Navara D40 vs Patrol/Cruiser

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 25, 2012 at 17:07
ThreadID: 92769 Views:5360 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Everyone,

I need some advice.
We currently have 2010 Nissan Navara D40, we have put a canopy, bullbar, driving lights since purchase.
We are looking at putting the following on as well: suspension, canopy roof racks, drawer system, long range fuel tank, tyres, chip & exhaust
The question is, do we spend another 12K on the Navara or bite the bullet and get a Patrol/cruiser??
We do normally tow a Jayco Flamingo for holidays, but we are doing central Australia trip later (includes the Simpson desert & not towing a trailer) in the year so we want to get the car ready for that trip & for future 4wd trips.
We went into Nissan today the sales dude said the Navara has more power then the Patrol (that left me speechless)
We find the Navara a bit sluggish off the line when towing our Flamingo
Any thoughts or comments are much appreciated in advance
Happy 4 wheeling!!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Tony H (touring oz) - Sunday, Mar 25, 2012 at 17:24

Sunday, Mar 25, 2012 at 17:24
Hi Greg,
I may be biased.... but it is a no brainer...... cruiser for sure
Insanity doesnt run in my family.... it gallops!

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 481366

Reply By: Member - Chris & Debbie (QLD) - Sunday, Mar 25, 2012 at 19:18

Sunday, Mar 25, 2012 at 19:18
Hi Greg
Having had a fully decked out D40 sold for an 80series cruiser and now 4.2 Patrol ute it all comes down to what suits your requirements. The D40 is a capable vehicle and can take most what you can throw at it, we even dragged our camper around the Simpson without any problems.
As we mainly travel solo, we went the 80series to do more remote travel due to the ease of repair if a problem is encounted.
We found that the wagon was not really suited to our purpose so went the ute with a canopy. This has proved to be the perfect set up for us in flexabiliy, reliabillity and ease of repair/maintenance.
So for me, if the D40 suits you, stick with it, plus unless you purchase a decked out cruiser or patrol you will still need to spend most that is on your want list anyway.
Chris
Coddiwomple (v.) To travel purposefully towards a vague destination.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message
Classifieds: Codan Envoy HF Radio X1 for sale

AnswerID: 481376

Reply By: Patrol22 - Sunday, Mar 25, 2012 at 19:47

Sunday, Mar 25, 2012 at 19:47
I too run a D40 fully decked out and have done a west to east crossing including the remoteness of the Telfer, Gary and Gunbarrel highways, the GCR and the Simpson. Will be heading to Cape York in a couple of months as well. I've had it lifted, rear air locker, 160 ltr long range tank, underbelly bash plates, ORS drawer system with 70 ltr water tank and 2x110ah aux batteries....arb canopy and a bunch of other goodies. Works for me and has plenty of go. I tow a 1.5 tonne kanga offroad camper. like others say.....whatever works for you is the best set up.
AnswerID: 481379

Reply By: Greg H8 - Sunday, Mar 25, 2012 at 21:16

Sunday, Mar 25, 2012 at 21:16
Cheers for all the replys.
I think you have answerd our question, lets just upgrade with what we've got.

Looks like "Neville" (the kids name for the Nav) is here to stay.

Thanks again
AnswerID: 481387

Follow Up By: Member - Chris & Debbie (QLD) - Monday, Mar 26, 2012 at 12:34

Monday, Mar 26, 2012 at 12:34
Just a follow up Greg, I fitted a 'Long Ranger' tank to my D40 and unless they have changed the way they mount them I would not recommend fitting one. They use steel bands that wrap underneath and if you happen to drag the tank then the straps catch on the ground, mine ended up badly bent and was worried they would be ripped off. I have noticed that other brands mount them differently so this is not a problem.
Coddiwomple (v.) To travel purposefully towards a vague destination.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message
Classifieds: Codan Envoy HF Radio X1 for sale

FollowupID: 756788

Reply By: olcoolone - Monday, Mar 26, 2012 at 10:51

Monday, Mar 26, 2012 at 10:51
The 2.5 litre engine in the Navara is a small engine to lug weight.... you have to work it harder.
AnswerID: 481422

Sponsored Links