online free or roadside camping guodes

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 28, 2012 at 08:34
ThreadID: 92833 Views:2063 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

Hi

Just wondering if anyone knows of a website that provides a comprehensive listing of roadside or "free" camping areas. i know of the Camps Australia books etc and a google search comes up with some state govt sites that list a few roadside stops but no one seems to have joined the dots or am I not looking in the right place? If this has not happened, then seems like a good business opportunity for a IT savvy outback traveller as carrying a heap of books is a pain and they will get out of date very quickly anyway.

Any suggestions welcome
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ChrisK - Wednesday, Mar 28, 2012 at 08:38

Wednesday, Mar 28, 2012 at 08:38
Have alook here - OZ Camps
AnswerID: 481577

Reply By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Wednesday, Mar 28, 2012 at 08:40

Wednesday, Mar 28, 2012 at 08:40
OE,

Look in ExplorOz's places and search for "Camp Free" Areas and also "Camp Fee" Areas.

You can also add to the list as you find them as well :)

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 481578

Reply By: Member - Sonshine - Wednesday, Mar 28, 2012 at 09:14

Wednesday, Mar 28, 2012 at 09:14
I believe Camps Australia are looking at a Smartphone app to access their information, to save carrying those books about.

They could probably still sell at close to their current price, and save on costs of publication and distribution etc, as well as maintaing currency. Bit of a no-brainer really, else they will go the way of Encyclopaedia Britannica ;)

I suggested it to them, and they said they were looking into it.

Gaz
AnswerID: 481584

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Wednesday, Mar 28, 2012 at 12:18

Wednesday, Mar 28, 2012 at 12:18
Gaz,
We are also working on one - using the places system data as it actually has more sites listed than any current publication. I just wish it was easy to make these apps but I am sure it will come.
David
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 756950

Reply By: mick b5 - Wednesday, Mar 28, 2012 at 12:20

Wednesday, Mar 28, 2012 at 12:20
HI-Fellows Travellers--I & wife have been traveling this beautiful country of ours for some 12 years now and have lots of books & mud maps on the best places to stay--TRUE-- but I also found 6 times as many places by looking out as you are travelling to stay over night or a few days --might mean to make camp early one day but I think its worth it --HAPPY TRAVELLING. MICK. P.S. there are no coogiebats out.
AnswerID: 481606

Sponsored Links