Gps and the tourist

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 17, 2012 at 14:00
ThreadID: 92584 Views:1806 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I got a kick out of this last night.

The best I can say is some people are different.

Have a look for yourselves HERE.

Some days are diamonds and some days are rocks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Rich - Saturday, Mar 17, 2012 at 14:31

Saturday, Mar 17, 2012 at 14:31
I like it!!

I have been caught by a mad GPs overseas and here. At least here I knew it was going to be a wild trip but reckon if it was wet and/or night and you didn't know what to expect, ie tourist, it could have been dangerous as was all dirt with a few long drop offs. A quicker and better way was available via bitumen. I put in a complaint about it but still enjoyed the trip.

Overseas we were sent off on a dirt road again which was getting a bit rough for our hired sedan car so we turned around and found another road.

I am still a big fan of the GPs though and reckon it is becoming an essential tool for the car.

Nice to still have a paper map though but am using it less and less.

Rich

AnswerID: 480637

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Mar 17, 2012 at 16:33

Saturday, Mar 17, 2012 at 16:33
RA,

That's priceless!

What about that little blue car, getting that far into the water. Fit it with 4WD & a snorkel, and it would have got to Straddie.

They almost look like the young people who rolled a car at Carleton Ck, east of Camooweal, a while back, when I was coming back from Barkly Homestead. Nah, couldn't be, there was four of them. Ha ha.

I was nearly in the same boat(no pun intended), some months back in Darwin.
Had to get to NQX depot but got "lost", numerous times, and even ended up near a patch of mangroves....shudder!!!

Turns out a 'B' triple dosen't have the turning circle of a Falcon sedan, so there's not many places to do a "U" turn along Tiger Brennan Drive!

Wonder if anyone can top your thread this week, RA?

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 480643

Follow Up By: Rockape - Saturday, Mar 17, 2012 at 17:43

Saturday, Mar 17, 2012 at 17:43
Bob,
I got a big laugh out it. Best not to under estimate a little Getz.

It would have been a bugger if you had to de rig your trailers and turn them around one at a time. Now I reckon I would have heard the swearing from here.

A good number of years agoI was coming back from Selwyns bore fields around midnight. Much to my surprise I came across a triple parked up on the side of the track. Pulled up and woke the driver who said he had been told to come that way to get to Tickhill. I informed him that I would be flat out getting my ute to Tickhill at that time of the year so he says can I go via Chatsworth. I said you can but if you get any rain he could be stuck for weeks.

Told him to go back to Malbon and then take the Duchess road. He would have had to de rig and pull one trailer around at a time.

Bob did you know Wes Nichols by any chance.

RA.
FollowupID: 756086

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, Mar 18, 2012 at 08:24

Sunday, Mar 18, 2012 at 08:24
RA,

No, don't know Wes.

What I meant to add to the above, was that I did have a gps, but a mate gave me the right street, but wrong suburb, and the gps, in all its wisdom, gave me the no-go.

Funny thing was, every time I found a good spot to do a U-turn, half dozen cars would rock up, and this was around 3am!!!

Bit damp in Winton this morning, might be a wet trip to the Barkly today......
See ya,

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 756113

Sponsored Links