Lost Tourists in Finke Gorge

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 04, 2012 at 10:48
ThreadID: 93002 Views:2359 Replies:4 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Lost tourists feared attack by dingoes
Lost tourists - link here - at least spent a couple of days waiting for help to arrive, and seem to have had plenty of water.

But did they have adequate comms and did they know to let their tyres down? May this be a timely reminder for all of us - overseas tourist or local - to be well prepared when going to remote places.

Cheers,

Val.

J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: olcoolone - Wednesday, Apr 04, 2012 at 12:31

Wednesday, Apr 04, 2012 at 12:31
I can't see how it happened if they stayed on the correct roads, many tourists forget how remote Australia is..... including being only 100 kilometres from a major town/city.

Heard an interview of how they were scared of the dingo's and "Other Wild Animals"..... didn't think Territorians were all that bad, they seem a friendly bunch we I've been there..... this comment alone showed how little research they did regarding the Australian outback.

"But did they have adequate comms and did they know to let their tyres down?"

I would say NO!.... and you expect them to abide by this when most Aussie tourists don't.

Wonder what vehicle they were driving? ....... Toyota Echo, Honda Jazz...
AnswerID: 482308

Follow Up By: Member - Richard H - West NSW - Wednesday, Apr 04, 2012 at 17:24

Wednesday, Apr 04, 2012 at 17:24
Look where they come from. They have no idea of Australia, and their driving skills - good grief!

I had a young German fellow & his wife travel with us on one occasion. He pulled up near us off the Stuart Highway near Kulgera. This bloke was travelling in a "Fritz in a Britz" troopy, and come nightfall, both the two of them got in the back, and didn't come out. Though I think natures call caused this fellow to emerge.

He came over to our fire with his torch on and asked us why we were outside, and weren't we frightened of the snakes that come out of the bush and attack you [in bloody July in Central Oz]. My son, his lad & I were swagging it.

Turns out some smart arse in a hotel in Brisbane had told him this, plus a heap of other crap horror stories. He was put right then and they were good company.

I wonder if the lost Asians were not the victims of a similar caper?
FollowupID: 757554

Follow Up By: rumpig - Wednesday, Apr 04, 2012 at 17:27

Wednesday, Apr 04, 2012 at 17:27
considering the sand can get pretty soft in places when you drive through Finke Gorge, i can understand them getting bogged. i remember several sections of sand being very soft as we went into Boggy Hole and exited the park out the other end on one of our trips, so it's no surprise to me that people could get stuck out there if they were travelling alone and were also inexperienced 4wder's
FollowupID: 757555

Follow Up By: Hairy (WA) - Friday, Apr 06, 2012 at 11:37

Friday, Apr 06, 2012 at 11:37
Getting lost on the Boggy Hole track can be very easy at certain times and so can getting bogged too, and if you have had much to do with the dingos in central Australia in recent tirmes you may think a slight fear of them a healthy fear too.

Cheers
FollowupID: 757654

Reply By: Hairy (WA) - Wednesday, Apr 04, 2012 at 19:24

Wednesday, Apr 04, 2012 at 19:24
Gday Val,
I couldnt count how many people Ive seen stuck in the Finke.......quick sand.....soft sand.........bottomed out on rocks......lost......mechanical failure.......usually inexpierience though.
Its not dangerous though as there is plenty of traffic through there so comms isnt really essential......as long as you cary plenty of beer and food, someone will find you sooner or later. LOL

Cheers
AnswerID: 482329

Follow Up By: Fred G NSW - Wednesday, Apr 04, 2012 at 19:58

Wednesday, Apr 04, 2012 at 19:58
Hairy, the Alice misses you big time LOL LOL.

Best advice so far.
FollowupID: 757571

Reply By: Member - MUZBRY(Vic) - Wednesday, Apr 04, 2012 at 20:06

Wednesday, Apr 04, 2012 at 20:06
Gday
Are these the same three that tried to drive to Morton Island last week

Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 482332

Follow Up By: Member - Jack - Wednesday, Apr 04, 2012 at 20:37

Wednesday, Apr 04, 2012 at 20:37
I think they turned back because their snorkel was not long enough ... : )

Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 757579

Follow Up By: mikehzz - Thursday, Apr 05, 2012 at 07:51

Thursday, Apr 05, 2012 at 07:51
They were on the gps alternate route :-)
FollowupID: 757599

Reply By: whisky_mac - Thursday, Apr 05, 2012 at 09:26

Thursday, Apr 05, 2012 at 09:26
Camped at Boggy Hole for a few days last year, about August. Were amazed that some northern europeans came through in a hired toyota and asked if this was the way to Hermansburg, they had no idea about the country. We moved out a day or so later and they must have got through because we did not see a toyota bogged so all OK.
AnswerID: 482363

Sponsored Links