday, Mar 18, 2012 at 21:05

Sunday, Mar 18, 2012 at 21:05
Spot- on Richard , N.P.s everywhere now means if you own a dog - stay home , no regard for the average sensible dogowner . It would be too hard for them to allow dogs in designated grounds within the parks - just ban ,ban, ban . I wonder how many people would see this country if there were reasonable rules applied .
I'd love to see National Parks privately leased , since these turkeys don't care if you come or not.
FollowupID: 756182

Follow Up By: Member Andys Adventures - Friday, Mar 23, 2012 at 18:25

Friday, Mar 23, 2012 at 18:25
Have just spoken to Stewart the ranger and he has no problem you bringing dogs to Lorella Springs as long as you don't stop and let your dogs out in the NP.
And to Richard, yes you can do that drive in 1 day, the roads are in good condition at the moment.
Lorella Springs will be open for Easter if anyone is up this way.
Andy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 756584

Follow Up By: Member - Richard H - West NSW - Sunday, Mar 25, 2012 at 09:37

Sunday, Mar 25, 2012 at 09:37
Thanks for finding that out for me Andy.

I'm still negotiating with No. 1 son to look after the pan lickers, if negotiations break down they come with me.

We'll probably be there mid June, will you be accepting campers & do we need to book?

Rick
FollowupID: 756687

Follow Up By: Member Andys Adventures - Friday, Mar 30, 2012 at 08:14

Friday, Mar 30, 2012 at 08:14
Hi Richard,
We are open now, and have our first camper here. You can make a booking by ringing the station on 0889759917.
Cheers Andy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 757133

Follow Up By: Member - Richard H - West NSW - Friday, Mar 30, 2012 at 08:51

Friday, Mar 30, 2012 at 08:51
Thanks Andy.

There should be five of us, 3 x F & 2 X M. I will be accompanied by an American lady friend who has not seen a great deal of Oz, only Sydney & Darwin.

My brother in-law has a conventional van, twin axle type. Will he experience any problems on the your road in?

Notwithstanding that, I'll telephone in advance when we get close, say Mt. Isa, as have a better idea of date/times.

Rick
FollowupID: 757136

Reply By: Members - Bow & Nan - Friday, Mar 16, 2012 at 20:21

Friday, Mar 16, 2012 at 20:21
The end of free camping on the Roper River.

AnswerID: 480566

Follow Up By: Member - lyndon NT - Friday, Mar 16, 2012 at 23:10

Friday, Mar 16, 2012 at 23:10
Yup, the Nazis are coming for your! LOL. It is getting harder and harder to get away from them! That said, we usually camp at Roper Bar but for those of you who like the congestion of T/I you are stuffed. That said, launch your boat at T/I drive down the track, take a brush cuter, make your own camp site, fresh water still available on the track not too far away. Only problem I can see is that if they get really nasty they can find your camp site by where you tie up your boat.
I was born 30 years to late! Oh for the Leyland's time, I would be happy to for go the aircon for the, no permits, drive wherever you want and be welcome when you arrive!

PS, there is another tact you can take, simply refuse to obey a "stupid rule" that someone tries to impose on you! I did this as a young guy many years ago, the ranger gave up as I pointed out to him that I didn't think the Police would be interested in the 800km round trip to try to enforce his stupid law!

Cheers
Now is the only time you own
Decide now what you will,
Place faith not in tomorrow
For the clock may then be still

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 756027

Follow Up By: Member - shane c5 - Saturday, Mar 17, 2012 at 16:46

Saturday, Mar 17, 2012 at 16:46
A great stand by the NT Govt. You should see what and how much country the Qld govt wants coal miners to dig up in Qld. They have gone halves in these ventures with China in a venture called "China First" which will also be partially worked by chinese labour!!! Look up Brimbel box nature reserve near Alpha and then give it a kiss goodbye as it has a mining lease over it. Qld coal now has twice the carbon footprint of Saudi Arabia.
shane05
FollowupID: 756079

Reply By: get outmore - Sunday, Mar 18, 2012 at 22:44

Sunday, Mar 18, 2012 at 22:44
those complaining about national parks have no clue. More and more and it will only increase anything thats not national park is being farmed, mined or subdivided

we need more national parks not less
AnswerID: 480751

Follow Up By: Member - Richard H - West NSW - Monday, Mar 19, 2012 at 08:11

Monday, Mar 19, 2012 at 08:11
Yep, a nice way for governments to appease the 'green element'. Hand what was previously well managed state forest to unmanaged national parks.

But do they hand out additional funds and recruit staff - no. Which essentially means they can't manage what they have, let alone get more.

So then we find huge tracts of land rarely visited by rangers, and which become a breeding ground for introduced pests, and the start of bush fires because they don't possess the rescources to conduct hazard reduction.

As the population increases we will need room to move and to produce food. Creating additional national parks will restrict development, whilst there will be large amounts of land going to waste.

The whole concept needs a royal commission so as to obtain a balance, not like it is currently is, a one eyed view of conservation.
FollowupID: 756202

Follow Up By: Members - Bow & Nan - Monday, Mar 19, 2012 at 08:40

Monday, Mar 19, 2012 at 08:40
Richard well said
FollowupID: 756205

Follow Up By: get outmore - Monday, Mar 19, 2012 at 09:12

Monday, Mar 19, 2012 at 09:12
We already have vast tracts of land breeding feral animals and weeds there called stations
FollowupID: 756206

Sponsored Links