Cooktown to Chillagoe

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 09, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 930 Views:1849 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
What a great webb site.I intend travelling Brisbane to Brisbane via (in part) Cooktown - Laura - Palmerville - Chillagoe. Has anyone been along here in the last 12 mts or so? I realise it may be a bit boggy now but hopefully it will have dried out by June. I will be in my trusty Forrester
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Cashy - Tuesday, Apr 09, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Apr 09, 2002 at 00:00
Steve,

I was up in the cape last year and the area you are talking about is possible in a forrester. The only thing is that the road from Laura to Palerville via Maytown was closed when we were there by the proprty owner on the Palmerville side of Maytown and is unlikely to be opened in the near future we were advised at Laura. This mean we had to go via Mareeba to Chillagoe. Also the old coach road to Maytown wouldn't be suitable for a low clearance 4WD. It requires high clearance as some of the track iserroided and there are some big rock steps. Also Low range is advisable for some of the hills.

Happy Travels

Cashy
AnswerID: 2712

Follow Up By: Steve - Tuesday, Apr 09, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Apr 09, 2002 at 00:00
Thanks Cashy, I know about the Maytown story but am intending to go along the Penninsula Development Rd to Fairview then Palmerville. I guess my main concern is the Mitchell River
FollowupID: 1009

Reply By: Cairns Offroad Training & Tours - Thursday, Apr 11, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Apr 11, 2002 at 00:00
We have had one of our driest wet seasons in the last 60 years up here I don't think you will have any trouble with the Mitchell specially by June. I am doing a motorcyle tour Mareeba chillagoe palmerville laura maytown solomomon mine hurricane station mt carbine mt molloy kuranda via black mountain rd cairns on the 4-5-6-of May I will let you know how things look when I get back Cheers Rob
AnswerID: 2763

Follow Up By: Steve - Wednesday, Apr 17, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Apr 17, 2002 at 00:00
Thanks Rob I look forward to your "report".
FollowupID: 1113

Sponsored Links