Toyota 2.8 Rattle under load

Submitted: Monday, Mar 19, 2012 at 11:19
ThreadID: 92622 Views:1883 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Good morning

I have a 1990 Toyota with the 2.8D motor, it has an after market safari turbo with snorkel fitted.

Recently it has developed a rattle sound which comes in under load, it almost sounds like it is coming from behind the speedo.

There is no sound when it is driven smoothly and not gunned if going up a steep hill, the turbo puts out around 9 psi, I have checked the turbo vanes and there is movement there about a couple of mm side to side, however I have been told this would not make the rattle sound.

Have looked for loose items etc and cannot find any, the motor is well looked after, had a full recon 120,000 ago and has never let me down.

Anyone have any ideas on were to look for the noise, the noise will not come on if the vehicle is revved when stationary, it must be moving and under load at about 3000 revs.

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: peteC - Monday, Mar 19, 2012 at 14:58

Monday, Mar 19, 2012 at 14:58
Sounds like overfuelling causing engine rattle. May need a good tune up. Wouldnt normally happen on a non computer engine in standard spec, but you have added a turbo and fuel pump may not be set quite right
AnswerID: 480800

Reply By: splits - Monday, Mar 19, 2012 at 19:24

Monday, Mar 19, 2012 at 19:24
If it sounds like it is coming from behind the speedo then it might be the speedo. The old cable driven type are noted for making a noise when the cable lubrication dries out. Engine vibrations during the conditions you describe might be just right to trigger it. Before going any further, disconnect the cable at the transmission end and see if it makes a difference. If it does then pull the inner cable out and rub graphite grease along its full length. If it won't come out from the bottom end then it will from the top.
AnswerID: 480827

Reply By: Member - Chris & Debbie (QLD) - Monday, Mar 19, 2012 at 22:03

Monday, Mar 19, 2012 at 22:03
I would say the injectors need a service, you could try running a strong does of injetor cleaner through it but it would be better to get them serviced
Chris
Coddiwomple (v.) To travel purposefully towards a vague destination.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message
Classifieds: Codan Envoy HF Radio X1 for sale

AnswerID: 480851

Sponsored Links