2WD on Holland Track

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 25, 2012 at 11:07
ThreadID: 92763 Views:2419 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I am looking at travelling the Holland track in the next few weeks. Haven't checked on the track condition yet.
What I wanted to know was, assuming the track is dry, would a 2WD campervan make it through? I will be driving a 4WD and the 2WD wants to tag along. I can pull the 2WD through the odd soft patch but obviously we don't want to destroy the underside of the campervan.

Thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Sunday, Mar 25, 2012 at 11:31

Sunday, Mar 25, 2012 at 11:31
Never having seen it in the dry (both times we've been over there it has started raining while we were on the track and we've had to pull out at the earliest opportunity) I wouldn't like to say but some of the holes are seriously deep and even if dry would surely stop a 2wd, never mind the pinstriping it would score. Some spots it would be hard for a capmervan to straddle the ditches due to the close proximity to trees and scrub.
Locals might have more up to date info.
AnswerID: 481329

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Sunday, Mar 25, 2012 at 13:03

Sunday, Mar 25, 2012 at 13:03
When we did it we passed a couple of Charity Bash 2wd vehicles both old Falcons.

Being Bash vehicles they generally go where most 2wd's wouldn't even look at going.

As Hummvee says it can be very boggy with some deep holes and wash-aways and the rack is very narrow in places.
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 481339

Reply By: Member - Serendipity(WA) - Sunday, Mar 25, 2012 at 15:20

Sunday, Mar 25, 2012 at 15:20
At this time of year it will probably be quite dry. While most of the track is easy and like a normal track you might find anywhere there are sections that can be sandy, or deeply rutted or with jump ups. Many place do have a chicken track around but not all.

When driving a 4x4 you can forget how low normal 2wd cars are and small obstacles are easily driven over that will stop a 2wd in its tracks.

If you value the camper I would probably not take it but if you are prepared to take a lot of dents and may be some real damage underneath even with driving very carefully you can make it.

I did not go into 4x4 for the trip but high ground clearance, LSD rear diff, and 4x4 tyres make a big difference over a std campervan.

Serendipity

Image Could Not Be Found

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 481352

Reply By: marg s - Sunday, Mar 25, 2012 at 18:32

Sunday, Mar 25, 2012 at 18:32
Hi
We have just returned from the Holland Track. A 2WD will have no problems at the moment. Straddle the deep stuff & the sand is OK. You will need good tyres, lots of sticks & you may have to go around the odd tree that may be across the track. You may cratch your paint as well.Well worth the effort & plenty of good camps.

Ian
AnswerID: 481371

Reply By: Michael A5 - Sunday, Mar 25, 2012 at 19:39

Sunday, Mar 25, 2012 at 19:39
It may b more advisable to ask the authorities than risk the wrath of the law and the insurance companies.

People may try any track they like in a 2wd but what about the track getting chewed up unnecessarily. As people have also said any small chance of rain which at the moment can come at any time and you could possibly stuck and up for high towing and recovery costs.

M
AnswerID: 481377

Follow Up By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Sunday, Mar 25, 2012 at 23:52

Sunday, Mar 25, 2012 at 23:52
Absolutely. How about doing the track a big favour and keep the 2wds off it. It gets chopped up bad enough with 4wds driving in 2wd with hard tyres without adding vehicles without the choice.

FollowupID: 756763

Follow Up By: Member - Brian R (WA) - Monday, Mar 26, 2012 at 00:13

Monday, Mar 26, 2012 at 00:13
hI guys
Sorry to disappoint....I follow Paul ...Holland is a 4WD track. We have enough D... Heads in 4WD's not doing the right things ...(tyre pressure and such) a vehicle that is made for the tarmac is probably better to do just that
Brian R
FollowupID: 756765

Reply By: Member - Noldi (WA) - Monday, Mar 26, 2012 at 11:39

Monday, Mar 26, 2012 at 11:39
Would be fun if it rains, turns to glass were quickly. I would not think of it myself. but would have to say doable
AnswerID: 481426

Sponsored Links