Skytrek vs Wallabies on again

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 21, 2012 at 14:54
ThreadID: 92687 Views:2343 Replies:9 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Just thought I'd check out Skytrek in the Flinders as I thought we could do it later this year and lo and behold there's a kerfuffle - again. If you go into the archives and check the 2010 posts you see what I mean. The bottom line is that the cost of a 6 hour trek will rise to $110. How many will still be interested? It's $75 now but unless an agreement is arrived at with the Wallaby Association by March 24 the price will have to rise. I should have paid the $50 in 2005! May as well extend the Lake Eyre fence down to willow Springs. ....W
Link to their press release: http://www.skytrekwillowsprings.com.au/skytrekhelp.htm
Warrie

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Wednesday, Mar 21, 2012 at 15:19

Wednesday, Mar 21, 2012 at 15:19
G'day Warrie, we paid $40 in 04 & certainly enjoyed the drive, but I wouldnt pay
$110, but I'm a miserable old fart...:)))). But I suppose if they get 6 a day they will
take as much as 16 paying $40, but I doubt many will fork out over $100...oldbaz.
AnswerID: 481007

Follow Up By: cookie1 - Wednesday, Mar 21, 2012 at 15:35

Wednesday, Mar 21, 2012 at 15:35
Nope, can't justify that, it was a nice drive and a pleasurable day but...

I think they have all become a little over the top whereas we started doing these trips back in the early 2000's to give them extra cash which they so rightly deserved however it is getting rather silly me thinks.

The problem with charging high with a low take up is that the self track maintenance, that is us punters going over it and keeping the tracks open, will end up with them having to grade the tracks to keep the growth down. Seen it happen in plenty of other places, and once we - 10 fourby's went through, it was distinguishable again.

Something along the lines of cooking the golden goose??

cheers

Colin
FollowupID: 756399

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, Mar 21, 2012 at 18:35

Wednesday, Mar 21, 2012 at 18:35
I really feel for the owners of Willow Springs Station who have developed the iconic trek into what it is. Their primary business will still be viable I trust and Willow Springs is still a great place to base oneself to check out the local natural features, without doing Skytrek.

Boo on the bloody Wallabie Association. Just a bunch of "do not much gooders" with their own self interests in mind,

The prices quoted will kill the Skytrek experience.
Just as well We've experienced it some years ago.

There are other (cheaper) alternatives in the Flinders for folk to experience without the high cost.
Without the extra "income", maybe the extortionists on the neighbouring property will run out of finance and fadeaway.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 481021

Follow Up By: Member - Tony S (WA) - Thursday, Mar 22, 2012 at 01:25

Thursday, Mar 22, 2012 at 01:25
Times 2
The rig

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 756448

Reply By: Member - gujimbo - Wednesday, Mar 21, 2012 at 18:49

Wednesday, Mar 21, 2012 at 18:49
Might have to join the Yellow Footed Rock Wallaby Preservation Association Inc just to camp and drive in the area !!, interesting note from their website

""As the current operators have advised they will not agree to the renewal terms, the Association intends seeking expressions of interest from other tourist operators for exclusive or non-exclusive operation of the tour after March 2012""

.......non profit association Hmm

Cheers
AnswerID: 481024

Reply By: Member - Krakka - Wednesday, Mar 21, 2012 at 18:56

Wednesday, Mar 21, 2012 at 18:56
I believe the owners at Willow Springs have developed a new track on their property, our 4wd club went there 2 weeks ago and drove both tracks, old one and the new one.
May pay to give them a call or send an email.
AnswerID: 481025

Reply By: Member - Kevin S (QLD) - Wednesday, Mar 21, 2012 at 19:18

Wednesday, Mar 21, 2012 at 19:18
We are planning to go there this year and if $110 is the price then we will pay it. It will be a once in a life time activity so what's a few more $$$$. It is only some of the best things in life that are free.
Cheers,
Kevin
Kevin
It is important to always maintain a sense of proportion

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 481027

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, Mar 21, 2012 at 20:09

Wednesday, Mar 21, 2012 at 20:09
Hi Warrie

We have driven it 3 times, the first 2 were $40 per car, and then again a few years ago when it was $60 per car.

Fiona and I said as great as it was, we would not pay any dearer, and if the $110 come into effect, it will kill Brendon and Carmels business, no questions asked.

Perhaps that is what the Wallaby Association wants??

In that way they can on one hand say that they still approve of four wheel drives doing the track, yet deep down know that it will be the final straw that breaks the Reynolds back.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 481031

Reply By: Member - Graham N (SA) - Wednesday, Mar 21, 2012 at 23:22

Wednesday, Mar 21, 2012 at 23:22
Hi Warrie,
My neighbours drove Skytrek last week as they had heard it was closing but not once did Brenton mentioned any thing about the closure (probably too nice a gentleman to involve others).
To me it seems that there is a fair bit of politicking going on behind the scenes, the Yellow foot rock wallaby association or sporting shooters association certainly appear to have some alternative tour group or guide in mind to take over once they can establish another road into there funded by bumping up the fees to the Reynolds, I may be wrong.
One of the interesting things that happened out there was a tourist from a tour group fell from Skull Rock and the next thing there is a sign saying don't enter as it is a breeding ground for Yellow foot Rock Wallaby, I've been there many a time and there was a Barytes mine near there and have never seen a wallaby in that area not to say there isn't any.

Cheers
Graham
AnswerID: 481049

Reply By: olcoolone - Thursday, Mar 22, 2012 at 14:13

Thursday, Mar 22, 2012 at 14:13
We were on of the last groups to do the old Skytrek and the first group to do the new track...... it is a shame to old track is going to be no more.

There is a lot of politics going on between both sides and the cost for using the part of Skytrek on the "Wallaby Associations" side of the fence was ridiculous..... if they want to bring donations and awareness to the plight of the wallaby's they are going about it the wrong way.

I think it is called greed and there may be alternative motifs involved.

You have to remember there are 2 business models and 2 parties involved both looking out for their own best interests.

As for a fee of $110..... I think that's quite reasonable, where else can you go and take the whole family for 8 hours of enjoyment..... the footy for 2 hours blow $140+.... the movies try $100+ for less then a few hours.... we went to the speedway the other night and for 2 people we blew about $80 included was the $22 each entry fee.

People forget the real costs of running recreational businesses with insurance and maintenance it's not cheap.

Skytrek is like Explore Oz and some other forums.... it's a business that has to make a good return for for the investors and you have 2 options... pay the fee and enjoy and use it or become bored and sit around, do nothing and whine...... then ask your self why did they close down.

If they and I mean most places who open up their properties for us recreational users don't make money then they will close down that part of their business and go back to farming leaving us who want to go somewhere where there is not or has not been 1000's of other tourists before no where to go..... we could all sit around a caravan park fighting for our own space around the pool drinking piss.

Hell if places like this do close down then the only option is to go the highly regulated mundane safety concious attractions and sit in a line to look at something with the 1000's of other tourists.

I know what I would sooner do!
AnswerID: 481096

Follow Up By: Member - Kevin S (QLD) - Thursday, Mar 22, 2012 at 14:39

Thursday, Mar 22, 2012 at 14:39
Well said olcoolone. Exactly my sentiments.
Kevin
Kevin
It is important to always maintain a sense of proportion

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 756472

Follow Up By: Member - John G- Thursday, Mar 22, 2012 at 16:32

Thursday, Mar 22, 2012 at 16:32
G'day olcoolone

I think the cost comparison is a reasonable way to look at it - less than $20/hour + perhaps a feel-good factor in contributing something to an endangered species. But maybe the politics isn't too pretty either.

Cheers
John
FollowupID: 756489

Reply By: Chaz - Thursday, Mar 29, 2012 at 19:18

Thursday, Mar 29, 2012 at 19:18
The Yellowfooted Rock Wallaby Preservation Association has always based its lease fees on the number of vehicles that passed over the track per annum. They have car counters in place, so the numbers are accurate and the fee is based on $8 to $10 per vehicle. The lease fee only goes up when the number of vehicles increases.

On many occasions there have been vehicles found on the Conservation Reserve that were trespassing and not going over Skytrek via Willow Springs and on a few occasions, shooters that were shooting at kangaroos on the Reserve that came in from Willow Springs. Perhaps if the owners of Willow Springs were worried about the cost, they should have controlled this situation. Gates being left unlocked and locks removed isn’t the way, but some seem to think that’s ok.
AnswerID: 481775

Follow Up By: Dogcatcher - Thursday, Mar 29, 2012 at 22:46

Thursday, Mar 29, 2012 at 22:46
That seems a reasonable method of setting lease fees.
It's good to get both sides of the story.
I hope the Mt Carneavon section gets opened up again
and I will gladly pay what ever it costs.
FollowupID: 757112

Sponsored Links