book

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 28, 2012 at 20:29
ThreadID: 92854 Views:1446 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
has anybody read the book ,cape york, the savage frontier by rodney liddell,pages on somerset,ship wrecks,cannibals,etc very interesting,any comments please ,bye barry
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, Mar 28, 2012 at 21:06

Wednesday, Mar 28, 2012 at 21:06
Hi Barry

I have not read that book, but one that I have and had the effect that you could not put it down was the book "Too Many Spears" by Peter Pinney and Estelle Runck.

It follows the first white person to set up the outpost at Somerset at the tip of the Cape, Frank Jardine who was the Government Resident and Police Magistrate.

If you can get hold of it is a great read.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 481672

Reply By: Member - Roger B (VIC) - Wednesday, Mar 28, 2012 at 21:32

Wednesday, Mar 28, 2012 at 21:32
G'day Barry.Read his book a few years ago, and met Rodney at Groper Ck. when he was visiting friends who were camped near us. Interesting book, and an interesting man to talk to. Cheers.

Roger B...
AnswerID: 481677

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Wednesday, Mar 28, 2012 at 21:34

Wednesday, Mar 28, 2012 at 21:34
Yes and its in my hands now. I bought it from Rodney in 1998 and he has signed and autographed it for me. We met him in Weipa just perchance!
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 481678

Reply By: Robin Miller - Thursday, Mar 29, 2012 at 16:55

Thursday, Mar 29, 2012 at 16:55
Have it here and its worth reading Barry - it describes how various indeginous groups migrated to Australia and carried wars of extermination against other locals , and goes into various shipwrecks and other unsavory incidents - quite an eye opener really.

Throws a different light onto the early colonization of this country.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 481752

Reply By: Lifetime Member-Heather MG NSW - Thursday, Mar 29, 2012 at 18:02

Thursday, Mar 29, 2012 at 18:02
Hi Barry,

I haven't read that particular book but have recently read the diary of Ludwig Leichhardt (his Overland Expedition to Gulf country), and 'Australia Twice Traversed' by Ernest Giles. They were particulary interesting.

Have also read 'The Dig Tree' by Sarah Murgatroyd...a fantastic read! and 'Where is Here? 350 years of Exploring Australia' By Tim Flannery.
Ciurrently planning a trip out to some of the Country explored by Burke and Wills....if it is dry enough later in the Winter.

Still to read Sturts and William Landsboroughs journals but it has re-ignited my appetite for early European exploration of this wonderful Country.

I have them all on my Kindle e reader so can take them with us and re read bits when we are on the road.

In addition I ordered some books from the EO Shop yesterday also on Australian exploration and look forward to receiving them soon....

Regards,

Heather
Heather
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 481760

Sponsored Links