Comment: The ANZAC Legacy

I have served a few years in the Army and was deployed Overseas to East Timor in very early 2000, the interaction we had with other Countries Armed Forces were second to none. The usual ANZAC interaction with the Kiwis was always a highlight and if I had the chance I would still be there.
I loved my time in the Army, and always look forward to ANZAC day to see mates that I hadn't spoken to since the previous ANZAC day. It is great to be able to pick up from where we left the conversation 12 months prior and continue on as if not a day had passed.
This last 12 months quite a number of Aussie Diggers were killed in combat, some of those I knew from my time in the Army.
RIP Boys the world is a better place due to your commitment to the effort towards protecting the less fortunate.
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Fred G NSW - Wednesday, Mar 28, 2012 at 20:16

Wednesday, Mar 28, 2012 at 20:16
G'day Kev. Long time (too long) no see or hear on EO mate.

There are so many members and visitors here on EO who echo your thoughts, and have been there and done that. I extend to them all, our heartful thanks and gratitude, for ensuring we, and our childrens future children, may enjoy what we have enjoyed, and continue to enjoy, from this great land.

Sadly each 25th April we must now face up to the realisation that our numbers turning out will dwindle, just like our Anzacs. Doesn't seem right after only 50 years, does it :-( Too many of my mates left us aged in their 50's and 60's.
A lot of our members here are former ADF personell who now contribute to this wonderful web site, and we continue to look forward to their contributions.

AnswerID: 481657

Reply By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Saturday, Apr 07, 2012 at 19:17

Saturday, Apr 07, 2012 at 19:17
On this day 7 April 1967 Major P. J. Badcoe of the Australian Army Training Team Vietnam was awarded the Victoria Cross posthumously for a series of actions in South Vietnam between February and April 1967.

Major P. J. Badcoe VC repeatedly performed extraordinary feats under fire before eventually being killed by a burst of machine gun fire when rising to throw a grenade.

Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 482481

Reply By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Saturday, Apr 07, 2012 at 19:20

Saturday, Apr 07, 2012 at 19:20
On this day 7 April 1916 Australian troops first reached the Western Front during World War I.

Australian units from the 2nd Division were introduced to fighting on the Western Front in what was called the 'nursery sector' in the relatively quiet area around Armentieres, France.

Unfortunately, this peace and quiet would not last for very long.

Russell Coight:

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 482482

Sponsored Links