LAKE EYRE

Submitted: Friday, Mar 23, 2012 at 22:31
ThreadID: 92733 Views:1647 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all

We'll be travelling south down the centre probably late July this year and we're thinking of stopping in Coober Pedy for a couple of days (been there before) and doing a day trip out to William Creek. Then taking a flight over Lake Eyre before driving back to Coober Pedy.

There are various flights available from 1 hr to 2 hrs. Has anyone done one of these flights and what were their thoughts on it?

Many thanks

John & Helen
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Lifetime Member-Heather MG NSW - Saturday, Mar 24, 2012 at 07:27

Saturday, Mar 24, 2012 at 07:27
Hi John and Helen,

When we were in Coober Pedy a few years ago, we took a flight from there over Lake Eyre and then back via a stop in William Creek. From memory it was a 3 hr flight but that would save you quite a few hours travelling time.
It is probably more expensive, although if you can find someone else to share the plane it would be cheaper....we had a third person along who helped us out.

Regards,

Heather
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 481225

Follow Up By: Lifetime Member-Heather MG NSW - Saturday, Mar 24, 2012 at 07:28

Saturday, Mar 24, 2012 at 07:28
I forgot to say that it was well worth the money...fantastic sight to see the country from the air and water in the Lake.
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 756607

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Saturday, Mar 24, 2012 at 08:29

Saturday, Mar 24, 2012 at 08:29
Hi John and Helen,

Three years ago we took a flight with Wrightsair from William Creek. We chose the 2 hour flight that takes in the southern part of the lake and the Painted Hills, and were able to get on the first (8.00am) flight to take advantage of the lower angle light.

It was a wonderful experience and thoroughly recommended. Sure it costs a bit but its a unique experience so well worth it. There are a few photos in our 2009 blog about the flight.

Cheers,

Val

J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 481227

Reply By: Member - Warrie (NSW) - Saturday, Mar 24, 2012 at 09:03

Saturday, Mar 24, 2012 at 09:03
Wrightsair have flights from William Ck. See link here .
http://www.wrightsair.com.au/
Price for 1 hour over Lake Eyre has risen from $190 3 years ago to $260 today - ouch....W
Warrie

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 481230

Reply By: Kanga1 - Saturday, Mar 24, 2012 at 16:28

Saturday, Mar 24, 2012 at 16:28
Hi John and Helen, we booked a flight in January last year for a flight in April for 4 people, 2 hour flight over the Painted Hills and Lake Eyre, confirmed the flight two more times, the latest was the day before the flight as we left Coober Pedy, when we arrived at William Creek and spoke to the very nice attractive lady at Wrightsair, she had no record of our booking or confirmations, even though I had spoken to her the previous day?? All we could get was a 1 hour flight over the Lake, very dissapointing. William Creek was very busy late April last year, and they make more money doing 1 hour flights than 2 hour flights.
That asside, Lake Eyre was well worth a look from the air, and we don't regret doing the flight at all, just questionable business practices from the lady at Wrightairs in William Creek, I should have smelled a rat when they wouldn't accept credit card payment over the phone. Cheers Kanga.
Tempus Fugit

Kanga.

AnswerID: 481272

Sponsored Links