Bush Bay

Submitted: Monday, Mar 26, 2012 at 10:52
ThreadID: 92785 Views:1308 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Looking at going to Bush Bay on the way up to Exmouth. Is it a good place to stop for the night? Any suggestions if not.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Warrie (NSW) - Monday, Mar 26, 2012 at 14:23

Monday, Mar 26, 2012 at 14:23
Hmmm, that would be the same ultra windy Bush Bay we stayed at in '05. Get in early and find a spot in the bushes 200m back from the water. The wind howled all night...............W
Warrie

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 481437

Reply By: Member - MIKE.G - Monday, Mar 26, 2012 at 14:53

Monday, Mar 26, 2012 at 14:53
Hi Merredith. We went in a couple of years ago. Open flat windy country with lots of sand flies. A lot of permanents camped - no facilities. Moved on. Not much else about the area.
Would recommend Hamelin Station on the way up (NOT Hamelin Pool CP) approx 27klm east of Overlander Roadhouse on the Denham road. Some of the best facilities we have seen plus use of a full kitchen and dining room. Will have a "tent sign" on the road but do take campers and vans. Limited power.
Safe travels.

Cheers,

Mike
AnswerID: 481438

Reply By: ExplorOz - Monday, Mar 26, 2012 at 20:32

Monday, Mar 26, 2012 at 20:32
Hi Merideth,
I'm pretty sure that's the spot we've camped at on our way home from Ningaloo - its a great spot off the road. Here's the GPS reference page etc in our Places section Link to Bush Bay in ExplorOz Places and I'm just going to go back through my photos to check if that's it - I'm sure it is, and I'll post up some more pics for you and read over my notes from our stop there.

Regards,
Michelle

ExplorOz

Business Member
My Profile  My Blog

AnswerID: 481465

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - Monday, Mar 26, 2012 at 20:50

Monday, Mar 26, 2012 at 20:50
Ok, so I've just gone and uploaded my photos of Bush Bay camping area from our 2006 (is it really that long ago) into the Places page so take that link above to see them. It's a very pretty place when the tide is up - very bland when its out as you'll see. We took a bit of a look around - its quite a long way off the main road so deters many people which is good. And there's not much there but very under-stated. Those that were there wanted it kept a bit of a secret I think. The fishing might be good if you had a tinny. There are fishing signs and fish cleaning stations - it really caters for that type of fishing/camper so is ideal for a stopover. Pretty sunsets, as camps are right on the edge of the bay. Low lying area though and very exposed so watch any inclement weather. Dirt road all the way in - see map in Places for waypoint where campsite area is at end of entrance road. Cheap and cheerful, what more can I say?

Michelle

ExplorOz

Business Member
My Profile  My Blog

FollowupID: 756836

Reply By: TrevorDavid- Monday, Mar 26, 2012 at 20:56

Monday, Mar 26, 2012 at 20:56
Merredith D

Bush Bay is a nice spot but very open,no cost no shade no shelter at all.
Bout 100ks before this is Gladstone worth a look,no cost ( this time of year ) no shade but a little bit of shelter.
If you have not been to the blow holes suggest you go there, bout a 100k round trip detour but well worth a visit, 5 bucks a night ??

TDB
dontyajustluvit

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 481471

Follow Up By: Member - Merredith D - Tuesday, Mar 27, 2012 at 00:09

Tuesday, Mar 27, 2012 at 00:09
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Great photos Michelle. We only plan to stop over one night on our way to Ningaloo so I think we'll give it a go.
FollowupID: 756860

Reply By: ExplorOz - Tuesday, Mar 27, 2012 at 10:53

Tuesday, Mar 27, 2012 at 10:53
Yeah, I'd rate Gladstone and Bush Bay about the same for a one night stop over - so really depends on how you're travelling - always good to know what options you've got ahead. Enjoy. Are you heading up over Easter (and is that you Mez?)

MM

ExplorOz

Business Member
My Profile  My Blog

AnswerID: 481515

Sponsored Links