Buntine Hwy - Duncan Rd

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 31, 2012 at 10:48
ThreadID: 92919 Views:2044 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all

We will be travelling via the Great Central Road to Kununurra in June. We were wondering if the Buntine Highway & Duncan Road would be a viable & worthwhile alternative to the Tanami Road.
Any input will be gratefully received.

Thanks, Jamie

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Saturday, Mar 31, 2012 at 12:35

Saturday, Mar 31, 2012 at 12:35
Jamie, I am totally confused re your proposed route.
Where are you coming from?
I find it difficult to imagine using the Great Central Road to get to Kununurra from anywhere and the Buntine seems to be going in the wrong direction for you too?

Cheers,
Peter
AnswerID: 481968

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Saturday, Mar 31, 2012 at 13:48

Saturday, Mar 31, 2012 at 13:48
Hi Jamie,

Im also confused about what you want to do but this thread here might be of some help.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 481974

Reply By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Saturday, Mar 31, 2012 at 17:05

Saturday, Mar 31, 2012 at 17:05
Hi Jamie O, Not sure where you want to get onto the Buntine H'way from however when we left Birdsville (when it was flooded) we had to go North to get home which meant via Kununurra, we had to go via Mt Isa. We cut through on the Buchanan H'Way to Top Springs and from there took the Buntine H'Way and finished up on the Victoria H'Way at Willeroo Road House and then onto Timber Creek andKununurra. If you are just going to go GCR then to Stuart H'Way then the Buchanan goes off of there just North of Dunmarra Roadhouse. As for the Duncan Rd, I can't comment on that one as we haven't travelled it.
Now is it better than the Tanami, well depends on what you are looking for, road wise definitely a better road than when we covered the Tanami. The Tanami I feel is better re scenery if you want the 'outback' but the WA half of the road was atrocious when we travelled it about 4 years ago, not sure if it has changed, if not it can only be worse than when we transversed it.
Hope that helps just a tad.
Cheers
Deanna

Simba, our much missed baby.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 481983

Follow Up By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Saturday, Mar 31, 2012 at 17:09

Saturday, Mar 31, 2012 at 17:09
Arrh for an edit button LOL....meant to say the Buchanan and Buntine H'Ways are much better than the Tanami due to the condition of that road on the WA side.

Cheers

D

Simba, our much missed baby.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 757273

Reply By: Member - Jamie O (WA) - Saturday, Mar 31, 2012 at 17:34

Saturday, Mar 31, 2012 at 17:34
Sorry for the confusion Peter_n_Margaret / John and Val.

We will be leaving Dunsborough WA tavelling via Kalgoorlie and Laverton to join the GCR & on to Alice.
From there we can either head across the Tanami Road or up the Stuart Hwy to Dunmurra and across the Buchanan & Buntine Hwys then head north to Kununurra on the Duncan Rd.
We will be heading home back down the coast & don't wish to travel the same road each way.

Thanks, Jamie

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 481986

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Saturday, Mar 31, 2012 at 18:12

Saturday, Mar 31, 2012 at 18:12
Ah now it makes sense! The Tanami would probably be the quickest/shortest route but the Buchanan option may be more interesting. You then have the option of following the Buchanan all the way through to the Victoria H'way - drove the eastern end of it 4 years ago and its a good road. The Duncan Road is also good though the western end of the Buntine hway was corrugated when we drove it. Have a look at our blogs from 2008.

It really depends on what distance you want to travel to get to Kununurra.

Cheers,

Val.
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 757282

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Sunday, Apr 01, 2012 at 10:35

Sunday, Apr 01, 2012 at 10:35
What John & Val said....
The Gary Junction Road is also a great route west from Alice to Marble Bar then north via Shay Gap to the highway.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
FollowupID: 757344

Reply By: Member - Jamie O (WA) - Sunday, Apr 01, 2012 at 12:55

Sunday, Apr 01, 2012 at 12:55
Thanks all ...... glad I've still got 10 weeks before a decision has to be made

Jamie

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 482067

Sponsored Links