Diesel heaters.

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 22, 2012 at 08:53
ThreadID: 92703 Views:4723 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I'm the new boy on the block. Never done this sort of site thing before, so bear with me. I have a 4WD Coaster (with a 6.2 l Chev diesel) and I am looking at putting a diesel heater in, but the high cost of such a small thing has put me off. I do have a gas heater but need to carry extra bottles and it takes up a bit of space.
So I read about a unit from Diesel Heating Aust for $899. Has anyone used one. How do they go or is it a case of one gets what one pays for? Any comments on any heater appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Thursday, Mar 22, 2012 at 10:40

Thursday, Mar 22, 2012 at 10:40
We've got a Webasto diesel heater and also a Webasto diesel cooktop and yes they are expensive but work well.
I've no personal experience with the "cheap" ones but there are a few that have fitted them on a motorhome forum and they seem to work well, looking at the specs and pics they would have to be a copy but would have to meet similar standards to the originals to be allowed to be fitted to vehicles.
If i was in the market for that type of unit now I guess I'd buy one rather then the more expensive units if they looked ok in the flesh.
AnswerID: 481074

Reply By: Member - Noldi (WA) - Thursday, Mar 22, 2012 at 17:54

Thursday, Mar 22, 2012 at 17:54
Gerry, we have talked about same thing. We don't like the cold so would tend to avoid the situation where we would need one. and the $1700 pays for a few hotel rooms if we get caught.
AnswerID: 481107

Reply By: skulldug - Thursday, Mar 22, 2012 at 18:57

Thursday, Mar 22, 2012 at 18:57
Gerry,

I will watch this post as I am interested in them too.

The only diesel heater I have used is a 3l TD. The further north you drive it, the warmer it gets.

Skull
AnswerID: 481111

Reply By: Ross M - Thursday, Mar 22, 2012 at 21:21

Thursday, Mar 22, 2012 at 21:21
The main difference is, the diesel Webasto burns fuel and delivers fresh warm air into the cabin space.
Nearly all gas heaters deplete the oxygen and make you deprived of the BIG "O" to some degree and should never be used in a confined space without a constant positive fresh air delivery to the cab space.
3 blokes died the other day because the gas cook top they used in the caravan did a carbon monoxide job on them while they slept.
Gas in a Bus? or GASSED IN A BUS.
Be careful and have full knowledge of what you decide to use and how you use it.
AnswerID: 481130

Follow Up By: Member - Rich - Thursday, Mar 22, 2012 at 22:46

Thursday, Mar 22, 2012 at 22:46
Ross,
The TRUMA gas heater run similar to the diesel and are supposed to be as good and as safe.

I am looking at one for my van.

Rich
FollowupID: 756529

Reply By: Member - Bucky - Friday, Mar 23, 2012 at 08:38

Reply By: rumpig - Friday, Mar 23, 2012 at 20:07

Friday, Mar 23, 2012 at 20:07
we have a Webasto diesel heater in our camper trailer and love it, it can be abit noisey for those outside though and the sound takes some getting used to inside aswell IMHO, but no worse then someone with aircon in their caravans or motorhomes. we camped at Sundown Nat. Park (near Stanthorpe) in the middle of Winter, and i was sleeping on top of my bed in shorts and a t-shirt...lol
there was a couple of threads on MySwag forum (camper trailer forum) a little while back on this very subject, so maybe join up there and do a search there for some more info.
cheers
AnswerID: 481205

Sponsored Links