cape york 2012

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 31, 2012 at 21:18
ThreadID: 92928 Views:1983 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
hi guys/girls ,wow im lookin foward to a trip up to capeyork this year but having a little trouble finding a winch ....a few good makes and models would be handy to get a hold of. ANY IDEAS
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Sunday, Apr 01, 2012 at 09:09

Sunday, Apr 01, 2012 at 09:09
There's a good range here

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 482036

Reply By: Member - Josh- Sunday, Apr 01, 2012 at 10:07

Sunday, Apr 01, 2012 at 10:07
Hi Bigonion,
Firstly have you tried doing a search on here, I just typed in winches to the search box and found heaps of posts with all the info you probably need. That may be why so few responses.
A bit more info might help get more responses too. What vehicle are you putting it on, towing a van/trailer or not. Total weight?? Where are you planning on going?? How often do you plan on using it.
The main brands are Warn, Ironman, TJM. There is also the cheaper models, Repco, Supercheap, ect..
We had a Repco winch on our 80 series when we did our trip and it copped a floggin and was great. Never had any trouble with it. Most winches fail from poor maintainance.
Maybe do a search and narrow it down to a couple of winches you think will suit your needs then repost and ask peoples opions on those couple of winches rather than expect people to do all the research for you. I'm not having ago at you, I just know people on here find it frustrating when people ask questions with no apparent effort made to find the info them selves or not really enough info to make an accurate reply.
I could reccomend a 9,500 repco winch but if your driving a hummer and towing a 40 ft offroad van and plan on pulling both out of a deep bog, it ain't gunna work. It's not a reflection on the winch just the situation.
Hope this helps.

Josh
AnswerID: 482044

Reply By: PJR (NSW) - Sunday, Apr 01, 2012 at 10:36

Sunday, Apr 01, 2012 at 10:36
Just a bit more info needed.

What are you driving? Are you towing and if so what? Do you want to drive the Frenchmans, OTL and/or the Starckie or stick to more "made" roads?

You may not need a winch. We didn't need one for our own use. Nor did our two sons. In fact we have never used ours to extract ourselves. Just others. Seems like a lot of money for others mistakes/misfortunes.

PJ
AnswerID: 482052

Reply By: Crackles - Sunday, Apr 01, 2012 at 11:28

Sunday, Apr 01, 2012 at 11:28
"ANY IDEAS"
To start with next time onion as a suggestion when you put a post up looking for information on winches it's far better to at least include the word 'Winch' in the heading so people with that experience are in a position to respond.
Next if you could add a bit more detail with where you intend to go, what vehicle you have, are you towing, planned dates & what future winching requirements you may have then you'll get an accurate response for your needs rather than a heap of people recomending what they own.
It's quite possible you may not even require a winch for the Cape anyway particually if following the key tourists routes during the main touring season. There is a perception that the trip is really difficult when it's really only a long rough road with less than 2 KMs where 4 wheel drive needs to be engaged. As a guide my dad drove the OTT solo with very little previous experience in a stock Cruiser & didn't take a winch.
Cheers Craig............
AnswerID: 482061

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Sunday, Apr 01, 2012 at 12:03

Sunday, Apr 01, 2012 at 12:03
Craig, as a further example, the first vehicle to travel to The Tip was a 1927 Baby Austin Seven. Which incidentally was my first vehicle, now I own a mower with more horsepower! Neither of these had a winch fitted. LOL

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 757350

Follow Up By: Crackles - Sunday, Apr 01, 2012 at 12:16

Sunday, Apr 01, 2012 at 12:16
Yes just when you near the top & have almost completed this iconic journey, an XD Falcon pulls up next to you on the Jardine ferry to pop your bubble :-)
FollowupID: 757352

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Sunday, Apr 01, 2012 at 12:22

Sunday, Apr 01, 2012 at 12:22
I know!! Humbling, isn't it?

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 757354

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Sunday, Apr 01, 2012 at 13:07

Sunday, Apr 01, 2012 at 13:07
But you must remember that they do not have a fridge full of coldies in the back of the XD.

So you return the favour and pop the top off a cold one and burst THEIR bubble. We really "rough it " these days hey?

We didn't have even a tent or a swag. Just went to sleep on the ground under an old blanket or in the car.

Phil
FollowupID: 757355

Reply By: bigonion - Sunday, Apr 01, 2012 at 18:18

Sunday, Apr 01, 2012 at 18:18
oooops all that info could be helpfull ...roookie..
thanks for the links and info that has been added. gu patrol that could be loaded to the eyeballs with gear no trailer though. no real plans on any particular track as of yet the wet season has been relentless this year .
AnswerID: 482105

Follow Up By: Member - Josh- Monday, Apr 02, 2012 at 08:22

Monday, Apr 02, 2012 at 08:22
If that's all your taking don't bother with the big name expensive winches. We had the 12.000 pnd repco winch and it pulled our car and trailer out of some very hard places including gunshot. So I would say anything like that would do you IMHO. We paid around $700 for it. I ran the cable out and wound it back in every month or two. As I mentioned earlier I recon most winches fail from lack of maintanace. They sit on the front of a vehicle not being used in the weather for months/years then people expect them to work when needed.

Josh
FollowupID: 757411

Sponsored Links