How do I rectify Winch Gear Corrosion??

Submitted: Monday, Mar 26, 2012 at 12:01
ThreadID: 92786 Views:2146 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hope someone can assist with my Winch dilemma......

I have a Warn XP9.5 Winch on my Patrol mounted to an ARB BullBar. Recently the leaver that releases the gears to ‘free-spool’ has become jammed and as such, I can’t free-spool the winch. The winch is still able to be powered in and out. I have pulled the unit apart on the side of the free-spool lever, and noticed that a number of the internal gears are corroded , most likely due to water ingress at some point in time.

What would be the best way of cleaning up this corrosion without damaging the unit/gears (e.g. sandpaper, wirebrush, chemicals)? Also, is there a specific grease that I should use when re-installing it? I will also need to source a new gasket for the unit, so can anyone recommend where I can get one (preferably online, so they can send it to me)? I am located in SE Melbourne
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mr Pointyhead - Monday, Mar 26, 2012 at 13:31

Monday, Mar 26, 2012 at 13:31
Be warned when mounting Warn winches "feet forward" like you do in ARB bull bars. You normally rotate the gearbox so that you can easily access the gearbox controller. But you also need to modify the water drain point from the winch, pluging up the standard drain hole which is no longer at the lowest point of the winch and opening up a drain hole at the lowest point.

If this is not done by the install the winch will not drain correctly, leading to corrision in the gearbox and motor like you are seeing.

So this is not really an answer to your question, but it is something you need to check.

AnswerID: 481431

Follow Up By: Patrol GU VI - Monday, Mar 26, 2012 at 13:37

Monday, Mar 26, 2012 at 13:37
Hi Mr PointyHead,

I had read this previously somewhere else, and checked my unit when I had it pulled apart, but couldn't locate the drain holes. From reading the article I found before again, I got the impression that it was the motor side that had the drain holes. The section that I had pulled apart was the other side where the Free-Spool lever is. Do both covers have drain holes in them (i.e. am I blind??)?
FollowupID: 756801

Reply By: Member - John - Monday, Mar 26, 2012 at 13:48

Monday, Mar 26, 2012 at 13:48
G'day, Greg Smith at Smithies Outback Gear in Cranbourne 59954325, should be able to help you out with advice and the gasket.

John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 481435

Sponsored Links