Savannah Way

I own a Kluger, and am planning a trip across to WA in September. Can anybody tell me whether they reckon the Kluger would be able to handle the Savannah Way from Cairns across the Gulf to the Stuart Highway? Would I need to make any mods, or should I forget it and stick to the black top?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Warrie (NSW) - Monday, Mar 19, 2012 at 19:06

Monday, Mar 19, 2012 at 19:06
Hi Greg, we did it from Cairns to Burketown the down to Lawn Hill in Sept last year, in a Pathfinder towing an on - road van. It's really a 2WD road with a few corrugated sections. Drive to conditions with your tyres at 28psi. Some would not be fazed by the gravel road and others will be less happy. By Sept it will have been regraded after the Wet.... W
Warrie

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 480823

Reply By: Ross M - Monday, Mar 19, 2012 at 19:40

Monday, Mar 19, 2012 at 19:40
12 years ago I travelled from Cairns to Normanton in a Landcruiser 60 series.
Many cars also travelled across, some towing caravans.

A Kluger should do it easily but the dedicated road tyres which aren't made for the occasional rough road and rocks might suffer.
Some attention to tyres better suited to all terrain would be my advice.

If close to an oncoming Road Train, you pull well off and stop. The RT WILL NOT yield or slowdown.That way you will suffer the minimum of damage. I have had RT's throw rocks all over my vehicle, travelling forward at the same time makes it much more severe.

Depending on the season some form of radiator screening protection will be good to have if the conditions call for it.

If towing a trailer or campervan make sure you have a screen to cover the rear window from rebounding stones which will break the glass if no protection is there. I have had fist sized stones come forward over the roof and slide down the windscreen at 75kmh forward.
Carry spare drive belts/ radiator hoses for your car, even if you can't fit them someone else probably can to help you on your way.
Do you have a uhf radio? Even a small handheld unit will work well to help you communicate with others near you so you all know who is going to do what when.
AnswerID: 480831

Reply By: Member - Gordon T (NSW) - Monday, Mar 19, 2012 at 22:31

Monday, Mar 19, 2012 at 22:31
There is a great DVD I think you would get considerable benefit from watching. It is SAVANNAH WAY - Across the Top. It is a Lifestyle Video production made in 2011 and it has just about all the info you would need about that route including fuel, camping spots, roads and sites to see. I think it is available from ExlorOz.
AnswerID: 480853

Reply By: marq - Tuesday, Mar 20, 2012 at 19:25

Tuesday, Mar 20, 2012 at 19:25
Should be fine, but put some A/T tyres on and lower the pressures down to 26 to 28psi hot when on the dirt roads at max 80-90kph.

Don't forget to check the tyre pressures regularly.

Don't forget to obtain a compact tyre pump if you can afford it.
AnswerID: 480923

Sponsored Links