Mouse plague update

Submitted: Friday, Mar 16, 2012 at 21:34
ThreadID: 92573 Views:2248 Replies:8 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hello everyone,

Last June went and did some of the oodnadatta track and the mouse plague was quite bad. Have a few weeks off over the easter holidays and thinking of redoing the track again and heading a bit more north this time.

Just wondering if anyone has heard how the mice are this year?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Explorer - Friday, Mar 16, 2012 at 22:28

Friday, Mar 16, 2012 at 22:28
Hi

Only advice I can provide is don’t let mice control your life. Look what happened to Willard:) Go for it! Show them who's boss!!

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 480582

Reply By: Member - Richard H - West NSW - Saturday, Mar 17, 2012 at 09:39

Saturday, Mar 17, 2012 at 09:39
Nothing has been reported as yet.

Though with the decent rains we have recently had in the west of N.S.W. & northern S.A. they could breed up.

I stopped overnight in that rest area on the S.A./N.T. border last August, and they were everywhere.

Keep everything closed up and they shouldn't be a problem.
AnswerID: 480603

Reply By: Wilko (Parkes NSW) - Saturday, Mar 17, 2012 at 11:10

Saturday, Mar 17, 2012 at 11:10
Hi Gordon,

They will breed back up with the recent rains but so has foxes/cats. They are everywhere at the moment, Hit 2 foxes and 1 cat coming back from Broken hill last night. They'll help to keep numbers in check.

Cheers Wilko
AnswerID: 480620

Reply By: Ross M - Saturday, Mar 17, 2012 at 14:06

Saturday, Mar 17, 2012 at 14:06
Take some mouse traps and bait them near each wheel of the vehcile's. It will slow the numbers crawling up the tyres or up the stone flap at the back.

We had some joy riders from Dalhousie and it took us three days to ge rid of them out of the vehicle. They love corn chips. If you dropped one in the vehicle they will find it. They don't want to eat everything its just that they are inquisitive and that is why they open every food packet you have, just to see if it is better than the last one they opened.

Some people set a couple of traps in the closest vegetation to where you are stopped. This gets em before they make the dash for your dinner.
These little fellas know the things arriving on rubber dohnuts have tucker inside.
AnswerID: 480636

Follow Up By: Lifetime Member-Heather MG NSW - Saturday, Mar 17, 2012 at 14:25

Saturday, Mar 17, 2012 at 14:25
We only had one inside the van last year and because I had the food all safely packaged and out of reach, he decided to nibble on the silicone edges of my expensive new tefal ingenio stackable saucepan lids. A couple of them have tiny ragged toothmarks around and every time I use them I recall that wonderful trip. It hasn't stopped the saucepans from being functional.

This year I will make sure any silicone is securely packaged as well as all the food!

My husband set traps and caught up to 40 in some places overnight.

Regards,

Heather
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 756067

Reply By: gordon_adel - Saturday, Mar 17, 2012 at 17:46

Saturday, Mar 17, 2012 at 17:46
We had them running across burning logs last year. Even crawling up your leg at the pub in william creek. Was crazy. But yeah if you prepare things properly and store food correctly it's not really problem.

The wife not a big fan of them though.
AnswerID: 480653

Reply By: Rockape - Saturday, Mar 17, 2012 at 17:55

Saturday, Mar 17, 2012 at 17:55
gordon_adel,

you maybe lucky. We had a rat plague last year (Australian long tailed bush rats). The word from the EPA was that they would be around for another 2 seasons.

Well about last October they all disappeared and I haven't seen one since.

There has been enough rain and the grasses are long so I don't know what happened to them. Not that I miss them mind you. They were that hungry that they bit a few people.

Maybe the mice will not appear hopefully.

RA.
AnswerID: 480655

Reply By: achjimmy - Monday, Mar 19, 2012 at 22:46

Monday, Mar 19, 2012 at 22:46
What's the go to mice/proof your van or car! We have an expanda so I guess check for any crevices on the bed ends etc, cause I know the buggers can squeeze through a crack? It is just keep the doors closed?
AnswerID: 480854

Reply By: zenonie - Tuesday, Mar 20, 2012 at 09:04

Tuesday, Mar 20, 2012 at 09:04
There are no mice in my area between Thargomindah and Hungerford. Cheers zenonie
AnswerID: 480869

Sponsored Links