mitsubishi tritons

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 18, 2012 at 17:48
ThreadID: 92612 Views:2638 Replies:6 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
hey i am looking for a new car and i have looked at a few mitsubishi tritons. they have all been either 2002 2003 or 2004 models and im wondering if anyone knows of any problems with these? i have looked mainly at turbo diesels but have also looked at a v6. how thirsty are the v6's? thanks callum
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - nick b - Sunday, Mar 18, 2012 at 21:39

Sunday, Mar 18, 2012 at 21:39
gooday mate : Have a look at a ML triton 06 on turbo diesel , if it meets your budget a lot better vehicle , I'm very impressed with 4wd ability of this vehicle plus the on road & towing ability .....

"JUST LUV THAT CAR"

cheers nick
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 480745

Reply By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Monday, Mar 19, 2012 at 05:13

Monday, Mar 19, 2012 at 05:13
My Daughter has an 07 model V6 and she's happy with it, I don't know performance details , it's an Auto, very nice to drive.
The owner of Mt Bundy has one here, I think it's around 06 or 07, performs good, cruise at 130Kph with ease and has heaps more, I nudged it up to 160 once and still had more. the downside is frontal ground clearance as the bash plate is all mangled, it also seems very skippy on Corrugations probably as it's light over the back end, bag of sand or a set of OME would fix that,
Oh yeh and they are a damn good ute for hauling drums of Mollasses around too, but one should be very very careful when undoing the bung.

Image Could Not Be Found

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 480765

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Monday, Mar 19, 2012 at 05:30

Monday, Mar 19, 2012 at 05:30
I forgot to add, on the dual Cabs the back window protector bars that are part of the ute body don't really protect the back window, he was loading the Quad last week to take it up to Darwin for servicing and the bump bar on the Quad bumped the center window protector bar bending it in and smashed the window.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 756200

Reply By: pepper2 - Monday, Mar 19, 2012 at 08:42

Monday, Mar 19, 2012 at 08:42
Had a 2011 model dual cab diesal (the tub is longer than previous model) auto,absolute pleasure to drive heaps of power,great acceleration,and towing,but very limited in 4wd application,very poor ramp over angle and limited ground clearance may be able to be raised with aftermarket gear ,fuel consumption over 25000k was 10 klm per litre.
AnswerID: 480771

Reply By: peteC - Monday, Mar 19, 2012 at 15:09

Monday, Mar 19, 2012 at 15:09
The models you are looking at - Diesel was not that powerful compared to other makes of that age. V6 was good but would be wary of KMs. Body wise they were OK. I had the 94 MJ TD model and was excellent. I got the ML and they are crap, had to get rid of it before warranty ran out as I could not affrod the constant repairs and issues Mitso could not fix. Pity because they were great when working. The current MN model is also dogged with issues. Our company used hundreds of these aroung the country until we realised how bad they are and have gone back to Hilux and trying some new Rangers.
AnswerID: 480802

Follow Up By: landseka - Monday, Mar 19, 2012 at 19:11

Monday, Mar 19, 2012 at 19:11
I would be interested to hear what those "constant repairs and issues" were as I also had a ML and now have a MN Triton and apart from the carbon build-up in the inlet manifold which seems to dog many small turbo diesels I have had no problems and can't speak highly enough of them.
They are not great at serious off-roading but they are not designed for that. With a few mods they can be made very capable, such as tyres, lift etc.

Cheers Neil
FollowupID: 756254

Follow Up By: Member - nick b - Tuesday, Mar 20, 2012 at 07:55

Tuesday, Mar 20, 2012 at 07:55
Well said Neil ......

re carbon build up is down to poor fuel i have been told ....

cheers nick
Cheers Nick b

FollowupID: 756280

Follow Up By: peteC - Tuesday, Mar 20, 2012 at 08:54

Tuesday, Mar 20, 2012 at 08:54
The ML - 6 steering colums, inlet manifold, 2 x ball joints, 3x rear spring fixes to stop squeaks, countless computer upgrades/flashes, surging that was becoming dangerous on wet country roads. When sold the only issue fixed was the manifold and ball ljoints. Mitso could not fix the rest so sold at 80,000km. The MN at work (we have probably 100 or more across the country ) had the same steering colom issues, diff leaks, surging and limp mode issues, drivers windows falling out, scrubbing tyres, rear spring squeks, that I know of. 2 of our sub contractors also got new MN's and have regreted their decision as well.
As I said, pity because when they are going well they are good. You say they are not great serious off road, but compared to most others on the market I think they are.
Back to the original post - the model he was looking at - MK, I never heard of any issues they have now
FollowupID: 756283

Follow Up By: Member - nick b - Tuesday, Mar 20, 2012 at 09:54

Tuesday, Mar 20, 2012 at 09:54
Has any one else had these problems ????

I would have thought there would be more threads on this if it was so ....

and i'm a member of triton forum.....

only problem thats common i know is rear spring sag & carbon build up...

Cheers Nick b

FollowupID: 756292

Reply By: Hi-ryder - Tuesday, Mar 20, 2012 at 07:03

Tuesday, Mar 20, 2012 at 07:03
Hi Callum i've had three now a mid 90's club cab 4cyl pet loved that but under pwered for towing . So i brought a 2001 v6 pov pack 5 sp duel cab Great truck took it everywhere little thirsty but otherwise no drama's . Now have a 05 v6 auto with all the gear . Nice truck thirsty towing . Just make sure services are upto date . Change oil earlier than in log book . Good luck with it
AnswerID: 480863

Reply By: Member - Noldi (WA) - Thursday, Mar 22, 2012 at 18:04

Thursday, Mar 22, 2012 at 18:04
Image Could Not Be FoundBought my 2003 2.8lt 5 months ago, very happy, no issues so far. Taking it away Easter then 2 week trip Dunns track, ten Dundas to Balladonia Telegraph Track, then down to Mt Ragged.

Feel totally confidant with the vehicles capabilities and reliability. May feel different the first time it breaks down though ;-)

AnswerID: 481108

Sponsored Links