mereenie loop road

Hello,

Did a search on the loop road looking for some road conditions. I'm about to call the resort there asking about road conditions.

Has anyone driven it very recently with an updated report? Didn't see any reports on NT road pages.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen - Monday, Mar 26, 2012 at 17:00

Monday, Mar 26, 2012 at 17:00
Hi Gordon

Unless you follow the grader, it soon reverts back to being a normal corrugated Central Australian road. Depending on your rig, it is worth the drive. The tourist centre in Alice Springs seem to say "don't take it" regardless of condition or rig.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 481447

Follow Up By: gordon_adel - Monday, Mar 26, 2012 at 18:48

Monday, Mar 26, 2012 at 18:48
thanks.
FollowupID: 756821

Reply By: Ross M - Monday, Mar 26, 2012 at 19:27

Monday, Mar 26, 2012 at 19:27
I have driven the Mereenie but not recently and recent info will most likely be the same as many reports. As mentioned, unless you are able to travel around grader time it will be corrugated and you will have to travel slower and lower your tyre pressures accordingly. Graded conditions never extend to the whole of the track at any one time.

If towing also lower the trailer tyre pressures as many setups don't absorb road shock as well as vehicle suspensions do, so with less than ideal suspensions which many trailers and alleged "Offroad or Outback" caravans and campervans have, this is necessary to avoid axle failure and chassis cracking, sometimes catastophic.

You have to continually think about your tyres and pressures for the travelling conditions. If you don't train yourself to do this automatically then problems may arise.
AnswerID: 481457

Follow Up By: gordon_adel - Monday, Mar 26, 2012 at 21:29

Monday, Mar 26, 2012 at 21:29
I tow a pod trailer packed with all my gear. knock on wood, very happy with it so far.
FollowupID: 756838

Sponsored Links