Free camps on the Nullabor

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 28, 2012 at 20:08
ThreadID: 92851 Views:2499 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi anyone,
Will be travelling from Perth to Melbourne in early April. Does anyone know of some good Free Camp sites over the Nullarbor. Have the Free Camps book for SW WA and Camps 5, but if anyone has any recommendations I would love to hear from you
Cheers
Don
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: rooster350 - Wednesday, Mar 28, 2012 at 20:33

Wednesday, Mar 28, 2012 at 20:33
The sites in the CAW book are just about what is available and nearly all of them are O.K......just work out how far you intend to drive in a day and pick one that is nearby and another that you can use if you do not like the first....cheers Have done the trip 3 times now and never had any trouble getting a reasonable camp site.
AnswerID: 481663

Follow Up By: dond1947 - Wednesday, Mar 28, 2012 at 21:00

Wednesday, Mar 28, 2012 at 21:00
Thanks Rooster350,
Have been studying the book intently. We used it extensively on a recent trip to the Kimberly along with the Free Camps book. Found lots of really nice spots. The best were generally fairly crowded but we kept an eye on the road for a track leading off the road & had some fantastic evenings all on our own with just the stars and some of the best picture postcard views you yould wish for.

We are restricted this trip as we moved from an off road camper trailer to a 17.5' poptop van. Will sort of restrict the desire to take an overgrown track off the side of a road but really looking forward to the adventure of the Nullabor.
Thanks again
Don
FollowupID: 757002

Reply By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Mar 28, 2012 at 20:47

Wednesday, Mar 28, 2012 at 20:47
Hi Don

The Dundas Shire which covers a huge are to the border from Norseman is very understanding about bush camping ans there are lots of opportunities. Good spots well away from the road should be listed in Camps 5, otherwise investigate bush tracks or look for old gravel pits. We found a good disused gravel storage area one year tucked well into the bush - but by the next year they had blocked off all access.

You can stop practically anywhere along the Eyre Highway east of Mundrabilla. Prior to that for some way station fences can be a bit limiting, however some of the rest areas are big and go well back from the road. Camps 5 should find the best rest areas. The 24 hour ones have a pit toilet and can get crowded. Not needing this we try to choose other rest areas with less campers and more room to hide amongst the trees.

Once in SA, you can camp near (but please, not too near) the cliffs. Most of the viewing areas have been closed for safety reasons, but there are tracks separate to these, however cliff side can be windy. We prefer to go away from the highway on the north side for a peaceful night, particularly where we can hide behind bushes. We have a favourite, but i do not put it on open forum.

Penong (west of Ceduna) caravan park is lovely and was a pleasant surprise to us. We used to pay for a shower at a Ceduna servo then bush camp, but Penong CP was so nice. With free washing machines (recently reported one is now a pay washing machine) and purchasing fuel cheaper at Penong (as we felt obliged to purchase fuel at Ceduna when we showered there), we could camp further away from the highway than we usually got in the bush and very nice clean facilities. Considering the difference in fuel price and not paying for showers, plus free laundry, our unpowered site at Penong cost us nothing more. We were travelling east to west on our way home.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 481667

Follow Up By: dond1947 - Wednesday, Mar 28, 2012 at 21:05

Wednesday, Mar 28, 2012 at 21:05
HI Motherhen
Many thanks for your suggestions. We had worked out that we would probably stay near Ceduna on the way over so will look up the Ceduna CP.

Just saying to Rooster350 that we now have a 17.5' poptop so for this first trip in the van will probably be very careful about what we attempt. On the leadup to retirement so after this one we have another of around 8-9 weeks in November this year then to the retirement farm on the highway (Hopefully)

Thanks again
Don
FollowupID: 757003

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Mar 28, 2012 at 21:26

Wednesday, Mar 28, 2012 at 21:26
Hi Don - CP at Penong, not Ceduna.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 757007

Reply By: Member - MIKE.G - Wednesday, Mar 28, 2012 at 20:56

Wednesday, Mar 28, 2012 at 20:56
Hi Don. Try Newman Rocks on the way east (GPS 32.07.16 S 123.09.87 E) on the northern side of the H/W 130klm of Norsenam if it fits your plans. A great spot off the H/W and plenty of water.

Cheers,

Mike
AnswerID: 481670

Follow Up By: dond1947 - Wednesday, Mar 28, 2012 at 21:21

Wednesday, Mar 28, 2012 at 21:21
Hi Mike,
Probably fit reasonably closely with our distances so we may give it a try
Cheers
Don
FollowupID: 757006

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Mar 28, 2012 at 21:28

Wednesday, Mar 28, 2012 at 21:28
Hi Mike - what is the track in like? Bearing in mind Don's reservations about bush tracks with his rig. It sounds lovely, but we have not driven into the unknown.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 757009

Reply By: Member - John and Lynne - Thursday, Mar 29, 2012 at 09:04

Thursday, Mar 29, 2012 at 09:04
As you drive check in CAW and just look out for a rest area with some trees then just follow the tracks in until you are a reasonable distance from the highway and crowds. There will be plenty of people along that route at that time so you will probably never be very far from someone else but you should find a lovely quiet spot with no trouble. Stop early before the roos and get your pick of spots. You will have no trouble getting your van along the tracks behind rest areas. It is a great trip so take your time. Lynne
AnswerID: 481708

Sponsored Links