Honda EU20i Relocation

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 24, 2012 at 12:20
ThreadID: 92743 Views:2309 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
We need to prepare our EU20i generator to be carried in a removal container. Normally the generator travels in the back of the 4WD with us and there is no problem, however the removal company insist that all petrol and oil need to be removed before transport.

The simple answer is to start the generator and run the petrol out, however the generator is very reluctant to start. I really don't want to spend an unknown time fixing the problem at the moment..

Can any experienced member help by advising the best/recommended safe procedures to empty the fuel and oil without damage?

Thanks
Dave
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member Andys Adventures - Saturday, Mar 24, 2012 at 13:50

Saturday, Mar 24, 2012 at 13:50
Hi Turist, I don't have a generator but if is like all petrol motors it would have a filter on it. Remove the filter and blow through the tank that will empty it. As for the oil their would be a place where you check the oil level undo and tilt in on its side to remove oil. After doing that put a tag on it where you start it saying NO OIL, that way you won't start it without oil. Hope this helps.
Andy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 481258

Reply By: Peter B6 - Saturday, Mar 24, 2012 at 14:16

Saturday, Mar 24, 2012 at 14:16
Hi Turist
Not only for you but for my own benefit as well I looked up the owners manual for a EU20i and they advise using a siphon pump (according to the drawing) to remove fuel from the tank. And don't forget the petrol drain screw on the carby.
AnswerID: 481261

Reply By: Rockape - Saturday, Mar 24, 2012 at 18:10

Saturday, Mar 24, 2012 at 18:10
Dave,
the reason the genset is hard to start is maybe because the fuel has been left in it and is stale. Bloody unleaded fuel.

The manual says to drain all the fuel out if you are not going to use it for a while.

As Peter has said the manual tells you how to get rid of the fuel.

RA.
AnswerID: 481282

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Mar 24, 2012 at 22:45

Saturday, Mar 24, 2012 at 22:45
RA,

Trouble is, he's already packed the owners manual..........

It's at the bottom of a tea chest, right at the back of the container, and all their possesions packed on top.

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 756665

Follow Up By: Rockape - Sunday, Mar 25, 2012 at 10:51

Sunday, Mar 25, 2012 at 10:51
Mate,
This may help.

Drain the fuel from the tank with one of those cheap fuel pumps or siphon.

Turn the engine switch on at the carby drain plug adjacent the drain tube.

With the drain screw loosened remove the spark plug cap and pull the engine over 3 or 4 times to drain the fuel from the fuel pump.

Turn the engine switch off and tighten the drain screw.

Also for long time storage.

Change engine oil.

Pull the spark plug and pour a tablespoon of oil into the cylinder. Crank the engine over several revolutions and reinstall the plug.

Pull the starter slowly until resistance is felt so the inlet and exhaust valves are shut.

Have a good one,
RA.

FollowupID: 756696

Sponsored Links