OK to arrive at Van Park at 11pm?

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 01, 2012 at 09:53
ThreadID: 92937 Views:2989 Replies:15 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
Just wondering your thoughts on this? Also, are 2am arrivals a regular occurrence?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rockape - Sunday, Apr 01, 2012 at 10:07

Sunday, Apr 01, 2012 at 10:07
Mate,
have you got your am's and pm's mixed up.

Don't think you would be regular arrivals at 2 in the morning.
AnswerID: 482043

Reply By: Member - Serendipity(WA) - Sunday, Apr 01, 2012 at 10:12

Sunday, Apr 01, 2012 at 10:12
I would say like any business they would be closed after hours. There is a responsibility to the tenants already in the caravan park to enjoy a quiet nights sleep without a new arrival in the middle of the night.

Late arrivals does beg the question about trip planning for the traveler. Why are you driving at such a late hour risking tiredness and night animal collisions.

Should you find yourself in the situation of arriving at a location in the middle of the night I would take a choice of pulling in 50kms out of town and just sleeping the rest of the night there or if no other choice just sleeping in the carpark to the chosen caravan park until morning.

But I would not think you could book into a caravan park after hours.

Cheers

Serendipity

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 482045

Reply By: GT Campers - Sunday, Apr 01, 2012 at 10:14

Sunday, Apr 01, 2012 at 10:14
fat chance by 7pm, let alonne 2am! You sure you got the AM and PM the right way around? If, for whatever reason, I can't get to a CP by around 6-7pm (depending on summer or winter etc ) I bush camp or overnight in a Roadside Rest Area .. Not that I aim for caravan parks too often!
AnswerID: 482046

Reply By: PJR (NSW) - Sunday, Apr 01, 2012 at 10:28

Sunday, Apr 01, 2012 at 10:28
No matter what plans you make the time can get away from you.

On our trip to Cape York, our eldest son, his wife and my wife and myself decided to put the cars on the Queenslander and use the train between Brisbane and Cairns. It was due into Cairns at around 7:30PM. Then it takes an hour to get the cars off and then some to find the caravan park and so on. Add a few of hours for being late and its close to midnight when we got to the park. And after booking cabins and paying up front we were not about to pitch a tent on the footpath in Cairns for the night. Besides we would also have done our dough.

Sometimes you cannot help it. But you minimise the noise as much as you can.

Phil

PS: The train was worth more than we paid for. An excellent experience and I recommend it to all.

AnswerID: 482049

Reply By: ozjohn0 - Sunday, Apr 01, 2012 at 10:35

Sunday, Apr 01, 2012 at 10:35
OK to arrive at Van Park at 11pm?

Well it is April 1st.
AnswerID: 482051

Reply By: member - mazcan - Sunday, Apr 01, 2012 at 10:39

Sunday, Apr 01, 2012 at 10:39
hi hgmonaro

a park is a place to rest overnight after a day of travelling
and there-fore
you shouldnt expect to be able to arrive and disturb everyone else at those rediculous hours
fair go mate caravan parks aren't truck stops and should not be confused with them
if you cant arrive at a respectable hour then find an alternative as suggested
to the best of my knowledge most parks close there office by 7-30-8pm or ealier in some cases with exceptions on long weekends
cheers
AnswerID: 482053

Reply By: HGMonaro - Sunday, Apr 01, 2012 at 10:49

Sunday, Apr 01, 2012 at 10:49
Ohh, I don't think it's right either. Have some relatives that do and we disagreed. If 2am arrivals were at all common I would have thought I'd heard grumbles on this site or 'Caravaneers'. Just wanted a wider audiences opinion.

Thanks!
AnswerID: 482054

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Sunday, Apr 01, 2012 at 10:54

Sunday, Apr 01, 2012 at 10:54
If you can't help it, a late arrival say 10 or 11pm can be managed if you are like little mice and make no noise. I have arrived at parks at 6 or 7pm and found the office closed. Just found a vacant site and checked-in early next morning. Not a problem to anyone.

That could not be as bad as those campers with sliding doors opening and closing them every 20 seconds late at night! Or a TV in the adjacent site jabbering away until past 11pm!

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 482055

Reply By: Crackles - Sunday, Apr 01, 2012 at 11:04

Sunday, Apr 01, 2012 at 11:04
Simple answer is each park would be different so courtesy would be to ring 1st at a reasonable hour to make arrangements.
Cheers Craig,,,,,,,
AnswerID: 482057

Reply By: olcoolone - Sunday, Apr 01, 2012 at 11:10

Sunday, Apr 01, 2012 at 11:10
We have arrived with prior arrangements late at night or early morning (1 to 2am) with out an issue........ and some places it is safer to stay in a caravan park.

Arriving at a late PM or early AM is not nothing to do with trip planing..... we might leave home at 5pm after work and have to travel 7+ hours to get to where we want to be that night or we may have to meet others for our main trip to start...... caravan parks are a stop over point before our trips begin.

Whats the difference with someone arriving late PM early AM to someone getting up a 4.30-5am to pack up their caravan, wind up their noisy stabilising legs, roll up their awning and yell at their kids or partner whilst trying to hook up the caravan....... when we arrive it is a very quick set up of maybe 10 -15 minutes before we are in bed.

SO yes get there what ever time you like, make as little noise as possible and be considerate of others.......
AnswerID: 482059

Follow Up By: Member - Greydemon (WA) - Sunday, Apr 01, 2012 at 13:23

Sunday, Apr 01, 2012 at 13:23
You ask what is the difference between someone arriving early am and someone leaving at 5.00am. The answer is that there is no difference at all. They are both rude and inconsiderate campers who have deliberately planned their trip so as to be convenient for them but totally inconsiderate for all other campers in the area.

They probably both have generators too.

FollowupID: 757357

Follow Up By: Kris and Kev - Sunday, Apr 01, 2012 at 13:31

Sunday, Apr 01, 2012 at 13:31
I have to agree with the point about caravaners packing up early. It can be very annoying. Not to mention those noisy air conditioners! Some like to run them even if they are not needed. But I must admit, the newer ones seem to be a bit quieter.
Just some more reasons to try and avoid caravan parks.
Kevin
FollowupID: 757358

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Sunday, Apr 01, 2012 at 17:35

Sunday, Apr 01, 2012 at 17:35
If I wanted peace and quiet I would stay home ...... at least I know my neighbours good and bad points.

Maybe we could stop children in caravan parks at the same time..... making too much noise playing and riding their bikes..... running through our personal space.

And having to set up next to grumpy neighbours as above.

Life is tough..... I have never been annoyed enough to worry about what is happening next door or down the other end of a caravan park.

And Greydemon... everything we do in life is inconsiderate to someone else.... it's just that some things bother some more then others..... a bus running late, a shop not having what you want, your favourite car part is getting used by someone else....

I don't see a problem with generators..... do you realise how hard it is to get a 1-3/4 inch straight through exhaust system for a Honda EU20 and another thing I enjoy is parking in the middle of the in/out driveway of the caravan parks.... unbelievable how grumpy the other caravan park users get.... on minute they have all the time in the world and then all of a sudden time is critical. LOL
FollowupID: 757367

Follow Up By: Member - Greydemon (WA) - Sunday, Apr 01, 2012 at 18:09

Sunday, Apr 01, 2012 at 18:09
QED

FollowupID: 757370

Follow Up By: Rockape - Sunday, Apr 01, 2012 at 19:19

Sunday, Apr 01, 2012 at 19:19
Cool one,
I am with you. We seem to be able to place people in a box and unless they conform to the way they like it, they are condemned to hell.

Children, many would have them shot and dismembered for making noise. How dare they be kids. I love to see kids having fun.

I just think if these abhorrent (big word for a knuckle dragger) people who leave early should be removed from society.

Bonus. Then the ones left behind can sleep till midday without interruption.

Bit like the ones that pull into a TRUCK PARKING BAY and try to abuse the driver for having having his fridge pan running. Love to see them when a triple pulls in with a load of cattle.

Young fella down our court fires up his Western star prime mover anywhere between 3 and 5 in the morning. He keeps the revs down and short changes so as not to make to much noise. I say good on him for being considerate.

May I not be a inward looking and intolerant old codger.

I will now go and retire to my box.

RA.
FollowupID: 757383

Follow Up By: Member - Jack - Sunday, Apr 01, 2012 at 20:19

Sunday, Apr 01, 2012 at 20:19
olcoolone, this year Honda are running larger engines in MotoGP.

I believe there is to be a range of Megaphone exhausts available that will definitely enhance the power of your EU20 Generator. I will be getting one for mine. Can't wait to fire it up in a Caravan Park. Hope it does not inconvenience anyone. They are all welcome to stand around and comment.

Jack

The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 757388

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Sunday, Apr 01, 2012 at 21:19

Sunday, Apr 01, 2012 at 21:19
yeah Im with Olcoolone and Rockape.

many parks will alllow you to setup after they shut if prebooked. In some places it just works out that its "that" distance from a major city which may mean its not uncommon for late arrivals.

Those of us with kids may not want to stop and set up and then arrive at 8 am the next day unable to checkin for 4 hours.

Perhaps, just as some parks have a dog area, maybe a "cranky and intolerant" area that doesnt allow engines (other than electric gophers) before 9am and after 3pm, no children etc
FollowupID: 757393

Follow Up By: bruce b2 - Monday, Apr 02, 2012 at 16:13

Monday, Apr 02, 2012 at 16:13
i'm with jack - but what about if harley davidson made a generator, just think of the beautiful sounds.

bb
FollowupID: 757435

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Monday, Apr 02, 2012 at 16:57

Monday, Apr 02, 2012 at 16:57
Yeah, but you wouldn't want to argue with any bloke who owned a Harley gennie, now would you?

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 757437

Follow Up By: Member - Greydemon (WA) - Monday, Apr 02, 2012 at 18:11

Monday, Apr 02, 2012 at 18:11
At least with a Harley generator you could be fairly confident that it would break down and go quiet after a very short period.

FollowupID: 757444

Reply By: Member - John and Lynne - Sunday, Apr 01, 2012 at 13:06

Sunday, Apr 01, 2012 at 13:06
I am sure there would be complaints if any CP encouraged such late arrivals. However a lot would depend on the size and layout of the park. In some, if you rang up and explained that you were unavoidably delayed by a breakdown or other problem, arrangements could easily be made for you to sneak quietly into a drive through site without much fuss. However many parks are badly laid out, you need assistance to find a site even in daylight, and then the sites are so tight that you have to fiddle around trying to back in. At 2am it could be a good way to get lynched even if management allowed it! Lynne
AnswerID: 482068

Reply By: get outmore - Sunday, Apr 01, 2012 at 14:51

Sunday, Apr 01, 2012 at 14:51
As you can see apparently etiquette dictates you be at the park by 5 dinner by 6 and in bed shortly after
AnswerID: 482077

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Sunday, Apr 01, 2012 at 17:20

Sunday, Apr 01, 2012 at 17:20
And on the road at 5am and set up camp by 2pm in a truck parking bay (when money runs low or want to avoid supporting local businesses).
FollowupID: 757365

Follow Up By: Rockape - Sunday, Apr 01, 2012 at 21:09

Sunday, Apr 01, 2012 at 21:09
Get outmore,
you have got it all wrong.

In by 2 in the afternoon so you can't miss days of our your lives, then a Nana nap.

1 glass of wine and dinner. Then Home and away..

Now we get to the exciting part of the evening. My kitchen rules. Sleep comes slowly after this because the body is still excited from the reality show.

Now we are really cooking until tomorrow when it all starts again.

HA. HA. HA.

Sorry if I have offended anyone but the truth hurts.
FollowupID: 757391

Follow Up By: Bluefin48 - Monday, Apr 02, 2012 at 09:16

Monday, Apr 02, 2012 at 09:16
Golly you just discribed my wife to a tee, hahah .
FollowupID: 757415

Reply By: Member - Jack - Sunday, Apr 01, 2012 at 20:21

Sunday, Apr 01, 2012 at 20:21
Seen heaps of people arrive in the early hours of the morning. They arrive, find a spot, get settled for the night and square up in the morning. No big deal. Same thing happens in the bush.

Jack

The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 482120

Reply By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Sunday, Apr 01, 2012 at 23:19

Sunday, Apr 01, 2012 at 23:19
We've seen signs up at CP entrances advising late arrivals to find a spot and report to the Office in the morning however as mentioned above, with the layout of the Parks these days finding a spot could be a little difficult.

Cheers

D

Simba, our much missed baby.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 482125

Reply By: Fab72 - Monday, Apr 09, 2012 at 09:57

Monday, Apr 09, 2012 at 09:57
No mention of the type of accomodation. Late arrival for a cabin is very different than a late arrival for a caravan.

If staying in a cabin, it's no different than when people are already there but go out to thier local for a meal and some drinks and roll back in at 11pm.....sometimes with a skin full and often noiser than when they first arrived.

Location and weather can play a big part too. If out in the remote areas and the travel has been slow going due to road closures or conditions, late arrivals have to be acceptted as "normal". Likewise if there is travel subjected to ferry arrival times etc.

Having been stuck out on the highway after the road was closed due to a truck/car accident/rollover, we had little choice than to ring ahead and inform the caravan park owners of our late arrival. 5 people sleeping in a car (no caravan) was not an option. Delayed by 5 hours!!!!!! and no alternatives in nearer towns.

Bit of a broad question I think.

Fab.
AnswerID: 482578

Sponsored Links