great bear tent

Submitted: Friday, Mar 30, 2012 at 20:41
ThreadID: 92910 Views:14301 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
hi all, i am a newbie to posting a thread but you have all provided me with invaluable info over the years....thankyou!! I am now after a tent that will withstand rain and wind, thats easy enough for my teenage daughters to put up, 4 man, thats no more than $150, ive seen one called great bear 4380 on ebay but cant find any reviews on it, was wondering if anyone has had any experience with them?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: GT Campers - Sunday, Apr 01, 2012 at 10:30

Sunday, Apr 01, 2012 at 10:30
In the Good Old days, people went to camping stores and looked at tents...

Seriously, why not go to a proper camping shop and have a look? Not sure where you are, but near me there are two good ones and both are staffed by proper outdoors enthusiasts with lots of knowledge
AnswerID: 482050

Reply By: obeez4 - Sunday, Apr 01, 2012 at 11:07

Sunday, Apr 01, 2012 at 11:07
I am in Perth W.A, we have BCF & Rays not too far away, i have bought tents from these places before and the staff dont really know how they perform under a bit of pressure, if we spent a few hundred dollars and bought a black wolf or simular we'd probably be safe but i dont want to spend that much, imo the best knowledge you can get is from listening to people who use the products, great bear is obviously a unknown, I will visit Anaconda, i havnt seen there tents yet.
AnswerID: 482058

Reply By: lori - Sunday, Apr 01, 2012 at 11:48

Sunday, Apr 01, 2012 at 11:48
We had a tent that set up similar to this one and it was truly terrible.

The poles that slotted into the pins were badly setup and almost took our fingers off every time we setup.

The inner sleeping sections are simple to setup but because of the way it attached was easy to overstretch and break.

The sleeping sections were very steep near the outer which meant that you couldnt even put a double air matress in without it pushing aginst the side and up aginst the fly (because of this the water leaked through the contact points all the time) - this was possibly the worst issue we had.

Because the centre area was not a bucket design, but part a seperate tarp like floor it was not even close to weather proof (if it rained water came in freely) we could not store anything in that section.

It was also very difficult to setup, of the four tents we have - that one was the worst.

Also, that is a rather heavy tent for what you get.

I recently bought a blackwolf 4V for our 11yr old daughter and she can set it up easily. We got it from Kangaroo Tent City. I know they have an online store and do post, though I wouldnt like to pay for postage from NSW to Perth!

Goodluck on the tent search, in my experience with that style of tent I would have to say keep looking this one has too many design flaws.
AnswerID: 482064

Follow Up By: lori - Sunday, Apr 01, 2012 at 11:53

Sunday, Apr 01, 2012 at 11:53
Forgot to mention that it didnt have much in the way of air flow so it always felt muggy and had condensation problems.
FollowupID: 757349

Follow Up By: obeez4 - Sunday, Apr 01, 2012 at 12:06

Sunday, Apr 01, 2012 at 12:06
thanks for that info Lori, I will keep looking, may get a good deal on blackwolf somewhere...
happy camping.
FollowupID: 757351

Follow Up By: Member - G.T. - Tuesday, Apr 03, 2012 at 12:44

Tuesday, Apr 03, 2012 at 12:44
Yes! A Black Wolf or one with a similar quality of construction is the way to go.
Cheaper tents usually show their faults after use. Regards G.T.
( Black Wolf Turbo Lite 270 owner)
FollowupID: 757486

Follow Up By: obeez4 - Tuesday, Apr 03, 2012 at 15:57

Tuesday, Apr 03, 2012 at 15:57
thankyou both, bcf had blackwolf on special but none on display, will go to rays and annaconda, they may have better displays. thanks for your help, have a great easter.
FollowupID: 757491

Reply By: AlbyNSW - Tuesday, Apr 03, 2012 at 18:30

Tuesday, Apr 03, 2012 at 18:30
I am not familiar with the particular tent on eBay but I have found the cheap Coleman two bow tents to be ok. If your teenagers are anything like mine it is not worth spending much on the tent as they don't look after them anyway so I bank on just having to replace them often.
Which as a side note there is a set of tent poles left behind last season in the Simpson Desert about 15k east of Poeppels Corner care of my teenage son......sigh!
Luckily I anticipated such an incident and carried a third tent with us in anticipation.
When buying dome tents I look for ones with the thicker poles as they stand up to the wind better
AnswerID: 482256

Follow Up By: obeez4 - Thursday, Apr 05, 2012 at 00:41

Thursday, Apr 05, 2012 at 00:41
thanks for that alby, lol teenagers ay? they must be all the same, i havnt seen the coleman ones at all, i will have to look out for them, i will now also check the pole thickness, i dont want to spend too much either, my eldest is 18 youngest 15, they will probably be wanting to borrow it to go with their friends instead of us soon :(
FollowupID: 757593

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Thursday, Apr 05, 2012 at 06:10

Thursday, Apr 05, 2012 at 06:10
That's an interesting design, at first I didn't realise the open part was a large vestibule, with the 2 sleeping areas off at tangents.

It looks like the angled wall would be restrictive for at least the outside person.

At the moment, I'm looking for a new tent to replace a good old 4 man dome, that has served us well and numerous trips, but want a little more room now.

Have thought tourers would be the best option, but they are so heavy, and take up a huge amount of space packed up.

When looking at a couple of apparently good ones, I did come across this 6 person dome . . . http://www.outdoorconnection.com.au/tents/1room-dome-tents/escape-6-dome-tent.html and http://www.kellyscamping.com.au/p/4470733/Outdoor-Connection-Escape-person-tent-with-vestible.html?utm_source=myshopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Camping+and+Outdoor&utm_term=Outdoor+Connection+Escape+6+person+tent+with+vestible is another just found at one of their online retailers.

A much more manageable 15kg package, 1.9m height, probably decent 1.8m or so usable inside, great ventilation, has poles to use veranda as awning, and looks like large vestibule with excellent weather protection . . . I am thinking of this, and add some velcroed triangle ripsptop nylon sections to each side of the poled out awning to provide more wind driven rain pro from the sides.

Cheers,
Les
AnswerID: 482350

Sponsored Links