Great Central Road - closures ??

Hi all.

Just curious. Can anyone recall the last time any sections of the Great Central Road
was closed because of bad conditions, such as flooding, etc.?

I am with a group that is planning a trip, due to take place in a couple of months,
that includes travelling along this road and I do appreciate that conditions can change many times during this period.

At the moment there is a large cyclone about to cross the WA coast. We have already changed our preferred route due to flooding in NSW and QLD and was wondering when the last time the GCR was flooded out. Like I said, just curious.

Any recollections ??

Wayne
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Mar 17, 2012 at 18:26

Saturday, Mar 17, 2012 at 18:26
Hi Wayne

That far out I would not be worrying too much. If it was next week, then I would be keeping a very close eye on road and weather conditions.

Even though it is classes as an all seasons road, yes it does close from time to time when things get very wet. From memory the longest time that I can recall it closed, it was for less than a week mainly around the Laverton area.

Like any outback areas, give it a little breeze and sun on the track, and you would be surprise how quick it will dry out.

One of our trip along there a few years ago, we had constant rain from just out of Warburton until all the way to Warakurna. By the time we arrived there, there were some large puddles on the road, but otherwise it was not muddy to drive on and Warakurna had received 12mm of rainfall.

Next morning the sun was out and it was back to dust on the track. The closer that we got to Docker Driver, there were some very big puddles of water right across the road, but otherwise fine to drive on. We were told that Docker River had 35mm of rain, but because of the sandy conditions, the water had been sucked up by the dry desert conditions.

All the best with your trip, it is great country out that way.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 480660

Reply By: True Blue - Saturday, Mar 17, 2012 at 21:04

Saturday, Mar 17, 2012 at 21:04
Thanks Stephen for your reply. Very much appreciated.

cheers,
Wayne
AnswerID: 480668

Follow Up By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Sunday, Mar 18, 2012 at 08:12

Sunday, Mar 18, 2012 at 08:12
A couple of years ago Warburton was completely flooded. I don't know how much rain that takes.

Alan
FollowupID: 756112

Follow Up By: True Blue - Sunday, Mar 18, 2012 at 10:00

Sunday, Mar 18, 2012 at 10:00
Thanks Alan.
FollowupID: 756118

Reply By: Hairy (WA) - Sunday, Mar 18, 2012 at 11:40

Sunday, Mar 18, 2012 at 11:40
Gday,
When we moved from Alice to WA we came across that way and the road was closed on and off for weeks leading up to leaving......it opened the day we left.
I think it was the end of August early September. Weather patterns in the centre have changed over the years but its quite common to get rain around the centre in June........you just need to watch the weather as it gets close, check the road reports before you leave and hope like bleep .........its a long way around otherwise.

Cheers
AnswerID: 480699

Reply By: rocco2010 - Sunday, Mar 18, 2012 at 11:47

Sunday, Mar 18, 2012 at 11:47
Gidday Wayne

there was flooding at Warburton in February 2011 when they had abt 120mm over two days and again in March when they had another 60. At Laverton later in March they had over 150mm in three days. But looking at last year's weather records that was about it for the year as far as major rain events go. They may well be getting a drink as I write from Cyclone Lua but they might also miss out, that's the way it is over here. I was out there in July last year. It is great country, Enjoy your trip.

Cheers

Rocco
AnswerID: 480700

Reply By: Hendo79 - Monday, Mar 19, 2012 at 18:07

Monday, Mar 19, 2012 at 18:07
Hi Wayne
I work out near the GCR around laverton WA . At the moment it very wet around hear . Your best bet will be to contact the laverton shire prior to leaving and get a road condition report for the shire that will tell you if there's any thing you need to know

Cheers
Hendo
AnswerID: 480816

Reply By: True Blue - Monday, Mar 19, 2012 at 19:56

Monday, Mar 19, 2012 at 19:56
Thanks boys for all your replies and suggestions.

We have about 6 weeks to go before we start our holiday from Melbourne so it will be interesting to follow the progress of the state of the GCR in view of the rainfall of late and who knows what the future holds.

Oh well, it's all good. It's just great to be out there.

Thanks again and happy travels.

Wayne
AnswerID: 480836

Sponsored Links