Solar Powered Extractor Fan for Genny Box

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 24, 2012 at 19:51
ThreadID: 92748 Views:2187 Replies:4 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
HI All,
We are having trouble with fumes leaking into our van from the Gennie box. It has a vent in the door but that doesnt seem to help. So I was wondering if anyone has heard of a Solar Powered extractor fan for the door, or has anyone else had this problem & fixed it?

Thankyou,
Shell
Dave & Shell
2010 Spinifex Off-Road Van
2011 Landcruiser Altitude TTD

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Saturday, Mar 24, 2012 at 19:58

Saturday, Mar 24, 2012 at 19:58
Don't know re the fan, but curious about the fumes - my gennie box is all steel and fully sealed by the van builder (its in the bottom of our wardrobe - external hatch of course) - never had a hint of fumes in the van - I recall getting an assurance from the builder that it would definitely not be a problem (and our gennie is quite 'fumie'*). Maybe Spinifex would be interested in fixing it ? How about relining all the seals with an appropriate silicon ? *a new word I think :o).
AnswerID: 481288

Follow Up By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Sunday, Mar 25, 2012 at 18:51

Sunday, Mar 25, 2012 at 18:51
In light of follow up comment - I point out that I meant to say that our box is fully sealed to the inside, while the external hatch still has a vent (of course)..... I just assume that all installations could be expected to be as fume free inside - glad you found that simply solution - a winner.
FollowupID: 756732

Reply By: GT Campers - Saturday, Mar 24, 2012 at 21:01

Saturday, Mar 24, 2012 at 21:01
Ummm...are you really considering solar power to assist your gennie?!!
AnswerID: 481292

Reply By: Member - Brian P (SA) - Saturday, Mar 24, 2012 at 22:12

Saturday, Mar 24, 2012 at 22:12
Hi Shell. Is this the type of fan your after?
Brian
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Solar-powered-Exhaust-Fan-Vent-W-Battery-Switch-Reverse-/251024012062?pt=Caravan_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a7232731e
AnswerID: 481298

Follow Up By: Member - Brian P (SA) - Saturday, Mar 24, 2012 at 22:18

Follow Up By: Member - Brian P (SA) - Saturday, Mar 24, 2012 at 22:27

Saturday, Mar 24, 2012 at 22:27
So sorry Shell I can't get the link to work. But do a search on ebay for Solar Exhaust Fan. There is a few to choose from. Brian
FollowupID: 756663

Follow Up By: Member - Shell P (W.A) - Sunday, Mar 25, 2012 at 00:13

Sunday, Mar 25, 2012 at 00:13
Thankyou Brian,
Thats exactly what we were after :)

Cheers,
Shell
Dave & Shell

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 756671

Reply By: The Bantam - Sunday, Mar 25, 2012 at 11:43

Sunday, Mar 25, 2012 at 11:43
First of all...no compartment containing liquid or gass fuel or batteries should be completly sealed...sorry point blank end story.

Alll these compartments should be adequately sealed from the interiour of the van ( fuel resistant sealers and materials) and should be well ventilated to outside air.

I am constantly gobsmacked at how many campers and caravans have this stuff in inadequatly vented compartments.

This is dangerous goods stuff.......this is why stuff burns and blows up.

People continue to underestimate what is required to house these devices safely and how much ventilation is required.

OH..BTW..have you thaught what happend if the fuel tank leaks or ruptures spilling ??litres of fuel in the compartment.
Does the compartment contain a bund, how and where does it drain.

Now to the venitlation.....you are far better off with good passive ventilation...holes and big ones..... a few slots will do bugger all ..... because the fumes are there day and night.

If you must use forced ventilation and you may well need to..the fan needs not to present a source of ignition.....so it needs to be brushless DC as a minimum or better, ignition protected or intrinsicly safe.

The fan needs to have a power source that is continuous so battery supplied.

Look in the marine shops they have a variety of bilge blowers...you wont need anything too big.

This is a very serious issue that is consistenty bady addressed or totally ignored.

As far as I am concerned the best place for a generator is in open air on the drawbar with a rigid cover, not in a compartment.

cheers
AnswerID: 481333

Follow Up By: ozjohn0 - Sunday, Mar 25, 2012 at 13:10

Sunday, Mar 25, 2012 at 13:10
I totally agree with bantam.
And another point. Why would someone need a solar powered fan for a genny that produces enough electricty when it's running to power umteen fans.?????
Am I missing something?
Ozjohn.
FollowupID: 756703

Follow Up By: Member - Shell P (W.A) - Sunday, Mar 25, 2012 at 13:19

Sunday, Mar 25, 2012 at 13:19
Hi Bantam,
Thanks for your views,
As it turns out our BBQ that used to be housed on our A-Frame fits perfectly in the Gennie compartment so now the gennie can go on the a-Frame. Perfect solution and the best part is it didnt cost us a cent:)
this is why I love these forums,
Thanks again
Shell.
Dave & Shell

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 756704

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Sunday, Mar 25, 2012 at 15:21

Sunday, Mar 25, 2012 at 15:21
All good then...now if you have a fault ya genny can piss fuel and unless someone doese something realy silly ya van wont explode.

I just cant believe the qulaity of the advice from the dealers and manufacturers.

A generator with an inbuilt fuel tank...that some time has to leak or spill in a sealed compartment.........what ya had there was an IED that any arab terorist would have been happy with.

cheers
FollowupID: 756714

Sponsored Links